Recruitment and Retention

The story being sold is that the big clubs rosters are built on being able to identify talent and lock it up before other clubs drive the players contract up.

I think Mikaele, Twal, Matterson, Aloiai and Liddle we have the foundation of a good pack and bench for years to come.

The club needs to get in and lock these guys up long term if possible, before their value skyrockets.

You can then build around them with big names or up and coming players based on what is available.

If you look at what we have done with signing top class juniors at 18 over the last 2 yeara youll see us taking the strategy. People need to stop looking so much at nrl signings because generally quality players arent leaving thiet club to come to a team running 9th. The Knights signed blokes but mainly they got lucky on Ponga and had 3 yrs of the spoon where tthey front paid everyone in thier roster so they h asd space.

We have signed from memory externally juniors/ devel players

FB- Dylan Smith and Logan Dillon
W- Kane Bradley and Ryan Garner
C- Zac Cini and Gibbs from newcastle although he went homesick
FE- Talau
HB- Madden
L- Seyfarth
SR- Mcintyre
H- Jake Simpkins
P- Young Henry Something something and Mikelle

We have mad a conscious effort to go out and sign class juniors from other clubs over the last 2 years and offer overs and spots in our devleopement abd moving into the top 30 as part of the contracts to take the approsch of Roosters in buying great juniors before they become stars not after they have been. I think the future is bright just need to develop them well

@boonboon This is 100% correct. I’ve said it many, many times on here but it’s practically impossible to turn a bad roster into a good one by signing established, 100+ game first-grade players as free agents. That’s not because “good players won’t sign for the Tigers”, it’s because free agent deals are the most expensive ones a club will ever sign - they chew up cap room and they certainly don’t always work out.

Don’t get me wrong, I believe the Roosters are cheating as much as anyone else. But that doesn’t mean they aren’t smart, too. They’ve added Tedesco, Cronk etc to a roster built on the likes of Cordner, Mitchell, Manu, Taukeiaho, Waerea-Hargreaves and the like - guys they either poached as juniors or after a handful of first grade games.

But but but we need to sign someone before June 30 or we are doomed to another year of failure. Or are you all happy to sit on our hands and accept failures? How is it that Parra or Bulldogs can sign players but the Tigers aren’t signing anyone? Boo hoo

@jirskyr The CEO just stated another couple of seasons to get the cap in order to sign players . I seem to remember he is one of the reasons this is so , him and his mate the bus driver!and his BIG rubber stamp !

last edited by Snake

@Snake said in Recruitment and Retention:

@jirskyr The CEO just stated another couple of seasons to get the cap in order to sign players . I seem to remember he is one of the reasons this is so , him and his mate the bus driver!and his BIG rubber stamp !

The cap is in order - Tigers are not over the cap and we are wearing a penalty the next 2 seasons.

If you mean we can’t sign marquee players for a few seasons, yeah ok, so what? I must have missed the marquee signings we normally make year on year.

I’ve said this before, I can’t understand how anyone can be surprised that a new coach with available cap will end up with some of his roster locked in for 3-4 seasons. The fact that the coach left early doesn’t reflect on the players nor the CEO.

It doesn’t make sense to me that people are fingering Pascoe because Ivan Cleary backstabbed the Tigers. Are people getting angry at Blake Solly (Rabbits CEO) for the fact that Seibold left? Are people still angry at Joe Kelly (former Manly CEO) because Trent Barrett didn’t see out his contract? The same Joe Kelly who copped 12 months ban whilst Roosters CEO for the Manly salary cap, yet is still the Roosters CEO. What about Lyall Gorman who was in charge of Cronulla when Flanagan was breaching his NRL ban? Nope Lyall is alright, he’s the current Manly CEO.

I don’t give a rats about those other Clubs or what they do with their CEO’s…burn in hell for all I care…

I care about Wests Tigers and you can’t sugar coat Pascoe’s involvement in the Cap fine…ignorance of the rules is not an excuse in fact it’s probably worse than trying to cheat and not get caught like the others…and that it has hampered our current Cap position…having to absorb 330K this year plus the 100K in the bank would have got a decent First Grade player this year and again the 330K we carry next year effects the quality of player we will be able to attract…if he had informed the NRL rhen there would be no fine…nothing…It wasn’t his fault Voldamort sold us down the river

Willing to give the bloke a go as I do believe he does have the best interests of Wests Tigers at heart but he needs to be better at his job…simple

