WT situation is expected

• Have to say that despite the expected angst, mine included, WT are in the place we expected them to be with any new coach.

• A player roster that does not suit his style and demands of players

• Many of these unsuited players on extended contracts, where value and length of contract reflected previous coach wants.

Maguire and WT management have to make the best of it and still try to remain competitive on the field whilst behind the scenes they try to move on the players in question to create space and funds to make offers for players suiting the style of Maguire. The only relief we will get over this season and probably 2020 season is if we can move on the players out of favour. WT just dont have any spare cap cash with the NRL fine for the Farah- Pascoe non event.

We have to go hardball to move on the unwanted players. How is that done though? Other clubs seem to do it. Obviously other clubs have to want them, but how do we get the players and their managers be receptive to any offers that may come their way?

I’m sort of thinking Reynolds and McQueen would be good fits for ESL with McQueen having the additional benefit of being English descent so he doesnt take up a import spot.

Taylor would probably look to go to NZ- wasnt he close to going there before re-signing with WT? Family ties etc.

Packer- I just dont know if he is injured or having a big sook.

Matulino I’d probably keep as a prop option, he is at least contributing and I dont think on big money like the others.

Farah & Marshall- this is their last season and it should be signalled that way too by WT management. WT have to move on to fresh players.

Looking forward- we need urgent decisions on:

• hooker role- is Liddle to get the nod as Farah’s successor or do we need to recruit another first string hooker? This is Liddle’'s last contracted season, WT have to make an quick decision to fend either fend off offers for him from other clubs or get in quick to get another good hooker.

• 5/8 & half- if WT are moving on Reynolds and this is Marshall’s last year- what is the plan for the 6 position? Is Gamble promoted? Should we look to a player that is more a utility half able to play 6 or 7 and give a possibility to switching roles during a game with Brooks?

• wingers- both Funoa and Thompson ave contracts ending this season- we have an opportunity to recruit at least 1 big, fast winger if we can identify one, or do we re-sign both or one of them only?

• I reckon we should move Liddle on. He hasn’t shown enough for me to warrant a contract extension and when you consider his injury prone he’s just not worth the risk.

• The Liddle situation is odd he should be starting to see if he can play the full 80mins and worth a contract ,but it seems Farah has to get to 300 regardless silly ! If he has not been signed by 30 June Madge obviously has no plans for him again a bit odd.
    Gamble can please himself I had hopes but watching him lately does not offer anything that deserves a contract the stocks are that low in the club you can not carry him ,better bringing in a younger more talented player .
    I am very frustrated with the whole situation the coach is all over the place … the more the situation is unfolding I think Pascoe should move on !as his actions are all over this and that is not getting into the Farahgate situation .
    As far as signing anybody of note from the board to the CEO they have guaranteed the next 2 seasons at least will be slim pickings shameful behaviour well done !

• @Snake said in WT situation is expected:

The Liddle situation is odd he should be starting to see if he can play the full 80mins and worth a contract ,but it seems Farah has to get to 300 regardless silly ! If he has not been signed by 30 June Madge obviously has no plans for him again a bit odd.
    Gamble can please himself I had hopes but watching him lately does not offer anything that deserves a contract the stocks are that low in the club you can not carry him ,better bringing in a younger more talented player .
    I am very frustrated with the whole situation the coach is all over the place … the more the situation is unfolding I think Pascoe should move on !as his actions are all over this and that is not getting into the Farahgate situation .
    As far as signing anybody of note from the board to the CEO they have guaranteed the next 2 seasons at least will be slim pickings shameful behaviour well done !

Pretty sure Jock Madden will jump Gamble in 2020. Gamble has no future here. He’s 23-24 and only played one game. Nathan Waters 2.0

• @upthetigers Hello maybe if the kid was given a go we might see !! and not giving that has been Farah a free pass … but then again this decision alone typifies why this club is imploding!

• @Snake Hopefully he plays more minutes in the coming weeks. If Madge doesn’t utilise him more then he obviously doesn’t rate him and we have to assume we’ll need to sign another hooker.

• @upthetigers Let’s hope so as I would like to see what he has to offer and not just let go before that! No problem with him being moved on if not up to it but give him a go !

• It’s a funny old situation.

