Russell Packer - What Now

• So what happens now with Russell Packer

I know people have been critical and he obviously isn’t to Madge’s liking but he is signed on for 2 more years on big money

He also has the best winning record - 14/25 of any Tigers players with the Tigers - so we have the best record we have with him in the team

The 3 games we have lost this year when he has played
    Lost by 1 conversion to Penrith but our forwards dominated Panthers
    v Eels - 1st game at Bankwest and we lost our hooker 9 mins in
    v Dogs - We got ambushed but also Benji missed the last 20 minutes

Last Year he played 19 of 24 - with him we won 11 lost 8 without him we won 1 lost 4
    Lost

• Penalty goal v Broncos
    • Lost to Penrith with ET at Hooker
    • Lost by 2 to the Roosters
    • Lost v Sharks - No Matulino, No Benji and ET at hooker
    • Lost Canberra - Matt McIlwrick at hooker, Gamble at 5/8
    • Lost Gold Coast- No Matulino, No benji
    • Lost Dogs full strength
    • Lost Dragons full strength

When Benji plays a full game with Packer and Matulino have played together we have only lost 4 games by more then 2 points in the last 2 years

I think that Madge needs to work it out with Packer as its not like we cant win games when he plays. Madge needs to adjust his style to suit the players he has especially given Packer has the best record of any current player as far as wins and losses go

• @boonboon mate he is not even playing reserves what is the point of that???

• Thats the point though isnt it

We cant offload him and we are paying him 750k a year - Madge needs to find a way to get the best out of him because he isnt going anywhere and we cant have 750k not playing when we alreayd have 300k off our cap

No team can survive $1m under the cap

• I would say he has permission to negotiate. It’s up to him and how bad he wants to play first grade again, because he won’t be playing it here.

• Saints may take him back. Don’t know if we’ll get anyone in return though.

• @Spud_Murphy said in Russell Packer - What Now:

Saints may take him back. Don’t know if we’ll get anyone in return though.

Cap space.

• You play him in CC and hopefully pride kicks in and he finds his best footy

• The reality is Twal, Mikalele, Aloai, Matulino and even Eiso are our performing him this year.
    Madge has no choice in this situation.

He was overpaid and hence Madge has told him to look elsewhere as he is not living up to his contract along with others.

We want accountability at this club sometimes a strong stance sets a tone. I think we have to get big minutes out of Aloai and Mikalele in the middle so the others can play a smaller role.

• @boonboon said in Russell Packer - What Now:

So what happens now with Russell Packer

I know people have been critical and he obviously isn’t to Madge’s liking but he is signed on for 2 more years on big money

He also has the best winning record - 14/25 of any Tigers players with the Tigers - so we have the best record we have with him in the team

The 3 games we have lost this year when he has played
    Lost by 1 conversion to Penrith but our forwards dominated Panthers
    v Eels - 1st game at Bankwest and we lost our hooker 9 mins in
    v Dogs - We got ambushed but also Benji missed the last 20 minutes

Last Year he played 19 of 24 - with him we won 11 lost 8 without him we won 1 lost 4
    Lost

• Penalty goal v Broncos
    • Lost to Penrith with ET at Hooker
    • Lost by 2 to the Roosters
    • Lost v Sharks - No Matulino, No Benji and ET at hooker
    • Lost Canberra - Matt McIlwrick at hooker, Gamble at 5/8
    • Lost Gold Coast- No Matulino, No benji
    • Lost Dogs full strength
    • Lost Dragons full strength

When Benji plays a full game with Packer and Matulino have played together we have only lost 4 games by more then 2 points in the last 2 years

I think that Madge needs to work it out with Packer as its not like we cant win games when he plays. Madge needs to adjust his style to suit the players he has especially given Packer has the best record of any current player as far as wins and losses go

A+ for effort on all those pointless stats… But boil it down he’s a lazy slug. Garbage

• What has happened to all the people who said he was a big improvement on Woods they seem to be very quiet these days.I was disgusted with the way Woods treated our club and our supporters but i never doubted his passion and efforts for the club on the field.Packer could not give a rats about us and seems very self centered,at this stage unless he changes his attitude 180 degrees i would rather he never plays another game for us even if we have to pay out his contract.

• @TYGA said in Russell Packer - What Now:

The reality is Twal, Mikalele, Aloai, Matulino and even Eiso are our performing him this year.
    Madge has no choice in this situation.

He was overpaid and hence Madge has told him to look elsewhere as he is not living up to his contract along with others.

We want accountability at this club sometimes a strong stance sets a tone. I think we have to get big minutes out of Aloai and Mikalele in the middle so the others can play a smaller role.

Urgh you know its bad when someone like Eiso is “outperforming” him.

Eiso is the biggest waste of space footballer on our team. sure he seems like a nice guy, but he has ZERO impact for a big body. there is no mongrel in him at all. hate it when i see his name on the team sheet. sorry, rant over.

I would love to have Madge come out and just say whats what - is Packer injured? is he out of form? is he not willing to play for this club? i wish he would just be transparent with us.

• I have the feeling the relationship between Madge and Packer may be a little irrepairable.

• Packers done a degree. Sit around for the next 2.5 years on $675k pa and then get a cushy job in the confines of four white walls where you never have to take another tackle…

• @jadtiger said in Russell Packer - What Now:

What has happened to all the people who said he was a big improvement on Woods they seem to be very quiet these days.I was disgusted with the way Woods treated our club and our supporters but i never doubted his passion and efforts for the club on the field.Packer could not give a rats about us and seems very self centered,at this stage unless he changes his attitude 180 degrees i would rather he never plays another game for us even if we have to pay out his contract.

I think he was an improvement on Woods because Woods was after so much money and dollar for dollar value Packer was better than Woods. The dogs had to get Woods off the books as quickly as possible because they realised Woods was a terrible signing. Packer has also been a terrible signing for the dollars.

I don’t know what to do with Packer. Twal and Eisenhuth are better workers in the middle and Aloaia and Mikaele are the best in our team by far when it comes to getting us going forward.

Matulino is a better go forward player than Packer although he isn’t as good as all the young middle forwards above.

The problem is we are paying a premium for our middle forwards but the two guys taking up most of the cap are nowhere near our top performers.

• Packerlino - has been a disaster. Id take Woods for the two of them - probably plays the same minutes as both combined, and makes more metres.

Recent Topics