What a poorly coached team

• @WeHaveCheeKam said in What a poorly coached team:

@tigeress said in What a poorly coached team:

@diedpretty said in What a poorly coached team:

I wonder if all this talk of players being shopped around and everyone on notice has the players spooked. They were a rabble and nothing like the side that started the season. Maybe a few players have already given up knowing that their days here are numbered.

I’m sure this talk around some of the players getting shopped around would bring morale down, and that’s what we saw last night- shoulders dropped=couldn’t care less attitude☹
    Wouldn’t it be good if just for one season we could have no negative talk around players/coaching problems and start winning a few games instead of this garbage.
    I noticed some of the dropped shoulders on some of the poor WT’s fans at the match last night, poor sots having to sit there and watch that poor showing from our team👎

2-3 players from last nights match have apparently been put on notice (Nofo, Matulino and Mbye). To me, Mbye played no better or worse than he has all year, Nofo was one of our best, while mats was disappointing.

No excuses for that.

Wow, I didnt even notice Matulino was playing. I wondered where he was.

• @TigerTiger said in What a poorly coached team:

@WeHaveCheeKam said in What a poorly coached team:

@tigeress said in What a poorly coached team:

I wonder if all this talk of players being shopped around and everyone on notice has the players spooked. They were a rabble and nothing like the side that started the season. Maybe a few players have already given up knowing that their days here are numbered.

I’m sure this talk around some of the players getting shopped around would bring morale down, and that’s what we saw last night- shoulders dropped=couldn’t care less attitude☹
    Wouldn’t it be good if just for one season we could have no negative talk around players/coaching problems and start winning a few games instead of this garbage.
    I noticed some of the dropped shoulders on some of the poor WT’s fans at the match last night, poor sots having to sit there and watch that poor showing from our team👎

2-3 players from last nights match have apparently been put on notice (Nofo, Matulino and Mbye). To me, Mbye played no better or worse than he has all year, Nofo was one of our best, while mats was disappointing.

No excuses for that.

Wow, I didnt even notice Matulino was playing. I wondered wh

@WeHaveCheeKam said in Wests Tigers prop Alex Twal on Blues coach Brad Fittler’s radar:

Disagree with everyone in this thread. He is an above average club footballer, but he is nowhere near origin.

I like him, think he is good, but I think hes heavily overrated by this supporters group.

Does any one not agree that if he was available to QLD he would already be playing? Remember it was the tough and aggressive QLD defence after half time which really won them the game. That is made for Twal.

• @WeHaveCheeKam said in What a poorly coached team:

@Newtown said in What a poorly coached team:

" I wonder if all this talk of players being shopped around and everyone on notice has the players spooked. They were a rabble and nothing like the side that started the season. Maybe a few players have already given up knowing that their days here are numbered."

I am sure that this was a major issue with the Wests Tigers players. I worked for many years with a major company (Telstra) which every now and then would issue a press statement that they would shed a large number of staff in upcoming months. So many staff were unsure whether they were among this number and its was so clear that there was a large drop of interest in the work carried out by these staff. The press statement produced a very significant reduction in work output/interest as staff concentrated mainly on where they would find their next job.

I don’t think this is the same mate.

If your on notice, your new employer in the NRL is actually watching you. How many clubs would of watched Matulino last night and thought “wow I want this guy”. If anything, history would suggest players lift when their is contract issues.

Lets look at Nofolomu, he is practically on notice as well with no certainty on his future and he was probably our best. Its excuses. Just like when people said “noone would of beat Parra on their opening day”. Its excuses for below par performances.

The club is giving Benji and Farah guaranteed first grade matches every week until they each reach their precious 300 games. This is being done irrespective of the form each is showing every week. To be honest you would have to say that their performances are mostly below par yet each knows that they will play the following week. I wonder what effect this has on the morale of the other team members. Many of them (even in ISP) know they are in the “firing” line unlike Benji and Farah.

