Women's SOO - legitimate contender?

• Good on the Women’s SOO last night at North Sydney, getting 10,515 through the gate. Does this make the match a serious contender now within the annual program?

In contrast, only 10,021 rocked up to see Raiders defeat Sharks last Thursday and 9,973 for Warriors v Titans on the Friday. ~8K each turned up to Brookie and SCG on the Sunday. The Tigers and Penrith games were mid 11K.

It means the Women’s SOO was the 5th-highest crowd of the last 9 games of rugby league played.

• Probably depends on did fans actually play to attend

Are we going to make this concept fair …playing games in one state doesn’t really do that

• I watched it.

Just gonna be honest… I was not in any way entertained.
    See more exciting games at the local field between under 14 teams.

I know some of em are rated as pretty girls but I wasn’t rly fussed with any of their looks let alone ability…

At least women’s MMA has some good looking ladies. No sexism here though…
    Let me remind u that USA beat Thailand in some crazy score in women’s soccer… the USA team also got beat by a male u14 team.

Hopefully they make it a thing cos women deserve to play if they wish but I can’t see it having a massive following.

• @Demps said in Women's SOO - legitimate contender?:

I watched it.

Just gonna be honest… I was not in any way entertained.
    See more exciting games at the local field between under 14 teams.

I know some of em are rated as pretty girls but I wasn’t rly fussed with any of their looks let alone ability…

At least women’s MMA has some good looking ladies. No sexism here though…
    Let me remind u that USA beat Thailand in some crazy score in women’s soccer… the USA team also got beat by a male u14 team.

Hopefully they make it a thing cos women deserve to play if they wish but I can’t see it having a massive following.

I watched it and really enjoyed the game, but I didn’t watch it expecting an NRL quality game or to have a perv so that may have been the difference!

• I watched it at a pub. I thought it was a good game and entertaining.

• Great game with origin
    intensity… The atmosphere was evident even watching on tv

• I really enjoyed the game it was played in good spirit and they tried their hardest,certainly it wasnt NRL standard but the quality was good enough to develop the sport and get more womens involvement in the game which has to be a good thing

• @jadtiger said in Women's SOO - legitimate contender?:

I really enjoyed the game it was played in good spirit and they tried their hardest,certainly it wasnt NRL standard but the quality was good enough to develop the sport and get more womens involvement in the game which has to be a good thing

Agreed, a game of footy that isn’t NRL standard can be just as enjoyable to watch.

• The origin teams and the kiwis should be set up for a 3 way contest.

• @happy_tiger said in Women's SOO - legitimate contender?:

Probably depends on did fans actually play to attend

$10 pre-purchased. Not sure of at-ground cost.

I kind of like the women’s game at the highest levels - much slower motion and they really have to play what’s in front of them rather than rely on pure speed / power.

Also gives the big lassies some real impact, because sport normally isn’t for big lassies.

• @Harvey said in Women's SOO - legitimate contender?:

The origin teams and the kiwis should be set up for a 3 way contest.

Back in 2014 we watched the ladies SOO game in Townsville , the hits were huge

• Think it says more about the decline in people attending NRL than it does about this being a contender.

• My son’s former club is struggling to field a boys 14’s side and has no 16’s. In contrast, and in the inaugural season for the girls comp, they have two 14’s teams and a big squad in their 16’s.

This new competition comes on the back of the great success of the initial 9’s short season concept that ran at the end of the regular junior’s comp last year. I think it is a great spectacle.

• Yes reckon this will be the young fellas last season

• @happy_tiger said in Women's SOO - legitimate contender?:

Yes reckon this will be the young fellas last season

Most likely the same for hobbo Jnr

How good were the glory days when they were little !

Recent Topics