The National Anthem

• @weststigers said in The National Anthem:

You’ve obviously been taught a one-sided narrative that equates to white people are racist, violent and bad and black people are tolerant, peaceful and good.

What a pathetic response!

• Please look at one of the organisations that sponsor the NSW Blues, KARI and the work they do!

• @Properossi Thanks for the information!

• @Properossi said in The National Anthem:

@cochise I’ve been watching the conversation on this topic progress and some replies on the topic are a little strange.

I am a proud Wakka Wakka man and an Aboriginal business owner.

We focus on increasing Aboriginal participation across all industries among many other things.

Recently we have helped a few young fellas get jobs in the construction industry in drafting and construction.

With the support of employers we can help these fellas build a future.

By providing awareness of the past it helps overcome barriers.

We have:

• high incarceration rates
    • high mortality rates
    • lower life expectancy
    • loss of culture and language
    • a large number of kids in care
    • higher unemployment rates
    • lower education outcomes
      And many more

Aboriginal people are the oldest living culture on earth which nearly came to an end a little over two hundred years ago so much has changed since then.

Aboriginal people have been here for up to 80,000 years potentially 120,000 years

It’s amazing so many people don’t know about Aboriginal history and when they do it changes their perceptions of Aboriginal people and their culture and they appreciate it.

If an Aboriginal person can get a job that can change their lives their families and a whole community.

I sincerely thank you for this post.

I’m a business owner too and believe much adversity is overcome by giving someone purpose through income via employment.

@cochise said in The National Anthem:

@weststigers said in The National Anthem:

You’ve obviously been taught a one-sided narrative that equates to white people are racist, violent and bad and black people are tolerant, peaceful and good.

What a pathetic response!

The response was longer than you quoted before calling it pathetic. Perhaps read the rest.

What’s pathetic is that I’ve been saying welfare on the basis of skin colour is racism of low expectations and it takes Properossi to say that a lot of things can be overcome by simple employment rather than a welfare cheque before you stop arguing the toss.

I’m a business owner as well and it’s amazing what changes can be made in people when you give them a purpose. The SJW stuff is really tiresome.

• @weststigers thanks for your sincerity, employment is only one step to overcoming the disadvantage that exists for my Mob.

Unfortunately some jobs are short term and we need sustainable employment outcomes to make change.

Even today people perceive us as lazy, stupid, dole bludgers! These qualities exist in all demographics of Australia and is not unique to Aboriginal people!

The past government policies and practices need to be acknowledged and changes need to be made to address these past mistakes.

It’s not all about football, we now have more Aboriginal people studying Medicine than playing at the top levels of football, great achievement.

This is such a massive task to address and we can start by making a proactive move to become aware of the past, the present and the future of Aboriginal people and our culture.

Challenge yourselves to do some cultural awareness training and learn more.

• It’s a free country and people can sing it or not

• @Properossi said in The National Anthem:

@weststigers thanks for your sincerity, employment is only one step to overcoming the disadvantage that exists for my Mob.

Unfortunately some jobs are short term and we need sustainable employment outcomes to make change.

Even today people perceive us as lazy, stupid, dole bludgers! These qualities exist in all demographics of Australia and is not unique to Aboriginal people!

The past government policies and practices need to be acknowledged and changes need to be made to address these past mistakes.

It’s not all about football, we now have more Aboriginal people studying Medicine than playing at the top levels of football, great achievement.

This is such a massive task to address and we can start by making a proactive move to become aware of the past, the present and the future of Aboriginal people and our culture.

Fair and balanced comment and if anything, this forum topic has encouraged me to look into the issues further.

• @weststigers said in The National Anthem:

@Properossi said in The National Anthem:

@weststigers thanks for your sincerity, employment is only one step to overcoming the disadvantage that exists for my Mob.

Fair and balanced comment and if anything, this forum topic has encouraged me to look into the issues further.

Simplest way to help Aboriginal people is through education… not as easy as you think in some parts of the country.
    Biggest problem in plenty of towns seems to be the parents don’t care and have to be given incentives to send their kids to school.
    Same goes for plenty of white kids growing up in similar poor conditions.
    There’s been enormous amounts of money thrown at the problem but the success ultimately falls on the people themselves… meaning the adults.
    We are seeing many more educated and well known, Aboriginals going into their communities to help but their needs to be more done.
    I am always surprised that a community that espouses its ‘mob’ closeness has such poor immediate family standards right through the country.

• @weststigers I did read the rest, I even responded to it in another post, but I guess you didn’t read that! You questioned how I was educated on the issue, I’m allowed to call you out on that pathetic comment!

I am not saying welfare is the answer, I have told you many times that I am speaking of initiatives to close the gap. I’m leaving you to have your argument as it is clear you have no intention to have a proper discussion.

• @cochise said in The National Anthem:

@weststigers I did read the rest, I even responded to it in another post, but I guess you didn’t read that! You questioned how I was educated on the issue, I’m allowed to call you out on that pathetic comment!

I am not saying welfare is the answer, I have told you many times that I am speaking of initiatives to close the gap. I’m leaving you to have your argument as it is clear you have no intention to have a proper discussion.

😂

• @balmain-boy said in The National Anthem:

@weststigers said in The National Anthem:

@Abraham>
    I just find it strange that they won’t sing the anthem, but they’re happy to play for the jersey.

Really, why? Why shouldn’t players want to play at the highest level of the game. And they an identify with being from NSW or QLD.

Not singing a song (which has nothing to do with their state and which doesn’t represent them or their people) seems totally reasonable.

2 completely separate matters.

I don’t normally agree with Abrahams posts however in this case he is right. You say the song doesn’t represent “them or their people” which in itself is pretty discriminatory. There is no denigration of indigenous people or culture in the words. The song doesn’t directly represent any cultural group in this country. The words actually say "Australians all " which to me suggests inclusion rather than exclusion. The word young may be out of place but could be easily replaced with bold. The only issue really would be the bit about in historys page advancing Australia.

• My main issue with the Anthem is that is deadly boring.

In part because we don’t have a history of triumph and conquer like the Brits, or of fighting against the odds to take our freedom by force, like the Americans. So we can’t really produce an anthem that’s inspiring or gives you goose bumps like others do.

We are the former convict colony that still salutes the queen. Its hard to come up with an inspiring ballad to embody that sort of uneventful history.

• @Abraham said in The National Anthem:

My main issue with the Anthem is that is deadly boring.

In part because we don’t have a history of triumph and conquer like the Brits, or of fighting against the odds to take our freedom by force, like the Americans. So we can’t really produce an anthem that’s inspiring or gives you goose bumps like others do.

We are the former convict colony that still salutes the queen. Its hard to come up with an inspiring ballad to embody that sort of uneventful history.

Khe Sanh?

(Yes, I am kidding.)

• @Cultured_Bogan

Its either that or we declare war on Great Britain, bomb Buckingham Palace, Kidnap the Queen, and get her to sign over our independence in blood while ScoMo threatens to strangle her with his Sharkies scarf …

Now even i could come up with a rippa anthem to commemorate that.

• @Abraham HAHA, that’s quality mate! 😂

Recent Topics