The Madge factor has Marshall torn between signing off and playing on

@WeHaveCheeKam said in The Madge factor has Marshall torn between signing off and playing on:

Even at Reynolds best he was only worth half of what we are paying him. He was never an origin standard 5/8, and there is a reason he got bumped pretty quickly after that series.

It is one of the most horrendous signings in the history of the NRL in terms of price tag. It is up there with the huge Daniel Mortimer contract after 2011.

The series we won?

@gallagher said in The Madge factor has Marshall torn between signing off and playing on:

@WeHaveCheeKam said in The Madge factor has Marshall torn between signing off and playing on:

Even at Reynolds best he was only worth half of what we are paying him. He was never an origin standard 5/8, and there is a reason he got bumped pretty quickly after that series.

It is one of the most horrendous signings in the history of the NRL in terms of price tag. It is up there with the huge Daniel Mortimer contract after 2011.

The series we won?

The series we won yes. Lets not overplay his role. Queensland actually targeted him in game 3 and he let in 2-3 tries.

There is a reason that he was never picked again in state of origin despite being in the winning series

@gallagher said in The Madge factor has Marshall torn between signing off and playing on:

The series we won?

The series we won yes. Lets not overplay his role. Queensland actually targeted him in game 3 and he let in 2-3 tries.

There is a reason that he was never picked again in state of origin despite being in the winning series

As easy it is for you to say ‘there’s a reason he didn’t get picked again’ its also easy for me to say thats why we lost again.

He was a very good player and there’s no need to crap on his achievements.

Depends on what your definition of a very good player is. He was never more than a good first grader in my opinion and never anywhere near a marquee player.

He was a very good player and there’s no need to crap on his achievements.

One very important word in that sentence!

The big problem is no one will want our high priced deadwood …we will be stuck with them unless we bargain basement them off

And then unless we have a superstar youngster ready to make the step up we are carrying cap space again

@happy_tiger lol who genuinely cares … we’re the tigers ? Only one man does it seems 👑
All praise to him until things change. Not talking about Lenny Jr. By the way!!

I like Grub a lot and think he still offers something as he’s put in some good performances in the limited FG game time he’s had this year, but you can’t have him drifting in and out of the FG side when his hammies/groin/knees decide to hold up for a week. It’s ridiculously disruptive to both Josh and the team. He can’t string three games together without breaking down.

We’re past halfway into his second year and he’s played 9 out of a possible 39 games. That is a hideous stat.

@happy_tiger said in The Madge factor has Marshall torn between signing off and playing on:

The big problem is no one will want our high priced deadwood …we will be stuck with them unless we bargain basement them off

And then unless we have a superstar youngster ready to make the step up we are carrying cap space again

Look at it this way Hap.

Even if we pay 50% on Grub to play elsewhere, it’s what $300-400K we have to spend, and there’s every chance he’s burning $400K of some other teams cap to turn up less than 25% of the time in FG.

@Cultured_Bogan said in The Madge factor has Marshall torn between signing off and playing on:

@happy_tiger said in The Madge factor has Marshall torn between signing off and playing on:

Look at it this way Hap.

Even if we pay 50% on Grub to play elsewhere, it’s what $300-400K we have to spend, and there’s every chance he’s burning $400K of some other teams cap to turn up less than 25% of the time in FG.

Grub needs to be medically retired.

@bathursttiger This surely has to be the case , you just can’t keep paying someone to do nothing. He is psychically up to doing what he is paid to do or not . His inability to not get on the park is well documented over a period of time so surely the club will seek legal advice! Or has he spat the dummy ?

@Snake said in The Madge factor has Marshall torn between signing off and playing on:

@bathursttiger This surely has to be the case , you just can’t keep paying someone to do nothing. He is psychically up to doing what he is paid to do or not . His inability to not get on the park is well documented over a period of time so surely the club will seek legal advice! Or has he spat the dummy ?

My recollection is that you cannot medically retire a player that has re-injured pre-existing injuries. Happy to be corrected obviously.

last edited by Cultured_Bogan

@Cultured_Bogan said in The Madge factor has Marshall torn between signing off and playing on:

@Snake said in The Madge factor has Marshall torn between signing off and playing on:

My recollection is that you cannot medically retire a player that has re-injured pre-existing injuries. Happy to be corrected obviously.

Nope no chance and it’s nothing to do with the NRL…the insurance companies put it through the ringer…

Wests Tigers legend Benji Marshall is getting closer to an announcement on his future but insists he’ll be a content man if he plays his final NRL game before making a decision in the off-season.

Marshall was at his ultimate best in the shellacking of the Knights on Saturday with five try assists but any talk the clash could’ve been his final in Campbelltown appears to be wide of the mark with all signs pointing to another season being on the cards.

The joint venture said farewell Robbie Farah at the suburban venue on Saturday night with a lap of honour at half-time but Marshall didn’t receive the same treatment.

“I sort of wanted to wait and let the focus be about making the semis first,” Marshall said.

"They’re [the club] harassing me a bit. Well, everyone is, but I just don’t want to make the wrong decision.

"My body feels fine, body-wise I probably feel the best I have in years.

"But there’s a lot more to it than feeling good. There’s no secret, having a big pre-season under Madge [Michael Maguire] this year helped me provide a base.

“I’m just getting a bit of trust back in the body that I probably haven’t had in a few years. I’m feeling good. I’ll make the decision though in the next couple of weeks. I don’t mind it.”

Marshall’s next mission is to help the side beat his old club St George Illawarra at the SCG to set up a grand finale at Leichhardt Oval in the final round against Cronulla.

The Kiwi international believes returning livewire Josh Reynolds is the key to the final fortnight of the side’s quest to appear in the finals for the first time since 2011.

“He brings so much to the team without playing,” Marshall said.

"His inclusion brought energy without even getting to the game and I noticed an uplift in the team morale this week knowing he was going to be there and he did his job.

“I thought we learnt a lot of lessons off Manly last week, they starved us of the ball and it felt like we were defending the whole game. He’s going to play a big part in the next two weeks.”

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/25/benji-close-to-deciding-future-but-content-to-keep-everyone-guessing/

@Geo …GI was medically retired by the NRL and he had a long history with his battles with mental health issues. I think the NRL can rubber stamp It, it just might mean we have to pay Mats the dollars instead of a insurance company. Of course we are talking WestsTigers, so yes it’s a million to one to happen

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.