The National Anthem

• ForumSupporter

The Anthem should be reserved for National Sporting teams and events…the end…

Players singing it has only come into vogue in recent times…much like all All Aussie cricketers must wear the baggy green 1st session in the field…it’s trendy…sing don’t sing…no big issue…making it an issue only causes more divide…

Much ado about nothing this…

• Chambers has said he won’t be singing it either.
    Though he’ll happily accept his check for representing Australia wearing the Green n Gold.

My questions are why are they choosing to not sing?

What do they want?

Do they want to be treated like every other Australian?

• @TIGER They have said that the anthem doesn’t represent them or their families.

• @TIGER said in The National Anthem:

Chambers has said he won’t be singing it either.
    Though he’ll happily accept his check for representing Australia wearing the Green n Gold.

What do they want?

When you think about it though, they’re not just every other Australian and are our native peoples. Whilst I do sympathise with kev’s Views and Geo - what Cochise and I guess demps even being aware of and posting this is the problem…

What do any of us actually know about the themes that still play out in society today especially in our richest, whitest areas in this country, that may be having a detrimental affect on youth aboriginal culture… my take on it is that it’s a great thing our leaders ARE actually beginning to Make these discussions very serious and with an aim to improving quality of life for all . Sure, we cannot be expected to pay for all of these changes ourselves or even be forced to accept them if we do not agree

To me it just seems that the harder you pull against it, the more you’ll see that downside everywhere and I do live in a community where there is much youth on the streets with immense talent and yet no ARL members/leaders can do anything for them single-handedly… that’s why we are all having this conversation… that is why we are all being asked our opinions. Thanks

• Banned

As there has been an entire gender covering all cultures.
    They are not the only ones treated poorly.
    Its up to their leaders to use the resources and facilities/programs on offer to mend their own communities. I saw a documentary last year on sugar. A town in the NT had the highest consumption per capita of Coca Cola in the world. It was 1-2 litres per person per day if memory serves me. It was sending everyone crazy and they were dying in their forties from liver disease. Through working with the government on the problem, the elders imposed bans on the products. The whole town went dry and improvements were recorded.
    This small scale initiative needs to be adopted culture wide on many issues from eating healthy, attending school, combating addictions, combating incest and domestic violence and creating a sub culture of working to succeed as a start.
    You cant sit in the corner, thumb in mouth saying ‘woe is me’ forever. I see these slacktivism inspired protests as an extension of that.

• @cochise said in The National Anthem:

@TIGER They have said that the anthem doesn’t represent them or their families.

So do they want the anthem changed or are they just happy to not participate because they feel it doesn’t represent them?

Can anyone tell me what part of the anthem is offensive to them?

• @DieHarder said in The National Anthem:

@TIGER said in The National Anthem:

Chambers has said he won’t be singing it either.

What do they want?

When you think about it though, they’re not just every other Australian and are our native peoples. Whilst I do sympathise with kev’s Views and Geo - what Cochise and I guess demps even being aware of and posting this is the problem…

What do any of us actually know about the themes that still play out in society today especially in our richest, whitest areas in this country, that may be having a detrimental affect on youth aboriginal culture… my take on it is that it’s a great thing our leaders ARE actually beginning to Make these discussions very serious and with an aim to improving quality of life for all . Sure, we cannot be expected to pay for all of these changes ourselves or even be forced to accept them if we do not agree

To me it just seems that the harder you pull against it, the more you’ll see that downside everywhere and I do live in a community where there is much youth on the streets with immense talent and yet no ARL members/leaders can do anything for them single-handedly… that’s why we are all having this conversation… that is why we are all being asked our opinions. Thanks

So they want special treatment?

I don’t understand what they want, if they want to be Australian then they get treated like every other Australian.

I as a white Australian could claim that I’m at a disadvantage because there’s so many programs and opportunities that I’m not able to access because they’re exclusively for Aboriginal and Torres Straight islander people.

Do they want special programmes exclusively for them or do they want to be part of a nation who includes everybody?

