Fullback required

@TIGER Yep agree. We aren’t going to win the premiership this year, so give him some time to get his confidence. Mbye has had his chance at fullback and I don’t see anyone else for the $$ or with enthusiasm for it.

I would be talking to the Dogs re Meaney. If DWZ goes to fullback young Meaney might be surplus to requirements. If that fails young Smith should be fast tracked into the team

@supercoach I don’t think it’s worth going after Meaney as a stop-gap, he’s just not a clear improvement - better in some aspects of the game but less effective in others than what we already have. What we really need is pace and/or power at the back but there are unfortunately no options available until the end of 2020 now. End of 2020:

• Tom Trbojevic;
  • Latrell Mitchell;
  • Ryan Papenhuyzen
  • AJ Brimson
  • DWZ
  • CNK

If we want to change up fullback for next year then I think we’d be better taking a chance on a talented youngster than going for a Meaney or Kahu type player.

@Nelson Correction to my reply. We need to be smarter regarding our signings. No point signing another average player, unless you want to continue with average results i.e. 9th/10th place.

last edited by Tcat

@weststigers said in Fullback required:

A lot of players dropped balls last night, so I won’t judge Thommo on this game alone. He’s been so good at FB in the past, so I’ll put it down to an off handling night.

Sorry I don’t think that’s right, he dropped too many last night and several last week too. As @WeHaveCheeKam said, it’s something like 5 bombs in 2 weeks and mostly they were uncontested. Add to last week failing to defuse the Raiders short kicks either.

He’s a good lad Thompson but frankly I expect the more consistent game time he gets at FB, the more the cracks in his game are shown up. He’s a good backup option but you want to bring in quality at FB.

@supercoach Meaney is the real deal ,when this kid fills out a bit could he anything and not mentioned he can kick so not many have watch him closely . DWZ goes back to fullback the Dogs still have cap issues and want to sign more players … I see no reason the Dogs would not do a deal to free up money it is a fix fix for the Tigers Imo .

Can those who have watched Dylan Smith share some perspective please:
Ball playing?
Pace?
Defence?
Stands out in his current level?

last edited by Mccarry

@Snake …agreed mate, he is very quick as we saw on display at Cambo when we played the Dogs. We chased hard for his signature before we signed MM. I just think he has plenty of upside to him and that’s what we need

@supercoach said in Fullback required:

@Snake …agreed mate, he is very quick as we saw on display at Cambo when we played the Dogs. We chased hard for his signature before we signed MM. I just think he has plenty of upside to him and that’s what we need

He’s had 11 consecutive games to show his wares at fullback and has produced no tries, no linebreaks and one try assist. He is not a dynamic fullback. Even in ISP in 2017 he made 13 linebreaks and scored 5 tries across 24 matches. In 2018 in ISP he had 2 tries and 1 linebreak across 9 matches. He has no form line to suggest he is going to be a huge attacking threat at the back and that is something this team needs given our general lack of threat elsewhere.

@jirskyr said in Fullback required:

@weststigers said in Fullback required:

A lot of players dropped balls last night, so I won’t judge Thommo on this game alone. He’s been so good at FB in the past, so I’ll put it down to an off handling night.

Sorry I don’t think that’s right, he dropped too many last night and several last week too. As @WeHaveCheeKam said, it’s something like 5 bombs in 2 weeks and mostly they were uncontested. Add to last week failing to defuse the Raiders short kicks either.

He’s a good lad Thompson but frankly I expect the more consistent game time he gets at FB, the more the cracks in his game are shown up. He’s a good backup option but you want to bring in quality at FB.

Agree he had a bad game with his hands, but there were 12 errors last night by our guys…Thompson wasn’t the only one who dropped the ball. That’s all I was saying.

Would I like to see a quality fullback in the team. Absolutely!, but my point is, given this years squad, who else do you put there? We can only work with what we have. Mbye is just as bad under the high ball.

@Nelson Maybe an indication of the players around him Dogs = last place .

Our best player under the high ball is Jennings, so I guess he should be our fullback? Couldn’t hurt.

leaves forum quickly

@avocadoontoast Wow…your post was pretty much swearing…u could get banned for saying that lol

@TeddyWasAFraud Whats a fullback asks every Tigers fan

@Mccarry said in Fullback required:

Can those who have watched Dylan Smith share some perspective please:
Ball playing?
Pace?
Defence?
Stands out in his current level?

Ive watched a bit of him in nsw cup and he def has stood out at the level especially for a guy who was 19 playing against men.

He seems a good all round ball playing fullback but was also making 130 meters a game. His defence was weaker last yr but he really picked up this year which makes sense being in thw nrl squad and training with them.

His statistics in nsw cup are good all around just needs a little more strength for nrl imo. An injury free off season and i think he will start at fb next yr. He is currently out injured though ans the quicker he comes back the better it will be for us long term.