Home Ground situation needs to change

• @MAGPIES1963 said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

@cochise re your “My old allegiances and ideas were put away a long time ago” Does having a set of Wests Tigers number plates attached to my cars for about 10 years qualify for your above statement?
    I agree with you Cochise, no fanciful dreams and the water that’s gone under the bridge IS ‘past’ history.
    I still stick with the idea of an upgraded Campbelltown Stadium though. Not because it’s in Campbelltown, but the fact that many people know and love it already and would have to be easier to upgrade it than start all over again somewhere else.
    It will be a real $$$ spinner for whichever Council is smart enough to take Our Wests Tigers on cheers ☺

I would have loved for Campbelltown to be our base, but it just isn’t an option. That is me being realistic, not anti wests.

Canada Bay council has already taken us on!

• fair enough @cochise: It’s very obvious we still have a long way to go before ‘everything’ is sorted out. It’s gonna take time and we’re gonna need a bigger boat, ah sorry, ground. See Yuh ☺

• @cochise said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

@Telltails That is true, but some public pressure could have changed things. Whenever Liverpool was mentioned in the media there was nothing from us. As I have pointed out WSS is my preference for our home ground, other are saying Liverpool would be better, I’m saying it is too late for Liverpool as that needed to be pushed when WSS in Liverpool was still an option!

Just because we weren’t mentioned doesn’t mean we didn’t try. The press can be sharks when they have an agenda and want a specific outcome. I wouldn’t read to much into the fact that you didn’t hear from WT. It probably just meant that what we were saying didn’t meet the narrative the press were after.

• @hammertime said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

I think we can all agree that the number of home games at the local grounds should be reduced to 1 each.

So to me, the debate is around “do we base ourselves at Homebush or Parramatta?”

Maybe it’s my work kicking in here, but we had a problem like this recently and we tackled it by taking emotion and subjectivity out of it and based it on some statistics (essentially a sample set).

Lets first start by picking 1 ground. WSS. Start collecting data (Which we are kind of doing now). But, maybe take it further. To get a good sample, we need to look baselining the # games & opposition to make it consistent. So, the first step would be to make the decision now for 1 ground at WSS (with 3 LO, CSS & Tam) and then keep that consistency for a few years.

Then we spend a year or two based out of the new ANZ. Collect comparable data there and weight it across both for things like playing day & weather (you could get a # for average fluctuation across the league based on these)

Then put the figures up. Average crowd, growth in membership, financials etc. Even things like performance could be a factor if you can remove subjectivity and balance for the roster. You could survey members and the playing group. Area growth could be included too, projected with future growth by the correlation to the relative increase in crowd/memberships.

Hopefully then, one of the two stands out above the other. It’s an easy decision then and removes future debate.

So a few years at WSS and a year or so at the re-vamped ANZ? So, as much as I respect your reasoning, 5 or so years to determine a potential home-ground advantage for WT?? Isn’t that too long or am I being selfish in wanting it in my lifetime?

• Once the new soccer stadium is built at Campbelltown, maybe we can come to a shared arrangement? 18k capacity did i see? Thats about right for our crowds on a good day.

• G’day ☺ @Furious1: I wonder why it is that soccer can afford to build a stadium at Campbelltown but Our Wests Tigers can not as so many on here are saying. To me, something seems crook in Talarook but it’s a no brainer IMO that We do build a new and exciting stadium .in partnership with the soccer authorities ☺

G’day @Furious1: I wonder why it is that soccer can afford to build a stadium at Campbelltown but Our Wests Tigers can not as so many on here are saying.

I doubt that they can, BW cost $300m

• G’day @hammertime: I don’t agree with your thoughts re playing out of Homebush or Parra, but it’s a post you have put a lot of your thought into and Our Wests Tigers Forum I’m sure can take in any and every idea and throw them around, cheers ☺

• It is about identity, brand and partnerships.

The new a-league team is backed by a couple of very big property developers. They have linked themselves to the local council and university with a vision for an upgraded stadium and centre of excellence selling a win win situation for all partners.

