Coming to terms with our Position

• Hi Team

Tough to be a tigers faithful atm. I wanted to break down everything that has been happening and get people opinions on our situation and path going forward. Please feel free to add anything constructive.

Salary Cap
    Appears to be in a rough place with a lot of contracts being reportedly more expensive then we initially heard.
    Packer 650
    Mats 700
    Reynolds 750 -900 (backended maybe?)
    Brooks 550
    Rowdy 300
    Mbye 500k??

These are picked up from various places, how true im not sure. The concerning it bit including the fine is that we appear to have zero cap space left. With most of our highly paid players on the books for a few years it doesn’t appear to be getting any smoother soon.

As a result we really only have a couple of opitions that i see. Firstly we recruit fringe players on small contracts for minimal time. This is similar to the Tim Mannah deal. Short contracts to cover holes while the cap is resurrected.

Sign young kids in the hope a few pan out. Similar to the young hooker we have just signed from Queensland. I like this tactic even though it will take time to reach fruition.

Promote juniors into cc faster in a sink or swim mentality.

In summary our caps in a bad place and i expect Madge will be brutal and a lot of negative headlines will probably surface this year in a bid for him to get rid of some of the expensive contracts. Cleary really did do a number on us.

Playing Group

If im being honest our playing group is the weakest in the competition imo. As many people have stated we lack size, speed and mongrel.
    We tend to hang on to fringe first graders way to long and become enamored with players that have genuine deficiencies. The list is based on first grade players this year not up and comers.

Keepers/ Solid First graders/ Build arounders.
    Matto - Best player at the club period.
    Twal - First full year at prop Looks like he has a large motor and tackles everything.
    Jennings - Controversial but is big, pretty quick, and will do well with a decent backline.
    Marsters - Having a down year but is still super talented and a game changer when on.
    Mikaele

Potentials/ Good but not greats
    Thompson - all heart, limited mistakes, just struggles with punch out of the back field and size.
    Garner - Young made huge strides this year needs to improve defensively
    Brooks - Amazing runner of the ball, improved defender , brilliant on his day, but just very inconsistent for mine and needs an organising half next to him.
    Liddle - I still feel like he is worth a shot, has looked good in flashes this year, huge talent just needs a year or two without injuries.
    Garlic sauce - i think he would be awesome with a solid forward pack around him

Take them or leave them
    Mats - Is ok but hasnt really impressed. Not a huge meter eater and appears to regress on impatful hits in defense.
    Reynolds- i love the bloke but unfortunately we are paying top dollar for a cheerleader. IF fit i would move him up a notch but at the moment he kind would do more for us not on the roster.
    Mbye - For me another guy that can be awesome and you can see why the hype is there, but like brooks he is just so inconsistent.
    Momo - Kid seems to have talent but is yet to really show it.
    Nofo - love him is an amazing tiger but has serious deficiencies in his game. Another small winger which we have plenty of.
    Clark - again not seeing enough to judge but if you cant make the squad with our current forwards are you going to make it going forward.
    Rowdy - Tiger through thick and thin and like mannah and the eels are painful loss. Is he still good enough we will see i guess.
    Chee kam - Utility i guess

Would move on
    Packer - Obvious issues here so need him gone.
    Robbie and benji - retiring i would hope)
    Huth - just doesnt have enough impact for me nice dude solid plodder but we need to do better to compete.
    Taylor - great tackler horrible runner.
    Mcqueen - solid but we need more impact moving forward.
    Rochow - solid cc player just doesnt translate to nrl imo

Anyone else i havent mention can be moved on.

Coaching
    I feel like i want to give madge a few years to get the team he wants. The team he has is pretty ordinary imo. In saying that id like him to go and get the assistant coaches he values.

Venues
    I feel like we need to getaway from multiple grounds. In the long run the fans will stick with the tigers, i mean we have until now and i dont think which ground we play at matters as much as we like to think. I could deal with 2 but 4 sometimes 5 is no good for us as a team ( maybe financially)

Anyway like every year i think we are a few years away from anything (Thanks Ivan) but im willing to ride it out with madge. I think its going to get worse in most ways before it gets better.

• I cant come to terms with how we basically had a fresh cap in 2017 was it? and botched it, someone needs to wear the brunt of letting Cleary run the show seemingly without question.

• @The_Doc said in Coming to terms with our Position:

I cant come to terms with how we basically had a fresh cap in 2017 was it? and botched it, someone needs to wear the brunt of letting Cleary run the show seemingly without question.

