Russell Packer - What Now

Man, i am over hearing about Packer lol

@TheDaBoss agreed. No-one cares anymore…good riddance and don’t come back…PLEASE

@happy_tiger Yep, Ellis was a legend. One of the WT greats. I agree we should be looking at England.

was interesting to watch nrl360 and Kent saying that Madge wanted Packer to lean out in the off season, which he did, but then he lost his “oompfh” as a player i.e not a large body any more, couldnt dent the line.

so now he’s pissed off at Madge for saying to him this is how he needs to be physically i.e leaner and “smaller”, or see ya later…

Does anybody really know what happened with Packer? Two completely different stories, a falling out with coach or injured with hip dislocation. Club and coach stayed silent but there seems to have been an attempt to move Packer by 30 June which failed due to either lack of interest by other clubs or WT would of had to carry too much of his salary for what others were prepared to pay. I find it hard to credit his agent wasn’t out there giving some form of story from Packer. The silence on all this is weird.

@2005magic said in Russell Packer - What Now:

Does anybody really know what happened with Packer? Two completely different stories, a falling out with coach or injured with hip dislocation. Club and coach stayed silent but there seems to have been an attempt to move Packer by 30 June which failed due to either lack of interest by other clubs or WT would of had to carry too much of his salary for what others were prepared to pay. I find it hard to credit his agent wasn’t out there giving some form of story from Packer. The silence on all this is weird.

If it was a hip dislocation we wouldn’t see him again this season

Daily Telegraph

Wests Tigers aren’t prepared to release prop Russell Packer despite the fact he is out-of-favour and languishing in reserve grade.

Packer has only played four NRL games this season after falling out with coach Michael Maguire.

It’s understood the pair had a disagreement over Packer losing weight and they haven’t been on speaking terms throughout the season.

As a result, the former New Zealand representative has spent most of the year in Canterbury Cup with Wests Magpies.

Packer, 29, is contracted until the end of the 2021 season and is earning approximately $650,000 this year.

He is frustrated and open to finding another club but Tigers officials are standing their ground on a player they ­believe is required.

Despite this predicament, Packer could come into contention for an NRL recall following the recent knee injury to fellow prop Ben Matulino.
Matulino injured a knee in the Tigers’ round 14 win over the Cowboys in Townsville.

The ex-Kiwi representative hasn’t trained since the setback and there are concerns he may not play again.

This may open the door for Packer, although he couldn’t crack the NRL after Matulino’s injury.
Coach Maguire has preferred to play Josh Aloiai, Alex Twal and young gun Oliver Clark up front.

While the Tigers are reluctant to release Packer, his tenure at the Tigers appears to be untenable given his strained relationship with Maguire.

The ex-Dragons, Knights and Warriors prop would be better served playing at another club where he would receive more minutes and opportunity to showcase his barnstorming best.

Wait… what isn’t Packer injured too…

I think they’ll find Packer has played more game for the Tigers than the Magpies.

Well if the club wants to get rid of him and he isn’t injured , he is basically worthless playing CC for Wests when you see the players he is playing behind at NRL level

You play him at NRL level and hope the Catalans or an NRL sees some value …really our only hope

“He’s mean, he called me fat”

@old_man_tiger said in Russell Packer - What Now:

“He’s mean, he called me fat”

I can’t see Packer saying that …I’d see the Lodge solution …out the back of the dressing rooms Madge

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.