AFL crackdown on fan abuse

Major c**k up by the AFL.

11 HOURS AGO

Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett has suggested the security staff patrolling AFL crowds are ill-equipped because they appear to be “new arrivals”.

In defending fan behaviour and decrying heavy-handed tactics, Mr Kennett has courted controversy by highlighting the ethnic background of the security staff.

“I’m not being racist when I say this, but when I saw some of the footage, the people who are making judgments while they wear these authoritative coats, are not people who appear to have a great knowledge of our game,” he told Neil Mitchell.

“And yet they make judgments about what’s correct and not correct.

Neil Mitchell: What, you mean they appear to be of ethnic background?

Mr Kennett: Well, they’re new arrivals to Australia, it appears.

Neil Mitchell: We don’t know that.

Mr Kennett: We don’t know that and they could be born here.

“All I’m saying,” Mr Kennett continued, “is the sporting arena is where people relax, where they support their tribe, and what is happening now is unacceptable”.

@Matto said in AFL crackdown on fan abuse:

@hobbo1 I dare you to call Todd that…banned for life lol

maybe the bald headed flogs are sick of being victimised…

but allan langer also springs to mind…

@TheDaBoss said in AFL crackdown on fan abuse:

@Harvey said in AFL crackdown on fan abuse:

This was funny, the security guard who decided to intervene in a scuffle between players
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-vision-emerges-of-security-guard-stepping-onto-blundstone-arena-about-to-break-up-onfield-tussle/news-story/0497f44b6c3c1e121d6868072a47d4a0

Should be promoted, doing stuff above his job requirements 😁😅

He’ll get ostracized by his colleagues for setting the bar too high…Like Sergeant Nicholas Angel from Hot Fuzz…

64931129_10158572576858135_7154792684748537856_n.jpg

Apparently this is the security firm - Behavioural Awareness Officers 😂 😂 😂 😂

Just saw a story on North Melbourne’s majak daw returning from injury… Journo outside the clubhouse, there’s a sign on the wall outside saying “Home of Shinboner spirit”???

What the?

@innsaneink said in AFL crackdown on fan abuse:

Just saw a story on North Melbourne’s majak daw returning from injury… Journo outside the clubhouse, there’s a sign on the wall outside saying “Home of Shinboner spirit”???

What the?

Shinboners are a nickname North Melbourne have had forever.

The team’s nickname, “the shinboners”, dates to the days when many of the players worked at the local abattoirs and spent their days separating meat from shinbones. Hannan says local butchers used to decorate their windows with the bones, a trend that has (thankfully) faded with time.

There is an alternate explanation for the origin of “the shinboners”. Former club president Phonse Tobin changed the nickname to “The Kangaroos” in the mid-1950’s. He disliked the term “shinboners”, as he wanted “a mascot we could show… I always hated the name. It projected an unfavourable image… I always thought too, that the club should have a mascot we could show. You can’t very well hold up a shinbone. In selecting a new name, I wanted something characteristically Australian. I found the answer one day when I saw a giant kangaroo on display outside a city store.”
Father G. Dowling, North’s historian, says the origin of the “shinboners” may have been due to the Irish population playing hurley at the football ground, using their hurley sticks with little regard for their opponent’s shins.​

• information from Football Life, August

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.