• For me the scary question that comes to mind is this

Where does Madge go now …he has screwed with the confidence of the side

We need changes yes …but going wholesale on a bye week reeks of desperation

I didn’t think we were too far from the mark v Souths …we didn’t get the rub of the green with a lot of the 50/50 calls …but the changes made in the backline …

• @krayola I completely agree and if you see some of my comments in the Live Game thread I was repeating the exact same thing. You can make a shout that Thompson is a better fullback than Mbye, but he is also our best winger so when he gets moved we have to bring someone like Fonua to play at wing which definitely weakens our team. Also, if you’re going to play Thompson at fullback don’t play Mbye at centre just for the sake of accompanying him somewhere in the team. It’s silly. Mbye is not a centre. All that chopping and changing throughout the game last night stifled our attack and momentum, definitely. Something Maguire needs to look at and improve in future

• @happy_tiger Agree the morale of the team must be shot now with half of them being shopped but this is where the coach should not be doing the shopping but rather a football manager employed. Maguire is now trying to build for the future as well get the best out of the present team, with the present also being undermined by the continual selection of Farah (too slow in all facets) and Benji.

• @Trevor-Love This is a good example of the mindset the powers to be of the club are …Farah is struggling to keep pace with the game and the young exciting replacement sits on the bench so Farah can get his 300 games … well bugger about winning guys and you wonder why this club is in such a mess!

• This squad was never going to be a top eight squad but the coach is a proven premiership winning coach. If the players are upset its because they are being called out for being paid more than what they are worth. Farah and Benji present no problem they are just stop gap solutions for an inadequate squad, and our best performances this year have been when they have fired.
    The problem is the wasted money on players that dont deserve it and the length of time they are contracted for three of which are currently little and or no contribution.

• @Don_Kershane said in What a poorly coached team:

Noticed whenever we put a bomb up none of our guys were fast enough to get to the catcher. Whereas Canberra, well we all see the pressure they put on our catcher.Lack of pace is the issue that needs to be addressed but can’t be done overnight or it appears years in our case.Our forwards basically have to slog all the way to the quarter line so our backs might score off a kick.
    Marsters to the forwards please.

Don’t know if it was pace that was the difference there? To me it was simply enthusiasm. We ran toward the kick recipient - they sprinted! Pretty much sums up the efforts in every facet of the game.
    We were out-enthused in every area.

• @Telltails said in What a poorly coached team:

This squad was never going to be a top eight squad but the coach is a proven premiership winning coach. If the players are upset its because they are being called out for being paid more than what they are worth. Farah and Benji present no problem they are just stop gap solutions for an inadequate squad, and our best performances this year have been when they have fired.
    The problem is the wasted money on players that dont deserve it and the length of time they are contracted for three of which are currently little and or no contribution.

Farah and Marshall have been stop gap for two years, there was no plan in place. Just short ten thinking.
    And who re-signed these guys? They re-signed when it was clear Cleary was leaving. Is anyone in charge?

• There’s 2 things that are blatantly obvious when I compare the top sides to us and were especially highlighted in that Canberra game.

1. We don’t run the ball hard enough.
    2. We don’t tackle hard enough

The 2 most basic building blocks of football and we fail at them most weeks.

There’s another big one which is
    execute our plays at speed but that only happens if we run hard enough to begin with.

We look like we’re in slow motion when we run a play compared to the good sides, watch the energy intensity and speed of Melbourne when they throw shape at a team, they put so much pressure on the D to make a split second decision, we give our opponent an age, we just don’t look threatening at all.

• @TIGER said in What a poorly coached team:

There’s 2 things that are blatantly obvious when I compare the top sides to us and were especially highlighted in that Canberra game.

1. We don’t run the ball hard enough.
    2. We don’t tackle hard enough

The 2 most basic building blocks of football and we fail at them most weeks.

There’s another big one which is
    execute our plays at speed but that only happens if we run hard enough to begin with.

We look like we’re in slow motion when we run a play compared to the good sides, watch the energy intensity and speed of Melbourne when they throw shape at a team, they put so much pressure on the D to make a split second decision, we give our opponent an age, we just don’t look threatening at all.

That is true. We start flat footed in attack and our backs do to many hit ups cause many of our forwards don’t get involved enough.

Recent Topics