The problem is, I’m not sure if they know what they want.

So they want special treatment?

Because all that does is divide Australia more.
    Do they want exclusive programmes specifically for them, or do they want to be part of an inclusive nation?

Do you think if we changed the anthem, flag and date of Australia day to whatever they want it to be everything will be rosy?

• @LARDS said in The National Anthem:

@cochise said in The National Anthem:

Can anyone tell me what part of the anthem is offensive to them?

I’d like to know that too.

• From what I heard the Word “YOUNG and free” suggests the young country ignores the 40000 years of Aboriginal history.

• I wondered what was offensive also and people seem to think it is the line below

“For those who’ve come across the seas”

But I think it is more that they are not mentioned at all and people who have come across the seas where.

I don’t want to get to technical but they have tracked the Australian indigenous migration to a single group that left Africa around 70 000 years ago.

• ForumSupporter

girt is offensive to fat people

• @BigUnit said in The National Anthem:

From what I heard the Word “YOUNG and free” suggests the young country ignores the 40000 years of Aboriginal history.

Yes the line “Young and free” but when you read the original lyrics and the verses that come after the 2nd verse make you question if the tone when written was really about Advancing all Australians or about the advancement of one group of Australians!

• Verse One
    Australia’s sons let us rejoice,
    For we are young and free;
    We’ve golden soil and wealth for toil,
    Our home is girt by sea;
    Our land abounds in Nature’s gifts
    Of beauty rich and rare;
    In history’s page, let every stage
    Advance Australia fair!
    In joyful strains then let us sing,
    “Advance Australia fair!”

Verse Two
    When gallant Cook from Albion sail’d,
    To trace wide oceans o’er,
    True British courage bore him on,
    Till he landed on our shore.
    Then here he raised Old England’s flag,
    The standard of the brave;
    With all her faults we love her still,
    “Brittannia rules the wave!”
    In joyful strains then let us sing

Verse Three
    While other nations of the globe
    Behold us from afar,
    We’ll rise to high renown and shine
    Like our glorious southern star;
    From England, Scotia, Erin’s Isle,
    Who come our lot to share,
    Let all combine with heart and hand
    To advance Australia fair!

Verse Four
    Shou’d foreign foe e’er sight our coast,
    Or dare a foot to land,
    We’ll rouse to arms like sires of yore
    To guard our native strand;
    Brittannia then shall surely know,
    Beyond wide ocean’s roll,
    Her sons in fair Australia’s land
    Still keep a British soul.
    In joyful strains the let us sing

The current 2nd verse was introduced as a “New” Third Verse and was first sung in 1901 at Federation.

Verse One
    Australia’s sons let us rejoice,
    For we are young and free;
    We’ve golden soil and wealth for toil,
    Our home is girt by sea;
    Our land abounds in Nature’s gifts
    Of beauty rich and rare;
    In history’s page, let every stage
    Advance Australia fair!
    In joyful strains then let us sing,

Verse Two
    When gallant Cook from Albion sail’d,
    To trace wide oceans o’er,
    True British courage bore him on,
    Till he landed on our shore.
    Then here he raised Old England’s flag,
    The standard of the brave;
    With all her faults we love her still,
    “Brittannia rules the wave!”

Verse Three
    While other nations of the globe
    Behold us from afar,
    We’ll rise to high renown and shine
    Like our glorious southern star;
    From England, Scotia, Erin’s Isle,
    Who come our lot to share,
    Let all combine with heart and hand
    To advance Australia fair!

Verse Four
    Shou’d foreign foe e’er sight our coast,
    Or dare a foot to land,
    We’ll rouse to arms like sires of yore
    To guard our native strand;
    Brittannia then shall surely know,
    Beyond wide ocean’s roll,
    Her sons in fair Australia’s land
    Still keep a British soul.
    In joyful strains the let us sing

The current 2nd verse was introduced as a “New” Third Verse and was first sung in 1901 at Federation.

Ive never seen those verses.

Recent Topics