Tommy Talau

• Ok, so Talau is one of the more promising players out there for the Tigers. I saw him play with a lot of intent yesterday in the CC and he plays in the Centres predominately…and where do we lack o fair bit of…the centres…he needs to debut soon. Am i correct in saying he is in our 30?

• Correct, m8. Looking forward to debuts

• @Matto Yes he is in our 30. I imagine if he gets time at centre, Momo may be on the move when his contract expires at the end of 2020

• Tommy looks very mature especially with his size.
    187 cm and 96 kg at 19
    Played junior reps in forwards and halves but the early signs were there Tigers wanted him in backs when he was picked on the Wing in a pre-season trial game.
    Has been lacking quality ball in CC but its obvious he has alot of potential and Tigers see him in First grade soon.

• Needs a lot of work in defense like all young centres. Not ready yet IMO

• Masters should be the the one to lift his game if anything. He’s been bog average this year.

• @Tcat 💯 percent

• @Matto said in Tommy Talau:

Ok, so Talau is one of the more promising players out there for the Tigers. I saw him play with a lot of intent yesterday in the CC and he plays in the Centres predominately…and where do we lack o fair bit of…the centres…he needs to debut soon. Am i correct in saying he is in our 30?

Did you also see all the unforced errors he made?
    I hate to use the word potential but he does have it… but nowhere near first grade yet.

• Seyfarth and Talau named in New South Wales U/20’s squad
    Author
    Dan Talintyre
    Timestamp
    Mon 1 Jul 2019, 12:31 PM

Wests Tigers players Alex Seyfarth and Tommy Talau have been named in the New South Wales U/20’s squad for their clash against Queensland at ANZ Stadium on Wednesday, July 10.

After recently earning promotion from their Development contracts to the NRL Top 30 squad, Seyfarth and Talau have both been named amongst the reserves by Coach Mark O’Meley and will head in to camp on Friday, July 5.

The U/20’s match will be played before Game Three of the State of Origin series with the Blues looking to bounce back from last year’s 30-12 defeat.

NEW SOUTH WALES U/20’S

1. Tex Hoy (Newcastle Knights)
    2. Tui Katoa (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
    3. Stephen Crichton (Penrith Panthers)
    4. Ethan Parry (Parramatta Eels)
    5. Jason Saab (St. George-Illawarra Dragons)
    6. Cooper Johns (Melbourne Storm)
    7. Brandon Wakeham (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
    8. Spencer Leniu (Penrith Panthers)
    9. Sam Verrills (Sydney Roosters)
    10. Oregon Kaufusi (Parramatta Eels)
    11. Teig Wilton (Cronulla Sharks)
    12. Matthew Doorey (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
    13. Darby Medlyn (Canberra Raiders)

Interchange:
    14. Luke Huth (Newcastle Knights)
    15. Stefano Utoikamanu (Parramatta Eels)
    16. Matt Croker (Newcastle Knights
    17. Ky Rodwell (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
    18. Tommy Talau (Wests Tigers)
    19. Alex Seyfarth (Wests Tigers)
    20. Phoenix Crossland (Newcastle Knights)

Coach: Mark O’Meley

• @TheDaBoss Robbed! Noone starting or even in the 14-17!

• Bradley seems to have been forgotten. I must have my WTs’ colours on because Bradley absolutely put it all over Saab in the game I watched. Saab also looked considerably slower than Bradley.

• @TheDaBoss
    With dodgy selections again this team will get pumped like last year. Cooper Johns Bahahaha the Newcastle mafia strikes again

• 'Sky is the limit’ for Tigers teen Talau, says delighted dad Willie
    August 13, 2019 — 5.52pm

Willie Talau, a man who knows what it takes to carve out a career in the NRL, reckons “the sky is the limit” for his teenage son.

The Wests Tigers named Tommy Talau to replace injured centre Moses Mbye for Thursday’s crucial clash against Manly at Brookvale. The 19-year-old is one of the club’s most promising playmakers and has already represented the Australian Schoolboys and NSW at under-18s State of Origin level. While he normally plays in the halves, coach Michael Maguire has slotted him into the three-quarter line for his NRL debut.

If he has a fraction of the success of Willie Talau, then the Tigers have a good one on their hands. Talau snr made more than 100 first-grade appearances for Canterbury, represented the Kiwis 13 times and also had a distinguished career in the English Super League. The 43-year-old couldn’t be more proud to see Tommy get his opportunity.

“I’m really excited for him,” Talau said. "He’s definitely got the work ethic. The sky is the limit for him.

“I coached him at SG Ball and Harold Matts at the Bulldogs, as well as the stuff we do around home. Tommy is enthusiastic about his footy and is really easy to teach to be honest, he loves it. He takes on criticism well and tries to improve every week. That’s all you can ask for.”

The Tigers signed Talau for this year after the five-eighth became the Bulldogs’ leading tryscorer en route to last year’s SG Ball grand final appearance. The Moorebank Rams junior has made the jump from Jersey Flegg to Canterbury Cup with the Tigers, averaging more than 100 metres and four tackle breaks per game, as well as scoring four tries in nine games. He gets to run out against the Sea Eagles after being upgraded to the club’s top-30 squad before the June 30 deadline.

“Tommy is extremely competitive and just loves footy,” Willie Talau said. "He loves to learn about it, he’s a student of the game, always asking questions. He watches a lot of games on tele and tries to gather as much information as he can.

“Tommy never supported a team when he grew up, he supported players. The Melbourne Storm players, he loved Cooper Cronk because he is a half. (Cameron) Munster and Billy Slater were among his favourites, all the exciting ones.”

Tommy Talau didn’t feel any pressure to follow in his father’s footsteps, whether it be playing football or opting to leave Canterbury.

“It’s weird, I’ve always just been dad,” Willie Talau said. "Our relationship, when I’m the coach I’m coach, but as far as what I’ve done before it just goes straight over the top of his head.

"The decision to leave the Bulldogs was totally Tommy’s. He thought he needed to go somewhere fresh, he was 18 turning 19 and I thought it was time to make his own decisions.

"It was no disrespect to the Dogs, he just wanted a fresh start somewhere else.

"He got a great opportunity to do that with the Tigers and it just happened. He’s made the decision and backed himself.

“On a personal note I’m over the moon for him. Obviously I have a great understanding of how hard it is to get there, all the effort and sacrifices that go into making your debut. It’s also the start of a career, so we’re excited and can’t wait to see him run out.”

• ForumSupporter

68755773_676190342896016_6865615903963217920_n.jpg

Best of luck Wests Tiger #255…

• Fun fact
    First player in first grade for us that was actually born after the creation of Wests Tigers.
    Makes me feel so old

Recent Topics