The National Anthem

• @Papacito said in The National Anthem:

@jirskyr a lot of people in very senior roles (government and, to a lesser degree, corporations) are there because of the school they went to, family and professional connections.

Even having said that, the correlation is not always clear.

Are people in power because they got a free pass by going to the right schools and knowing the right people? Or do ambitious, power hungry types make sure they go to the right school and know the right people?

Unlike the US, we don’t collect ethnicity on our census, so opportunities for systemic discrimination through resources and funding are more or less eliminated.

There are some people in our society that do face some obstacles that are vaguely related to culture (e.g Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in remote communities being unable to purchase specific land due to poor surveying records, outdated land titles, zoning and associated lending headaches). But by the same token, there is nothing preventing these people from purchasing a block of land elsewhere.

“White privilege” is certainly a buzzword at the moment, but the evidence supporting it is falsified pretty easily.

In this case, it’s not though, so?

• @jirskyr we’re talking about national anthem though mate - not much disagreement to what you are saying but posit that WE, as the white men who “went to the right schools” or “knew the right people” empower our Natives.

I guess that’s the only thing I’m saying, whereas others on this thread would endanger that right for them to have an equal footing in general quality/ease of life, a ‘level playing field’ as I’d put it and probably have lol… this concept is just kind of mind-boggling that others could even feel so strongly against what’s happening

• @Papacito said in The National Anthem:

@jirskyr a lot of people in very senior roles (government and, to a lesser degree, corporations) are there because of the school they went to, family and professional connections.

That’s the privilege right there!

I can’t state it any more clearly any more times. Show me, for instance, the elite school full of aboriginal kids or poor white kids or month-old immigrants who don’t speak English as first language.

• @jirskyr said in The National Anthem:

@Papacito said in The National Anthem:

That’s the privilege right there!

I can’t state it any more clearly any more times. Show me, for instance, the elite school full of aboriginal kids or poor white kids or month-old immigrants who don’t speak English as first language.

This argument is as flimsy as a Darius Boyd tackle.

If you can’t speak English, how could you go to an elite school that teaches in English?

A representative portion of Aboriginal kids go to elite schools.

“Poor white kids” suggests you now now think privilege (f it exists) is not defined by skin shade?

• The portion is negligent. I went to one of these schools and let me tell you many kids are non-English fluent at first, at least and then go on to receive the absolute best resources and assistance from said organisation to result in a disproportionate amount of AUSTRALIAN’s who are actually doing well. Not speaking about refugees at all (just to be clear as I’ve not got a bad word to say for those people). Does not bode well for the future tbh

• Banned

@Papacito yep no longer “white privelege” because he has finally remembered that white kids are growing up in poverty, living lives of crime and being locked up, addicted to drugs and sleeping rough as well.
    Although those people do not fit the narrative as their white skin makes them evil.

• Banned

@jirskyr nothing you have written points to the fabricated title of “white privelege”. It sounds like you have come from money…half your luck. I have never met a person who had a free ride through University. Sounds like your parents have done a good job setting you up for life, again congratulations.

Thats not white privelege though. Im sure there are plenty of people from all cultures and colours who are experiencing similar…not where I live but Im sure its happening. Im trying my darndest to ensure my kids experience similar. Hopefully they will have decent bank accounts when school is over, not because of their “white privelege” but because their mother and I have religiously garnished part of our wages each and every week to put something away for them. That is not privelege, it is foreward planning, discipline and sacrifice.

Maybe instead of whining that you have had it easier than most you could give back and instead of projecting your guilt on to an entire group of people you could realise that many white people are struggling in this country and they dont get half the leg up that Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders could, should they want it.

• Personally I think anyone who feels the need to “promote” their above average income bracket on a public forum is Displaying a fair amount of insecurity. But hey, that’s just me.

• @Tiger_Steve hey, who said that in here? You seem to have just blown in and made a racially motivated comment toward someone on a clearly sensitive thread. He obviously wasn’t making a comment about wealth or skin colour but the fact Indigenous people generally, in good areas of Australia, get afforded equal opportunities. Just saying

• @TieDye not just ‘blowing in.’ Have been a regular contributor to the forum for a while now. Definitely not racially motivated - why is it that every opinion in society that differs from someone else’s is now branded as racist? Strange really.
    I just think it’s interesting someone has to blow up their tyres by promoting their above average income bracket. But that’s just me. Anyway - carry on. I’ll move on to a different thread …

Recent Topics