Esan Masters Please Stand Up

• @beachtiger said in Esan Masters Please Stand Up:

I’m starting to wonder if the goal kicking plays around with his confidence too much. When he plays for NZ he seems a different player and maybe it’s because he doesn’t have the burden of kicking goals.

I think he’s got a heap of talent but just goes missing, hopefully we buy an actual kicker soon and he can just concentrate on playing his position.

I tend to agree with this. The first goal he missed he looked really down

• He is a forward filling in at our weakest spot in our roster.

• He needs to run from dummy half more. He cant skip then and makes good metres. Frustrates me every game. Another player with ability who has no clue how to use it. Must drive the coach nuts.

• @Toowoomba_Tiger I actually agree, he has been poor but he was ok tonight.

• Definitely seems to drop his head a bit with the goal kicking. We all know he can be damaging with the ball, needs to put away the skip and crabbing before the line.

• Was pretty hard to handle tonight.

• After this season must never be asked to kick a goal again.

• Done nothing all season.

• He played with more aggression tonight than he has nearly any game of the season. The skip and sideways play that has become a standard part of his game have really lowered his impact as he’s just not fast enough to get outside his man and needs every second he can get. He’ll be good somewhere in the front row one day where he’s asked to just run straight and hard.

• Needs an off-season working on agility and speed. Needs to play 5kgs lighter in weight.

• @Telltails said in Esan Masters Please Stand Up:

He needs to run from dummy half more. He cant skip then and makes good metres. Frustrates me every game. Another player with ability who has no clue how to use it. Must drive the coach nuts.

I agree totally. That little skip and step and then some go-forward…,? He needs to understand he is a big unit and can run straight and hard and often!! Sure skip and step to create the gap AFTER he’s dented the line with his aggression and size.

And … give goal kicking away. It gives him a way to get on the score sheet - not as much as he should though…he’s an ordinary kicker.

Make him work to prove his worth for this team.

• Im pretty sure Madge has said that he’s been thrown the ball to kick and is practicing a lot to improve. So credit to him for stepping up to the plate. I don’t know why Benji doesn’t kick. He’s no better or worse. Maybe fatigue might be a factor at his age.

• What to do with Esan ! IMO he is done at Centre to slow / lazy defence /poor handling so where does it go from here? this is the issue the club is in moving forward.

• @Snake said in Esan Masters Please Stand Up:

What to do with Esan ! IMO he is done at Centre to slow / lazy defence /poor handling so where does it go from here? this is the issue the club is in moving forward.

This is the question. Is he the right option for us going forward. He is a New Zealand test centre but his performances for us have been ordinary this year. We need a lot better.

• @Snake I feel the same. Masters has been this biggest disappointment in the WTs team this year. I would like to see him moved into the forwards, but there are obviously issues with filling his centre spot. I think Mbye, now playing in the centre’s should be practising for a take over at goal kicking. Mbye is on big $$, so polish up the kicking and embrace Masters centre spot for next year. Momo to take the other centre spot (No worse or slower than Masters). Masters enjoy the back row somewhere brother because you have it too easy in the backs and aren’t putting in.

Recent Topics