Any business owners on here??

• @Cultured_Bogan said in Any business owners on here??:

@weststigers said in Any business owners on here??:

@Cultured_Bogan said in Any business owners on here??:

Are there any industry expos or the like you can network at @weststigers?

Plenty of networking events around mate, but was more seeing if any Tigers fans wanted to get together.

Ah fair enough mate.

What size businesses do you work with? Nothing too big or small?

Nothing huge mate. I guess anything that fits the SME definition. Size goes from sole trader and up. I think my biggest customer has 100 staff as an indication.

Majority of my customers are tradies and transport companies etc., but you can get anything from vending machine companies to security companies to film production. It’s a bit of a mixed bag, but I like learning about other types of businesses, so there’s always a bit of variety.

I do the odd mortgage for clients that want to keep everything with one person, but I don’t advertise it.

What about you mate? What sort of work do you do?

Fridgie by trade, been in the industry for 16 years but have been in the office for the last 10 years as an engineer and project manager. Always worked for larger businesses including one of the two major supermarkets. Wouldn’t mind going into consulting in my later years once I’ve achieved and learned everything I can from working in larger businesses, a long while off though.

My wife is looking at possibly starting a business in the next few years. She’d be working from home and I’m not sure if or what sort of start up funding she’ll require (she is almost finished her qualification, but wants to work for a large business to gather experience before going it alone.) Pipe dream at the moment but it is something she is working toward.

That’s awesome mate! The best advice I ever received was to not worry about anything until you’ve figured out how you’re going to get customers. By the time you try and crack it in business, you’ve probably got the experience needed, but what the big guys don’t teach you is how to get the phone to ring without a big advertising budget! It’s even more difficult when you’re a nobody and you’ve got no track record in business.

If you can crack that, the rest comes easier!

Love to see people having a crack, so genuinely, I wish you the best if and when you both get started!

Thanks mate, the other thing I was told was if you can’t hack putting in the hours for the first 3-5 years, don’t bother lol.

That’s so true mate…add to that no sick days or annual leave!

Recent Topics