Coming to terms with our Position

• Some of those numbers are way off, but still all blame goes to the coach and no one else. We had a respected coach who was doing well and he said he wanted these players and so he got them. The 4th seasons are what hurts. If they were off contract at the end of next season it wouldn’t be so bad for us or potential suitors. No one should be given a 4 year deal unless they’re in the elite Teddy, Ponga category… Should be a blanket rule

• @matchball said in Coming to terms with our Position:

JT did all the hard work removing the problems. Ivan came in and stuffed it up.

Ironic how everyone thought we finally had a real coach in Cleary after Potter and Taylor, yet Cleary walked out on us, leaving the club in a bigger mess than the previous two coaches combined.

• @tigerap agree 100% although we can blame Ivan for may things i dont think Mcqueen is one think he came in before Ivan, could be wrong though.

• I can’t argue with any of this
    We have to make sure we hang on to our good ones. In the last half dozen years we’ve let Addo-Carr, Koirobete, Papenhuizen, slip through our fingers, to say nothing of 3 of the big 4. That’s a big hole to fill and as we see from what we are stuck with, we’ve done a terrible job of filling these holes
    I’d say we have to be patient and look for one or two top notch signings and surround them with juniors and bargains
    We will likely need to pay overs and I’m fine with that for quality, but not for middle of the road players as we did under our previous coach

• @Curly_Tiger I am worried that our juniors and lower grades seem to have no big wingers or centres on their books. Is it something in the water we drink that stunts growth in our patch?

• @GNR4LIFE said in Coming to terms with our Position:

@matchball said in Coming to terms with our Position:

JT did all the hard work removing the problems. Ivan came in and stuffed it up.

Ironic how everyone thought we finally had a real coach in Cleary after Potter and Taylor, yet Cleary walked out on us, leaving the club in a bigger mess than the previous two coaches combined.

You know what’s coming GNR …you’ll be labelled a Taylor lover again

• @happy_tiger Omg, iirc at the time I was posting about how he’d done us dirty and wasn’t a quality coach but in terms of his time in charge and supports/finances… he was extremely limited and in no way accounted himself poorly, in hindsight we all got hoodwinked IC style

• @GNR4LIFE said in Coming to terms with our Position:

I thought Cleary was a good coach. He left a mess didn’t he.

• @Earl said in Coming to terms with our Position:

@GNR4LIFE said in Coming to terms with our Position:

I thought Cleary was a good coach. He left a mess didn’t he.

Little did any of us realise the we were just a stepping stone to his unfinished business at Penrith and obsession to coach son. Didnt care, showed no passion, wouldnt front the press or the players, short term thinking with panic player purchases on long term contracts and just treading water until his mates in Penrith came calling either via his son or some other back room method. Not much of a display of character.

• @2005magic It didn’t bother me last year but it’s hurting us now and in the future.

We just need to start making better decisions with our cap. Those players will drop off and new players will come in. I have no idea who we need to sign but Matterson to me is class and we got him. Develop the best younger players and recruit well and things will turn around.

I reckon Madge deserves a chance.

• Coming to terms with our position? On this forum circa 2007-8? Innsannink started a thread titled “we suck” after a loss to Manly in the wet round 3? Nothing has changed. Came to terms with our position then…nothing has changed.

• @2005magic said in Coming to terms with our Position:

I know in the end the CEO Pascoe signed off on the contracts but what do you do when told by coach and football manager and head of recruitment ‘this is right for dollars and we need them’???

Yeah I’m pretty sure most CEOs sign off on contracts from a governance and diligence perspective, not roster-building. Justin Pascoe is a sports business administrator not a coach or a talent scout.

• To be fair there were plenty on here that supported Clearys recruitment - especially that of Reynolds, Packer, and Matulino. At the time they had great support from fans- and were heralded as being far superior to anything that we had.
    Now that the reality of what we are left with has set in, and with a new coach who appears to view their value and future with the club differently, original opinions about these signings have certainly changed.
    Worst case of throwing good money after bad in our history.

• As a fan of the Baltimore Ravens a small market NFL team with high level success relative to their financial strength there is a recipe.

1. Long term Coaches 2) Draft and develop players well 3) Have an identity ie Defence/offence. 4) Retain solid leaders and key position players.

Signing players in free agency to big contracts is what the losing teams do. Inevitably teams overpay and they are not the right fit tactically.
    The only exception are teams on the cusp of a premiership.

Look at Melbourne all their stars were recruited young and developed into stars. They let players go when they become expensive ie: Blair, Proctor, Korobiete, Widdop. Mostly they retain key players Smith, Slater, Cronk, Bromwich.
    They also have a talent pipeline that can cover departures.

Madge will take the same approach and I hope he’s here for 10 years to carry it out. It’s not always going to lead to results but it’s the only way for WT to succeed consistently over the long term.

• @Telltails said in Coming to terms with our Position:

To be fair there were plenty on here that supported Clearys recruitment - especially that of Reynolds, Packer, and Matulino. At the time they had great support from fans- and were heralded as being far superior to anything that we had.
    Now that the reality of what we are left with has set in, and with a new coach who appears to view their value and future with the club differently, original opinions about these signings have certainly changed.
    Worst case of throwing good money after bad in our history.

I think most have no issue with these players it’s really their contract numbers which, are negligent. Lack of patience and paying overs is dumb and can only be done on short term contracts. No one would have supported these moves knowing what is out there now. It has zero to do with coaching style these players will never live up to their contracts. They are on rep level contracts and are not origin players. They have injury histories and are ageing.

These sound like Mineral Exploration contracts for the old NSW labor party tbh.

Recent Topics