Does anyone legitimately think we have a clear finals-capable roster 2019? Surely not. We are hoping for some luck and a swing in form across the group to get us there.

Has recruitment turned out well? Arguably no, though I maintain that a significant signing spree of an outgoing coach is difficult to measure under new management. Cleary, like it or not, got the same roster to 50% wins and 9th, so it is a roster that is proven to be on the cusp of finals.

So who is to blame for our current situation? Coach, recruitment, CEO, Chair. Funny that because they are almost completely replaced in the last 9 months, so you are hanging blame on people who mostly don’t work for WT anymore.

Who is going to fix the issues? The new people you hired. Will they do it rapidly ? Probably not, did you really think Madge was going to work miracles?

People must surely realise that Madge is dropping blokes that he doesn’t rate, and the fans are turning on those dropped players rather severely, and that’s fine, except the replacemrnts are NOT WINNING KEY FOOTBALL MATCHES.

So yes we got outdone by the Raiders but Madge isn’t using all his available troops. you might argue that the dropped players are worse than the ones he chose, but also you might argue that at 28-blot you could scarcely do any worse.

I’m not looking forward to another season lacking success but I’m an old Balmain supporter - we’ve not had regular success for 30 years. So my expectations and reactions to any given season are moderated disappointment.

Yes we suck and yes we seem unable to lift ourselves out of that for any notable period, but we are Tigers supporters - exactly what do you expect?

• @2005magic said in WT situation is expected:

I’m sort of thinking Reynolds and McQueen would be good fits for ESL with McQueen having the additional benefit of being English descent so he doesnt take up a import spot.

Taylor would probably look to go to NZ- wasnt he close to going there before re-signing with WT? Family ties etc.

Matulino I’d probably keep as a prop option, he is at least contributing and I dont think on big money like the others.

All of these players have the same issue. Reynolds, ET, Packer.

Reynolds and McQueen may be great fits for ESL but would an ESL club be willing to match our offers? Would any ESL club pay Reynolds pay close to $700k? There salary cap is only 3 million or something. Why would Reynolds move countries to take a country half the value of what he can get here?

Why would ET or Packer move clubs and take a 300-400k pay hit? No club in their right mind will offer those more than 300k and we are paying them 600k-700k.

Unless these guys are the worlds best blokes and acknowledge they are heavily overpaid and take a paycut to go elsewhere, then we are doomed.

• @WeHaveCheeKam said in WT situation is expected:

@2005magic said in WT situation is expected:

All of these players have the same issue. Reynolds, ET, Packer.

Reynolds and McQueen may be great fits for ESL but would an ESL club be willing to match our offers? Would any ESL club pay Reynolds pay close to $700k? There salary cap is only 3 million or something. Why would Reynolds move countries to take a country half the value of what he can get here?

Why would ET or Packer move clubs and take a 300-400k pay hit? No club in their right mind will offer those more than 300k and we are paying them 600k-700k.

Unless these guys are the worlds best blokes and acknowledge they are heavily overpaid and take a paycut to go elsewhere, then we are doomed.

We have to try though…

• @WeHaveCheeKam said in WT situation is expected:

Only if it suited their long-term career. Seeing out their contract here at top dollar might be the end of their careers.

• I’m also coming around to the thinking of offering Maguire a further 2 year extension to coaching contract. That will give some further stability on coaching front and allow time for the roster to develop his way if we cant shift the under-performers, and then a couple of true seasons where it is his roster and judge his record then.

• @2005magic oh hell no. They’re playing worse under him that Ivan. He needs to earn an extension. Hasn’t earned anything yet.

• @2005magic
    I agree with offering the coach an extension, get some stability in the place and put the wallet away until the cap position is better, promote the juniors, can’t do any worse than lose games u til we have money to spend and we are already doing that.
    My 2cents worth on another subject, we started the slide into oblivion on the day that the two directors back stabbed Marina Go.

• @jirskyr said in WT situation is expected:

So who is to blame for our current situation? Coach, recruitment, CEO, Chair. Funny that because they are almost completely replaced in the last 9 months, so you are hanging blame on people who mostly don’t work for WT anymore.

The bloke in charge is still here. We’ll see how he performs this time hey?

Recent Topics