Coming to terms with our Position

• @Telltails said in Coming to terms with our Position:

To be fair there were plenty on here that supported Clearys recruitment - especially that of Reynolds, Packer, and Matulino. At the time they had great support from fans- and were heralded as being far superior to anything that we had.
    Now that the reality of what we are left with has set in, and with a new coach who appears to view their value and future with the club differently, original opinions about these signings have certainly changed.
    Worst case of throwing good money after bad in our history.

I’m OK with Reynolds. He was probably paid a little more than. I would have liked but he is a bloke who has played in two Grand finals and represented his state and regularly saw finals footy.

Packer was coming off a good return at Saints but the money reported was exorbitant. Matulino was the signing I was least thrilled about but the money wasn’t reported as high as the others.

Packer does need to go though, I agree. It looked like Cleary had a plan, and many of us trusted him to make it work. He did wrong by us. Fair enough, some geniuses called it at the time and I guess when you back the winning horse you can gloat about it.

• Our position as far as I see it is at best bottom four this season and as for the future don’t get your hopes up.

• @TYGA said in Coming to terms with our Position:

As a fan of the Baltimore Ravens a small market NFL team with high level success relative to their financial strength there is a recipe.

Boooooooo!!! Hope they go winless this season and Lamar Jackson turns out to be the rubbish qb that I believe he will!

• @jirskyr said in Coming to terms with our Position:

@2005magic said in Coming to terms with our Position:

I know in the end the CEO Pascoe signed off on the contracts but what do you do when told by coach and football manager and head of recruitment ‘this is right for dollars and we need them’???

Yeah I’m pretty sure most CEOs sign off on contracts from a governance and diligence perspective, not roster-building. Justin Pascoe is a sports business administrator not a coach or a talent scout.

Ceo’s should be involved with contract negotiations and the cap management. If Pascoe is just signing of on things then we have the wrong guy.

• @cochise said in Coming to terms with our Position:

@TYGA said in Coming to terms with our Position:

As a fan of the Baltimore Ravens a small market NFL team with high level success relative to their financial strength there is a recipe.

Boooooooo!!! Hope they go winless this season and Lamar Jackson turns out to be the rubbish qb that I believe he will!

Defence and pound the rock. Ravens Flocking.

• @balmain-boy Which numbers are way off mate. very interested as they were the best i could find

@cochise said in Coming to terms with our Position:

Bengals to sweep the Ravens!

• And to think we’re only out of the 8 on F&A

• @bythebeardofzeus said in Coming to terms with our Position:

And to think we’re only out of the 8 on F&A

There’s a long way to go and a lot of average teams running around.

• @hodgo it’s all a long time ago now. Matulino was definitely on less than packer. Just under 500k from memory. Reynolds 750-800. No more than that. Think Brooks is on more now.

In the end almost everyone at the club is being paid overs. It’s the only way we can entice them to choose us.

• @cochise said in Coming to terms with our Position:

@cochise said in Coming to terms with our Position:

Bengals to sweep the Ravens!

Bengals have more in common without Wests Tigers than the logo.

• @balmain-boy said in Coming to terms with our Position:

@hodgo it’s all a long time ago now. Matulino was definitely on less than packer. Just under 500k from memory. Reynolds 750-800. No more than that. Think Brooks is on more now.

In the end almost everyone at the club is being paid overs. It’s the only way we can entice them to choose us.

This is the problem. It stemmed from back ending deals in 2012. Balmain going broke and NRL administration a few years ago. It started to turn with Wests Control but poor coaching selections by inexperienced administrators gave us Potter, JT. We lost our juniors. Cleary came in to rebuild his brand and used the Tigers for his own benefit. On top of this we have poor investment, training facilities and lack of corporate support. Throw in 3 home grounds and we are where we are.

It’s simple build the centre of excellence, fix the cap and build the club with investment from Wests Group and also Balmain hopefully becoming viable again.

A bad decade and the club is still surviving the fan base serves better.

Bengals have more in common without Wests Tigers than the logo.

I know that, I’ve followed them since the 80’s. Their fan base is probably more negative than the Tigers, but that happens when you haven’t won a playoff game since 1990!

• @Madge

Wests Tigers undergo harsh honesty session as they attempt to save their season

Ryan Matterson has revealed how a routine video review turned into a confronting honesty session at Concord this week as the Tigers try to right the ship on their ailing season.

Fatima Kdouh, The Daily Telegraph

Subscriber only

|

June 13, 2019 6:27pm

Ryan Matterson during Wests Tigers training at Concord Oval, Sydney. Picture: Brett Costello

NEW TEAM: Beattie opens door for expansionMATTY JOHNS: Pearce finds his level

A routine video review turned into a confronting honesty session at Concord Oval this week after the Wests Tigers’ humiliating loss to Canberra.

Tigers star Ryan Matterson has revealed to The Daily Telegraph how the joint venture’s third straight loss was the catalyst for a brutal post mortem where players singled out teammates for their performances in the 28-0 drubbing at Bankwest Stadium last Friday night.

“We’re becoming an honest team, especially with each other as teammates. We’re trying to fix our wrongs and we are holding each other accountable,” Matterson said.

“I feel like the video session has really narrowed our focus and brought back a bit of DNA that we lost from the pre-season.”

The Tigers were run off the park against the Raiders. Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images.

According to Fox Sports Lab, last week’s game was the first time since 2017 the Tigers have been held scoreless. It was also only the 10th time it has happened in the club’s history.

Coach Michael Maguire’s men have struggled this season to find points in the opening 20 minutes and final quarter of matches but the Tigers have the second best points differential (68) in the competition during the middle period of the game.

Matterson insists his side’s inability to find the tryline is “not really a worry” and that the points will flow as early as tonight against North Queensland in Townsville.

Recent Topics