@Geo said in Recruitment and Retention:

I don’t give a rats about those other Clubs or what they do with their CEO’s…burn in hell for all I care…

I care about Wests Tigers and you can’t sugar coat Pascoe’s involvement in the Cap fine…ignorance of the rules is not an excuse in fact it’s probably worse than trying to cheat and not get caught like the others…and that it has hampered our current Cap position…having to absorb 330K this year plus the 100K in the bank would have got a decent First Grade player this year and again the 330K we carry next year effects the quality of player we will be able to attract…if he had informed the NRL rhen there would be no fine…nothing…It wasn’t his fault Voldamort sold us down the river

Willing to give the bloke a go as I do believe he does have the best interests of Wests Tigers at heart but he needs to be better at his job…simple

Quality post and reply.

Agree.

Front rower from Bulldogs - Kayne Kallache is the next Alex Twal.
We should sign him ASAP.

Being better at his job, what exactly does that mean? We all agree he made a technical error and we got smashed for it - no argument, and it’s not great. I doubt there will be a repeat of that mistake.

We can assume then that 330K undercut from 2018 is one modest player’s wage or half a good player’s wage, and you can directly pin on Pascoe. One potential signing. That’s fair.

Talk about the roster however, to me that’s off the mark. 1 player is not a roster. Matulino and Packer and Reynolds are all Cleary’s decisions. You agree with me that Pascoe isn’t responsible for Cleary. Lots of folks on here are boo-hooing the CEO because of decisions Cleary made and I don’t buy it.

in fact it’s probably worse than trying to cheat and not get caught like the others

You lost me there, are you being sarcastic? You really think it’s better if he actually tried to cheat? How do you know he isn’t actually cheating in other ways and he hasn’t in fact been caught? Also, I thought you didn’t care about those other clubs and their CEOs, so whether or not they are cheating (and getting away with it) should have nothing to do with it?

@jirskyr said in Recruitment and Retention:

Being better at his job, what exactly does that mean? We all agree he made a technical error and we got smashed for it - no argument, and it’s not great. I doubt there will be a repeat of that mistake.

We can assume then that 330K undercut from 2018 is one modest player’s wage or half a good player’s wage, and you can directly pin on Pascoe. One potential signing. That’s fair.

Talk about the roster however, to me that’s off the mark. 1 player is not a roster. Matulino and Packer and Reynolds are all Cleary’s decisions. You agree with me that Pascoe isn’t responsible for Cleary. Lots of folks on here are boo-hooing the CEO because of decisions Cleary made and I don’t buy it.

in fact it’s probably worse than trying to cheat and not get caught like the others

You lost me there, are you being sarcastic? You really think it’s better if he actually tried to cheat? How do you know he isn’t actually cheating in other ways and he hasn’t in fact been caught? Also, I thought you didn’t care about those other clubs and their CEOs, so whether or not they are cheating (and getting away with it) should have nothing to do with it?

Yes that bit was sarcasm…

I also believe he was initially against Farah coming back .he talked on 360 about the rigors of signing players and list management being part of his responsibility …I have said also the coach is responsible for the roster but there must be checks and balances in place…that is where I want him to be better …sometimes saying No is harder than yes…perhaps the odd no might have been more appropriate in Voldamorts case…

I still think that Pascoe has been left in an awkward position because the club decided to roll over and admit guilt to a non event that not many other clubs would have been punished for. Miranda wanted to have a go, but those that undermined her on the Ashfield board sentenced us to 2 years of purgatory.

The club cannot admit guilt and roll over and cop the punishment, while Pascoe comes back and pleads innocence,

PS how is Greg Inglis going in his new club appointed role that the NRL decided will not impact Souths cap for the next 2 years

@Harvey whats done is done. Time to move foward

@Tigerstar said in Recruitment and Retention:

@Harvey whats done is done. Time to move foward

Except for those that want to hang the CEO out to dry based on what’s done

@Harvey said in Recruitment and Retention:

I still think that Pascoe has been left in an awkward position because the club decided to roll over and admit guilt to a non event that not many other clubs would have been punished for. Miranda wanted to have a go, but those that undermined her on the Ashfield board sentenced us to 2 years of purgatory.

The club cannot admit guilt and roll over and cop the punishment, while Pascoe comes back and pleads innocence,

PS how is Greg Inglis going in his new club appointed role that the NRL decided will not impact Souths cap for the next 2 years

According to one journo.