Coming to terms with our Position

• The team is no good at all. I don’t think it’s a salary cap thing though. Look at all the other teams, there is no way they aren’t paying more players more money. It’s a pathetic joke that we are supposed to even give it credence. If the NRL audits us just say it’s a TPA, or point to the Roosters, or buy off Greenberg, and then tell the others to politely stick it - like Cronulla do.

Besides that, funny that we say the team is not up to standard, but we aren’t allowed to say that we think any individual players aren’t up to standard. Our own fans need to wise up to the fact that just because you wear our colours doesn’t mean you should continue to. Fact is we only have a small few players who are actually up to par.
    Lawrence is a prime example. He is always good for two dropped balls a game. He is slow and offers nothing in attack or defence, yet for some weird reason our own fans view his return as the second coming. In fact, if you knock him on here your own support comes into question. Seems some fans forget that the point is to win.
    We need to get hard if we want to get winning.
    I also agree strongly about the venue thing. We need a proper home ground. Max 2.

• JT did all the hard work removing the problems. Ivan came in and stuffed it up.

• @bigsiro said in Coming to terms with our Position:

The team is no good at all. I don’t think it’s a salary cap thing though. Look at all the other teams, there is no way they aren’t paying more players more money. It’s a pathetic joke that we are supposed to even give it credence. If the NRL audits us just say it’s a TPA, or point to the Roosters, or buy off Greenberg, and then tell the others to politely stick it - like Cronulla do.

Besides that, funny that we say the team is not up to standard, but we aren’t allowed to say that we think any individual players aren’t up to standard. Our own fans need to wise up to the fact that just because you wear our colours doesn’t mean you should continue to. Fact is we only have a small few players who are actually up to par.
    Lawrence is a prime example. He is always good for two dropped balls a game. He is slow and offers nothing in attack or defence, yet for some weird reason our own fans view his return as the second coming. In fact, if you knock him on here your own support comes into question. Seems some fans forget that the point is to win.
    I also agree strongly about the venue thing. We need a proper home ground. Max 2.

I thought you were about to say Lawrence a prime example of being up to par, but yes I totally agree. Great club man, but as you said, having a couple of critical fumbles/drops per game isn’t really acceptable at this level. And they are critical errors. It’s great that he can run good lines and potentially break the opposition line, but that goes to waste if you don’t take the ball with you.

• In the position that it is currently in the future of this club rests with the young players it has currently playing Flegg and Canterbury Cup. Our Flegg in particular has a host of very promising players and before anyone starts saying that they are too young to bring into first grade just remember that Tim Brasher made his first grade debut for Balmain the age of only 17 years.

• The previous coach, staff and CEO played high stakes poker with our salary cap in trying to buy a winning team.

We’re now stuck with a dud hand.

We’ve never been and will probably never be a club that can buy a premiership.

The sooner our management gets real and starts transforming us ito a development club, the better.

• @Papacito said in Coming to terms with our Position:

The previous coach, staff and CEO played high stakes poker with our salary cap in trying to buy a winning team.

The sooner our management gets real and starts transforming us ito a development club, the better.

The ceo has some explaining to do when he’s officially back at work

• @Papacito development club for whom?

• @2005magic said in Coming to terms with our Position:

@Papacito development club for whom?

If we mostly develop our own talent, instead of signing the Chris McQueens of the world, we will end up with a half decent side without blowing the bank.

Penrith are a good example of this model.

Of course you end up losing a few to the Rorters, but unfortunately that’s how footy works when you’re not a rich club.

• @Papacito Okedoke, whilst happy to be a development club promoting from within except for a few imported stars, I’d only support it once NRL introduces some reward for such e.g. transfer fees for locally produced players going elsewhere.

• @Sco77y said in Coming to terms with our Position:

@bigsiro said in Coming to terms with our Position:

The team is no good at all. I don’t think it’s a salary cap thing though. Look at all the other teams, there is no way they aren’t paying more players more money. It’s a pathetic joke that we are supposed to even give it credence. If the NRL audits us just say it’s a TPA, or point to the Roosters, or buy off Greenberg, and then tell the others to politely stick it - like Cronulla do.

I thought you were about to say Lawrence a prime example of being up to par, but yes I totally agree. Great club man, but as you said, having a couple of critical fumbles/drops per game isn’t really acceptable at this level. And they are critical errors. It’s great that he can run good lines and potentially break the opposition line, but that goes to waste if you don’t take the ball with you.

It helps if you get decent passes.

• @2005magic said in Coming to terms with our Position:

@Papacito Okedoke, whilst happy to be a development club promoting from within except for a few imported stars, I’d only support it once NRL introduces some reward for such e.g. transfer fees for locally produced players going elsewhere.

Agree. There should definitely be a transfer fee.

• @mike said in Coming to terms with our Position:

@Sco77y said in Coming to terms with our Position:

@bigsiro said in Coming to terms with our Position:

It helps if you get decent passes.

Brooks hospital passes are a particular highlight every match day…

• Banned

@The_Doc said in Coming to terms with our Position:

I cant come to terms with how we basically had a fresh cap in 2017 was it? and botched it, someone needs to wear the brunt of letting Cleary run the show seemingly without question.

Well both recruiters from 2017 are now gone in ivan and Egan…Can’t believe that we had a “clean” cap in 2017 after struggling for all those years only to be much worse off in 2019…The signings of McQueen, Mats, Packer and Reynolds all past their prime and injured on long term deals and for big $$$ was criminal…

• Banned

@WT2K said in Coming to terms with our Position:

@Papacito said in Coming to terms with our Position:

The previous coach, staff and CEO played high stakes poker with our salary cap in trying to buy a winning team.

The ceo has some explaining to do when he’s officially back at work

Sack the CEO…

• @matchball said in Coming to terms with our Position:

JT did all the hard work removing the problems. Ivan came in and stuffed it up.

Dont you miss the Good old days with Tim Sheens at least before every game we had a chance then after 10 15 minutes you would know which Tigers turned up now its like hope we dont get lapped or can we just lose by 10 or less

Recent Topics