The Tigers have decided to base themselves in the inner west and take what is offered

G’day @hammertime: I don’t agree with your thoughts re playing out of Homebush or Parra, but it’s a post you have put a lot of your thought into and Our Wests Tigers Forum I’m sure can take in any and every idea and throw them around, cheers ☺

It’s not ideal mate, but we’re not going to get stadium funding and CSS just doesn’t have the data to back it.

• @Tiger-Tragic said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

So a few years at WSS and a year or so at the re-vamped ANZ? So, as much as I respect your reasoning, 5 or so years to determine a potential home-ground advantage for WT?? Isn’t that too long or am I being selfish in wanting it in my lifetime?

It’s a fair comment mate, but the way I look at it. We’re already at WSS, so it’s only 1 change back to ANZ, possibly 2 if WSS turns out the better option.

I don’t think the important thing is setting in stone our ground immediately but increasing the games at 1 ground. Something we can call ours, alongside our COE.

If we’re going to decide on something for the long term of our club. It needs to be done right or the debate will rage on forever. You can see all the differing opinions here.

And we need to at least wait on ANZ before we choose.

P.s. Hope you’ve got longer to go than 5 years by the way!

I still stick with the idea of an upgraded Campbelltown Stadium though. Not because it’s in Campbelltown, but the fact that many people know and love it already and would have to be easier to upgrade it than start all over again somewhere else.
    It will be a real $$$ spinner for whichever Council is smart enough to take Our Wests Tigers on cheers ☺

Hey mate, the biggest problem with cambo isn’t actually things like the crowd, despite that being an issue, it’s the corporate sponsorship. You need to have multiple sports at one ground so you can sell things like corporate boxes and signage. ANZ would attract say Lion Nathan, while cambo might get the local engineering firm. That’s why we get paid money at ANZ, but lose at cambo. Corporates are key here. If we play at cambo, we’ll lose money hand over fist.

• @mike said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

@cochise said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

@Cultured_Bogan said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

Why are we talking about BankWest like we pack it out and deriding ANZ for poor attendances in the same breath? All games we’ve played at BW have been poorly attended and it’s patently obvious on television as well.

No one has mentioned crowds apart from saying that ANZ is too big.

@Cultured_Bogan said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

more money to the club to play there and no one being shut out I’d be all for it.

I doubt ANZ would mean more money to the club as the grounds are operated by the same mob and I would guess they would prefer us to play at BW.

No one here, from what I can tell and I certainly don’t, has any knowledge of what the actual arrangements are. These will go a long way in determining which is the most profitable as a home ground. It could be a no brainer.

And hopefully that decides the issue. Not spiritual, local area, history crap.

G’day ☺ @Furious1: I wonder why it is that soccer can afford to build a stadium at Campbelltown but Our Wests Tigers can not as so many on here are saying. To me, something seems crook in Talarook but it’s a no brainer IMO that We do build a new and exciting stadium .in partnership with the soccer authorities ☺

Football Australia don’t have the money to kick in '63.

Much less a borderline regional startup like Macarthur FC.

• @cochise ☺ : I know full well from what you have written you give all your heart and soul to Our Wests Tigers. And good onya for being that kinda bloke that wants to see Wests Tigers survive so your grandkids can become just as passionate as you are.
    Just one thing though re BankWest Stadium. I doubt Our supporters will ever regard it as Our home ground.
    If plans had been put into place in the ‘initial’ planning stage to involve Us along with Parra as equal partners, then I feel the ‘shared stadium’ would have been a ‘great idea’ and a real goer. But for whatever reason, it appears we weren’t involved so it’s now Parras home turf I’m afraid. I would think they probably look down on us as the poor cousin paying rent to play at their place, so I say stuff em. I feel Our fans are probably used to sharing at A.N.Z though by now. So if I had to choose between BankWest and A.N.Z. my choice has to be A.N.Z. ☺

Recent Topics