Folau could be welcomed back - Sky News

• @TigerTiger said in Folau could be welcomed back - Sky News:

@weststigers said in Folau could be welcomed back - Sky News:

@TigerTiger said in Folau could be welcomed back - Sky News:

On Folau, I’d take him…

In the cold light of day, his views are not illegal, therefore he should not be restricted in being able to voice those views by an employer.

I wouldn’t be against a blanket ban on players commenting on any religion, politics etc.

Our society is simply not mature enough to deal with controversial topics in a constructive way.

It’s not about being illegal or not, it’s about his views being representative of the organisation he is associated with. Similar to expectations surrounding public servants. His views could be taken to be inline with the broader organisation he represents (ARU in that case), which is why they did restrict him in what he could say.

But I think you get that, from what your second sentence said.

I don’t think it’s about society not being mature enough, I think it’s more about the moral outrage on social media.

Moral outrage on social media is a massive thing now, it used to be the news outlets would put out their stories, and we read them and think what we want but have no way to respond. Now, there is a way to respond, and they listen to that response. You read stories now about how so-and-so responded via twitter to the news media’s original story.

When Warner, Smith and Bancroft were facing their trouble for match fixing, there was definite swings in the media as to what their punishments should be, as was responding to social media stories, and from all appearances the final punishments also were reflecting the social response.

When a religious person comes out and says their views now, other people will jump on them and act like they are mortally wounded. And that response creates news stories. It’s not about right or wrong, for big organisations it often just is not worth the hassle.

I have my own personal thoughts about what Israel Folau is like (having never met him) from some of his tweets, but what does my opinion of a man I have never met matter? Answer used to be it doesn’t matter. Well now if I can make enough noise on social media, it will matter.

Don’t disagree with anything you’ve written.

I guess my maturity comment was pointing to the moral outrage culture. The default reaction is outrage rather than trying to understand the other person.

There’s a big discussion that’s not being had between someone’s comment and the arrival at moral outrage.

The maturity part comes in the middle where we can have a civil dialogue and arrive at respectful disagreement rather than outrage. It’s really easy to pi$$ someone off these days 😆

Yeah, I hear that. I think people find it fun and enjoyable to get offended. Sort of like stirring someone up can be fun. Plus they like the fact that people are listening to them, like their opinion does matter (even though it may not even be their real opinion if they thought about it)

And I’m a person, I’m sure I do this sometimes too without realising.

The above posts are why I come to this forum. Two people sharing their well thought out views, respectfully.

• @NT_Tiger said in Folau could be welcomed back - Sky News:

I wonder if we could get Hayne and Folau as a package. Balance each other out?

Lol
    They could play on the same side …
    Post Try celebrations could be a bit awkward .

• @weststigers said in Folau could be welcomed back - Sky News:

@TIGER said in Folau could be welcomed back - Sky News:

@upthetigers said in Folau could be welcomed back - Sky News:

@TIGER Couldn’t agree more… religious nutjobs are cancer.

I’m not religious, but not everything about religion is 100% bad. We need some balance to the judgment of others views.

If there was only one turd in a pool, would you dive in?

Come on mate…take it easy

Oh I’m taking it easier than The Eagles.

It’s a serious question though, would you dive in?

It’s a low resolution and lazy way of looking at things.

Nice way to avoid answering, so I’m going to assume that you wouldn’t dive in.

So what bothers me about religious beliefs are that there’s more than a few turds in their pools, yet people keep diving in.
    (When I say turds, I don’t mean individuals, I mean ideas in their holy books)

Your comment about religion not being 100% bad is what made me ask the question, even if a pool is 95% good and 5% turds you wouldn’t even dip your toe in, would you?

So why do it with religion?

I’m not avoiding anything.

I just don’t view it like you.

By that logic, you’d never do anything that wasn’t 100% perfect.

It’s an impossible standard to apply to someone or something.

No, I’d never adopt a belief system that had so many turds floating in that’s all.

The central idea of Christianity is immoral imo, I just don’t dig human sacrifices, it just doesn’t float my boat.

Can you think of something more immoral and unjust than an innocent person being punished for the guilty?

The Christian redemption system is morally bankrupt.

• @TIGER said in Folau could be welcomed back - Sky News:

I’m not religious, but not everything about religion is 100% bad. We need some balance to the judgment of others views.

So what bothers me about religious beliefs are that there’s more than a few turds in their pools, yet people keep diving in.

Your comment about religion not being 100% bad is what made me ask the question, even if a pool is 95% good and 5% turds you wouldn’t even dip your toe in, would you?

I’m not avoiding anything.

I just don’t view it like you.

By that logic, you’d never do anything that wasn’t 100% perfect.

It’s an impossible standard to apply to someone or something.

No, I’d never adopt a belief system that had so many turds floating in that’s all.

The central idea of Christianity is immoral imo, I just don’t dig human sacrifices, it just doesn’t float my boat.

Can you think of something more immoral and unjust than an innocent person being punished for the guilty?

The Christian redemption system is morally bankrupt.

Look…I’m not going to get into a lengthy religious debate, but your understanding and subsequent description is lazy at best.

But hey, some people make sense of the world through Christianity and others make sense of the world through turd in the pool analogies.

Who am I to judge?

• @NT_Tiger Doubt that Izzy would be interested in Hayne’s package. Chooks are out of the running. Izzy won’t take payment via the back door.

• @Bula said in Folau could be welcomed back - Sky News:

@NT_Tiger Doubt that Izzy would be interested in Hayne’s package. Chooks are out of the running. Izzy won’t take payment via the back door.

He’s going to have to remove that insta post first…somehow, I don’t see any of this ending well for Izzy.

• In all honesty sometimes I see players scoring tries and pointing to the sky, I used to think that was silly but then I realized they must be thanking the egyptian sun god, why else point to the sky? And I think its really cool that people are still into such gods, especially growing up in Australia. Diversity makes the world interesting.

• @TIGER said in Folau could be welcomed back - Sky News:

Boy, that whole argument could do a 360.

• @cktiger said in Folau could be welcomed back - Sky News:

Boy, that whole argument could do a 360.

When you do a 360, you end up facing the same direction.

• Folau is a mercenary he will chase top dollar in whatever sport he can get into, so it won’t be with the Tigers.

• ForumSupporter

I see poor Izzy had to start a go fund me page to cover his legal costs in taking the ARU to court…

I dunno maybe sell a house or something…

• @Geo said in Folau could be welcomed back - Sky News:

I see poor Izzy had to start a go fund me page to cover his legal costs in taking the ARU to court…

If you can find enough idiots who’ll contribute, why not.

• @Geo said in Folau could be welcomed back - Sky News:

If he gets his $10 million payout (he won’t) then he should pay them all back with interest…of course he would never do that because this is all just naked greed on his part. He’s using the old “we’re under attack” narrative to bilk religious folk out of their money. Low human…

• I can’t believe that a guy that has a $7million property portfolio and has just sold his $500K Lamborghini, has the hide to ask people to help fund his appeal against RA.
    He was the one that went against the terms of his employment contract, and blew $4million dollars.
    He needs to get down from the pulpit and go and see have some of the under privileged people live say to day, without a $7 million property portfolio.

• Overated hack. Who cares what he says or thinks. So ‘NOT NEWS’!!

Recent Topics