I think that person has paid for it. Kelly Egan is leaving, I’d wager he had a big part in it.

• This post is deleted!

• It appears to be a woeful position we are in. Assuming we can’t get rid of any big salary players early, it would appear we will be very active in the player market from November next year (2020) recruiting for the 2022 season. There will be a war chest of more than $3m at this time to pursue the team Madge wants. Now if he haphazardly pays overs like little Ivan has previously done, we can potentially look forward to this mess again. I believe Madge is much more astute with the cap. In Ivan’s defence, the Tigers were desperate when his recruiting commenced having lost 3 of the big 4.

If we can jag an offload of 1 or 2 players (Packer, Mats, Reynolds) prior to this time, I think we can slowly improve our squad in 2020 and 2021. Being optimistic, I hope some of the younger guys on smaller existing contracts such as Bradley, Talau, Cini and Madden can hopefully step up over this period - maybe a blessing in disguise.

• @Cultured_Bogan i forgot about that muppet

• On OP, agree largely with the sentiments.

I believe one home ground is the way forward. If the club isn’t prepared to do it at first, go back to 6 & 6. If we can’t fill out our two suburban spiritual homes, then the club has the evidence to move to WSS or ANZ permanently.

Honestly believe we should campaign alongside the Macarthur football team to get CSS upgraded to a 35,000 seat stadium. If that ever got over the line then we would surely move there full time.

• I know in the end the CEO Pascoe signed off on the contracts but what do you do when told by coach and football manager and head of recruitment ‘this is right for dollars and we need them’???

Do we need someone independent from the club for the CEO to consult with when these contracts are coming up for information on typical contract value and length to provide some form of ‘‘counterweight’’ that the CEO can use to test the coach and football manager’s recommendation against if they are uneasy?

• We had a fresh beginning once we signed all these new players (packer reynolds matulino) and it was the new dawn…
    Now we are worse off than when we were paying sheens and blair to play against us…
    Now we get mannah as our forwards savior for maybe 10 games???

Things would want to improve, or at least our team needs to show heart!!! last friday was the worst

• @2005magic said in Coming to terms with our Position:

I know in the end the CEO Pascoe signed off on the contracts but what do you do when told by coach and football manager and head of recruitment ‘this is right for dollars and we need them’???

Do we need someone independent from the club for the CEO to consult with when these contracts are coming up for information on typical contract value and length to provide some form of ‘‘counterweight’’ that the CEO can use to test the coach and football manager’s recommendation against if they are uneasy?

At the end of the day the CEO does have to shoulder some blame. He hires and fires those in the footy departments so ultimately he has to wear the mistakes of his subordinates. However, at the same time if he acts on the mistakes of his subordinates then he is also doing his job. Neither the coach or football manager are here anymore, unfortunately their shenanigans are a legacy. It is up to Madge and Pascoe to work on this moving forward and mitigate the damage.

• The salary cap is a shambles. I think it’s causing the most pain of all, and it’s something that really shouldn’t have happened - which makes it even worse. Somehow we turned a huge positive (very healthy salary cap) into a negative that will plague us for a couple of years at least. It was wasted on players who on face value weren’t game breakers, and in hindsight weren’t even first grade material. Packer, Reynolds and co. - these salaries are marquee level, and it’s painful knowing that other clubs are more than getting there money’s worth from players on similar salaries and less.

It’s hard to be positive after that. Ivan took one of the best opportunities in this club’s history and completely blew it. The talent was not available on the market at the time, almost everyone knew deep down these were poor value signings, and I think we are exactly where we all thought, deep down, we’d be because of that. Ivan bailing on the club took away any hope however, and sealed the situation.

Just going to have to chip away with a couple of astute signings here and there and ride this mess out.

• @Cultured_Bogan I’d love to know the rationale they presented to Pascoe for such long term and high value contracts? Obviously build a team around them but, they were long in the tooth and carried some injury concerns (Matulino & Reynolds). Could a CEO really say no to the contract?

• @The_Doc That person will show his face again in a couple of weeks !

• ForumSupporter

I would not believe every salary figure reported…not just our Club…every Club…

I’m tipping Reynolds will hit 1Million by the end of the year including the washing machine…

• Banned

You know how QLD aren’t allowed to say NSW or Blues, well, it seems as if Tigers players aren’t allowed to say finals

Recent Topics