Rumour: Tigers sign Tim Mannah for rest of 2019

• What a rock show.

• This Tim Mannah situation is, in my opinion, one of the more serious problems facing our game. A one club player, previous club captain, pillar of the eels community can be let go ‘mid-week’ without so much as a handshake let alone a gold watch. It’s wrong. In fact there’s a lot wrong with it …
    Firstly, players and clubs are not rewarded for loyalty. Therefore, fans are not rewarded for their loyalty to long-standing players. There needs to be strong dispensation for one club, or at least long standing, players. Something that encourages a players love of the jersey, the club, the community.
    Secondly, rugby league is tribal. I loved the Balmain era of roach, Elias, Pearce, sirinen etc - they were tigers through and through. They were offered better money elsewhere but they stayed loyal to Tigers. Fans stayed loyal to them. It meant something - there was a bond. Today, your hero can be your mortal enemy in the space of 7 days. Ridiculous in my opinion.
    Thirdly, there is no importance placed on contracts by either party. This is a really poor example of modern life. Now, not only does your word mean nothing, but your legal responsibility means nothing also. This too is sad and is a poor reflection on modern society.
    Lastly, the amount of wasted, splurged and thrown away money is criminal. Clubs are lucky to break even on an annual basis. The NRL and clubs are fighting for limited revenue streams yet it is apparently ok to piss millions away in poor decision making.
    I love footy but the game i grew up loving is fast evolving into a corporate disaster. Tim Mannah is an Eel. Always has been and should be till his last day. He’ll be a Tiger by tomorrow I’m sure and I’ll wish him well and I’ll barrack for him but my heart won’t be quite in it. I wonder if his will?

• How many games do you have to play in the NRL this year to be able to go to England?

• @Tiger_Steve said in Rumour: Tigers sign Tim Mannah for rest of 2019:

Firstly, players and clubs are not rewarded for loyalty. Therefore, fans are not rewarded for their loyalty to long-standing players. There needs to be strong dispensation for one club, or at least long standing, players. Something that encourages a players love of the jersey, the club, the community.

I agree. For a long time I have felt that NRL should offer ever-increasing incentives to keep long-term players, e.g. something that increases year on year. They have long-serving allowance but it’s very small in context of the whole cap.

The positive would be that the more years the player spends, the less cap they take and the hard it becomes for opposition to prise them off you. I agree that a Tim Mannah should never be pushed out of a club.

The negative might be that poor clubs can’t afford to keep some players even if there’s limited salary cap impact, because the salary outside of the cap might still be a burden financially. Also, it doesn’t help clubs that might need to clear a space in their Top 30. Ultimately extra concessions would advantage rich clubs in terms of being less likely to shed experienced players and not fazed by the cost.

• @Tiger_Steve said in Rumour: Tigers sign Tim Mannah for rest of 2019:

This Tim Mannah situation is, in my opinion, one of the more serious problems facing our game. A one club player, previous club captain, pillar of the eels community can be let go ‘mid-week’ without so much as a handshake let alone a gold watch. It’s wrong. In fact there’s a lot wrong with it …
    Secondly, rugby league is tribal. I loved the Balmain era of roach, Elias, Pearce, sirinen etc - they were tigers through and through. They were offered better money elsewhere but they stayed loyal to Tigers. Fans stayed loyal to them. It meant something - there was a bond. Today, your hero can be your mortal enemy in the space of 7 days. Ridiculous in my opinion.
    Thirdly, there is no importance placed on contracts by either party. This is a really poor example of modern life. Now, not only does your word mean nothing, but your legal responsibility means nothing also. This too is sad and is a poor reflection on modern society.
    Lastly, the amount of wasted, splurged and thrown away money is criminal. Clubs are lucky to break even on an annual basis. The NRL and clubs are fighting for limited revenue streams yet it is apparently ok to piss millions away in poor decision making.
    I love footy but the game i grew up loving is fast evolving into a corporate disaster. Tim Mannah is an Eel. Always has been and should be till his last day. He’ll be a Tiger by tomorrow I’m sure and I’ll wish him well and I’ll barrack for him but my heart won’t be quite in it. I wonder if his will?

I find myself agreeing with all you say in this post TS. Good post👍

• @jirskyr said in Rumour: Tigers sign Tim Mannah for rest of 2019:

@Tiger_Steve said in Rumour: Tigers sign Tim Mannah for rest of 2019:

I agree. For a long time I have felt that NRL should offer ever-increasing incentives to keep long-term players, e.g. something that increases year on year. They have long-serving allowance but it’s very small in context of the whole cap.

The positive would be that the more years the player spends, the less cap they take and the hard it becomes for opposition to prise them off you. I agree that a Tim Mannah should never be pushed out of a club.

The negative might be that poor clubs can’t afford to keep some players even if there’s limited salary cap impact, because the salary outside of the cap might still be a burden financially. Also, it doesn’t help clubs that might need to clear a space in their Top 30. Ultimately extra concessions would advantage rich clubs in terms of being less likely to shed experienced players and not fazed by the cost.

Just on the long serving player allowance, how many players would Parra have that qualify? Surely Mannah would be the only one that qualifies? He’d be handy to have next year if you have only him to spend that cap allowance on? Same with us and Rowdy moving forward. He’s the only one that qualifies and better than having a fringe first grader in the top 30.

• @airbus Don’t edit my comments @Spartan117 It’s about money. The Eels won’t pay the difference between his current salary and the max the Tigers have left in the cap. Unless their position changes and they pay some freight, the deal is not happening.

• @gallagher Anyone know when this became a thing btw? Link to any info about it?

Find it such a strange rule.

• So has he signed or not?

This looks like a white flag move to me, and if that’s the case surely we have some juniors coming through that can get some experience??

• Surely this is a Gee up now… this has been going on all week and yet nothing still… Its like the players / player managers just use us to lift price up or assist in them getting there desired outcome. If this ones falls over on a player that cannot even get back into 1st grade we are going to look stupid.

• @hsvjones I think Tim is managing himself so this could become messy between him and the Eels.

• @helmesy

Maybe Tim has to take a hit to his hip pocket and forgo some or all of the difference in the contract money given that his prime motive is to play more NRL games to secure a deal in the English Super League. From memory didn’t Woods take a reduced contract payment when he signed with the Sharks as the Bulldogs & Sharks couldn’t come to an agreed contract payout figure.

• This post is deleted!

• @TopTiger that is factual.

• Why is it that all of a sudden it’s said that players need to have played X amount of games to qualify for Super League? Where has this come from? Has the place been inundated with bog average footballers that couldn’t make the nrl here?

Recent Topics