Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire and prop Russell Packer are no longer speaking to each other,

• The full details of Wests Tigers salary cap “mess” has been exposed by coach Michael Maguire’s falling out with one axed star.

Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire and prop Russell Packer are no longer speaking to each other, according to a report.

Packer has been at the top of the Tigers’ list of players the club wants to unload — and it’s now clear why.The Daily Telegraph’s Dean Ritchie revealed on Wednesday morning Packer and Maguire have fallen out and there is almost no chance the former Kiwi international will earn an NRL re-call with the Tigers.

Packer hasn’t played in the NRL since round six — and he reportedly is not phased about the prospect of being exiled in reserve grade for an extended period of time.

The Tigers have also had no luck in attracting offers for Packer’s fellow-out of favour stars, including Chris McQueen, Elijah Taylor and Josh Reynolds.

“It’s a mess at the moment, their roster and their salary cap,” Ritchie told Sky Sports Radio. “Packer and Maguire have fallen out. They virtually, as I understand it, don’t talk. They’re both very strong-willed personalities. And as we know with Madge, when you’re off with Madge, you’re off with Madge and there’s not a whole lot you can do about it.” Packer is reportedly earning more than $650,000 for the 2019 season and is on a long term deal through to the end of 2021.

The Tigers will reportedly announce the signing of former Parramatta captain Tim Mannah until the end of the 2019 season this week.

The club is also reportedly set to say goodbye to cult hero Mahe Fonua, who has reportedly been told he will not be offered a contract for the 2020 season.

• Really so

How many people do we all work with that outside of work you’d probably get involved in a head butting contest if you could

Get over it …get on with it …rest of the planet manages to do it every day

• 650K?? I didn’t realise it was that much - must have forgot/blocked it out. Ivan, what have you done…

• Packer is eastwood v2

holy moly

packerlino is rolling in the dough

• @TheDaBoss I wouldn’t talk to Packer either

• @happy_tiger I agree but so often it seems in the NRL world pettiness and childishness win out over common sense

• He needs to go. One way or another lol

• @happy_tiger I’d be interested to know what options the coach has at his disposal to deal with a recalcitrant player if he can demonstrate that player is not performing to the standard required and there is no injury.

• The more this is in the media the harder it will be to find a suiter… No club would be interested unless we paid most of his salary and we cannot afford to do that… I feel this is just going to get worse and just an excuse for why we don’t make the finals again this year.

• @Newtown

Thanks Ivan!!!

• The fact he is happy to earn his cash in reserve grade is sickening.
    No self pride.

• @hsvjones said in Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire and prop Russell Packer are no longer speaking to each other,:

The more this is in the media the harder it will be to find a suiter… No club would be interested unless we paid most of his salary and we cannot afford to do that… I feel this is just going to get worse and just an excuse for why we don’t make the finals again this year.

Yes there’s always some lame reason/excuse for our club not to make the finals…Unbelievable

• @NT_Tiger said in Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire and prop Russell Packer are no longer speaking to each other,:

@happy_tiger I’d be interested to know what options the coach has at his disposal to deal with a recalcitrant player if he can demonstrate that player is not performing to the standard required and there is no injury.

None - Greg Eastwood the perfect example.

• This is a classic case of why the NRL has to change the legalities of player contracts. Clubs either can’t sign players for more than 2 years at a time or there needs to be a performance based element to all NRL contracts longer than 2 years. Packer isn’t performing and his stats are proof and he shouldnt hold our club to ransom. A certain type of player at a certain time of their career shouldn’t be able to play reserve grade on 500k plus a year (It’s ridiculous). Easier said then done i know and its our managements fault paying so much for such a dud player.

Spoiler Text

Recent Topics