Home Ground situation needs to change

• @MAGPIES1963 said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

G’day @TieDye: mate, thanks for the compliment to @cochise and myself.
    I have really enjoyed putting my two bobs worth in, in the short time I have been on this forum ie after @cochise straightened me out [in a nice way though☺ ]. So thanks to you as well @cochise ☺

I actually really enjoy hearing differing opinions and having a robust debate, I am very aware that on a lot of things my beliefs and opinions vary to other people and I am ok with that. I have enjoyed the banter with you @MAGPIES1963

G’day @The_Patriot: WOW!!! what an interesting concept. You can really open up the debate with this one, or did you forget to add a hahaha at the end, cheers ☺

If the options are 3 home grounds in Sydney or 1 home ground in Perth give me Gosford.

G’day @The_Patriot: WOW!!! what an interesting concept. You can really open up the debate with this one, or did you forget to add a hahaha at the end, cheers ☺

It’s an interesting idea and I remember the talk of Balmain moving there in the mid 90’s but I think it fails in just being too far from our ownership base to provide any benefit to Wests Ashfield!

• G’day @Geo: hahaha, or do you have some new top secret information about a new Optus Stadium to be built at Campbelltown? ☺

• @cochise said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

@MAGPIES1963 said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

It’s an interesting idea and I remember the talk of Balmain moving there in the mid 90’s but I think it fails in just being too far from our ownership base to provide any benefit to Wests Ashfield!

Ashfield are going to want us close to the league’s club. So it’s BankWest or ANZ I reckon. I think Ashfield have abandoned the Macarthur.

• ForumSupporter

G’day @Geo: hahaha, or do you have some new top secret information about a new Optus Stadium to be built at Campbelltown? ☺

No…I new shinny one is already built and we would have it to ourselves…

• Thanks @cochise ; you’re a gentleman and I appreciate that ☺

• @Cultured_Bogan said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

Ashfield are going to want us close to the league’s club. So it’s BankWest or ANZ I reckon. I think Ashfield have abandoned the Macarthur.

I think you may be right to a certain extent The Wests Tigers have increased their involvement in the Macarthur junior league!

• Ok @Geo: you’ve got me, but where is it? Perth or Adelaide? ☺

• ForumSupporter

Ok @Geo: you’ve got me, but where is it? Perth or Adelaide? ☺

NSW demolished QLD there…

• I’ve got a feeling you are spot on @cochise. I guess there wouldn’t be much difference between Ashfield to Campbelltown as compared to Ashfield to Gosford. Cheers mate ☺

• Perth is a bloody long way to walk @Geo ☺ Although the fact I drove buses for State Transit in Sydney for so many years, I would be entitled to a discount fare on the Indian Pacific 1st class ✌ ☺ .

• @The_Patriot said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

Love the idea of Bankwest but i think id love Gosford even more

Have only been there once and only for my young bloke to play, but it had a really warm atmosphere, even though it was a chooks v cows match. It really pains me to to see the chooks sticking their beeks in all over the central coast, particularly as it has a great demographic for the code.

• @Harvey said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

@Snake said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

@Harvey And you know why ! because the realisation has hit home that there is a state of the art facility that threatens what for so long has been the norm . There has been absolutely no valid argument why the club should not think seriously about WSS.
    I do not love the ground in any way , having been there three times only fools think that this arena has not got something to offer covering all aspects for all stake holders .
    Believe me ANZ is my preference for travelling but I hate the place because of the non existent atmosphere with club games … WSS stadium is here and many do not like the reality of it !

Does “state of the art” equate to the last stadium built?

I have only been to one game there, and avoided the leagues club, parking or anything else that put my cash into eels hands.

Can you spell out in simple terms what is so great about the stadium? The angle of the grandstand is brilliant in terms of being close to the action and having a view, but having one side of the field off limits to fans is poor architecture.

Rather than state of the art, my view is that the stadium appears to be slapped together in the shortest timeframe available, based on besa blocks and pre fab concrete, by the same building firms that are responsible for cheap and nasty apartment blocks that currently require millions of dollars worth of remedial work.

I agree with this sentiment. I really like Bankwest stadium, but it’s just a stadium, nothing special. I also hate the exclusive cut off corporate area (which is always empty at our matches) and I don’t like that the players tunnel is on that side. Leichhardt over that any day without a second thought. I’m surprised so many of us don’t mind the idea of playing away from our home grounds.

Do you all prefer the game days at Bankwest and ANZ? If not, why are we settling for it as an option when other clubs haven’t? Manly and Cronulla have won premierships in the last 8 years playing at small local stadiums, it doesn’t prevent clubs being successful (I would argue it has a positive impact).

I also don’t agree that playing at the small grounds makes us more likely to be moved to Perth. If anything, playing at generic grounds and losing our connection to our local communities is going to make a move away even easier.

People say that revenue is higher because corporate boxes are more appealing due to more big events, but we would only be getting a tiny share of that revenue and I think whatever we earn from our corporate boxes at leichhardt and Campbelltown would at least go some way to creating income for the club. This would be especially true if we bothered to play at these venues more. It becomes even more likely if we have success on the field and are able to charge more because of the appeal of our team. And I think we become more successful by playing more at these grounds.

I support the Tigers because of my memories of the club, memories of leichhardt, connection between the old and the new. I don’t like new jerseys every year, silly American logos and big generic stadiums. If the traditional grounds are rough around the edges that only adds to the uniqueness of the places. And people love going to those grounds, so I don’t agree that we need to move from these grounds. I think providing a unique game day experience actually makes people more likely to go to games not less, Bankwest has steep seating but no distinct character or anything particularly appealing about it. If we were averaging 20 000 a match, I’d have a totally different perspective, but we don’t and it’s not likely to happen soon.

Anyway, that’s just my opinion. I’m just surprised more people don’t agree.

• @watersider said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

@Harvey said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

@Snake said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

@Harvey And you know why ! because the realisation has hit home that there is a state of the art facility that threatens what for so long has been the norm . There has been absolutely no valid argument why the club should not think seriously about WSS.
    I do not love the ground in any way , having been there three times only fools think that this arena has not got something to offer covering all aspects for all stake holders .
    Believe me ANZ is my preference for travelling but I hate the place because of the non existent atmosphere with club games … WSS stadium is here and many do not like the reality of it !

Does “state of the art” equate to the last stadium built?

I have only been to one game there, and avoided the leagues club, parking or anything else that put my cash into eels hands.

Can you spell out in simple terms what is so great about the stadium? The angle of the grandstand is brilliant in terms of being close to the action and having a view, but having one side of the field off limits to fans is poor architecture.

Rather than state of the art, my view is that the stadium appears to be slapped together in the shortest timeframe available, based on besa blocks and pre fab concrete, by the same building firms that are responsible for cheap and nasty apartment blocks that currently require millions of dollars worth of remedial work.

I agree with this sentiment. I really like Bankwest stadium, but it’s just a stadium, nothing special. I also hate the exclusive cut off corporate area (which is always empty at our matches) and I don’t like that the players tunnel is on that side. Leichhardt over that any day without a second thought. I’m surprised so many of us don’t mind the idea of playing away from our home grounds.

Do you all prefer the game days at Bankwest and ANZ? If not, why are we settling for it as an option when other clubs haven’t? Manly and Cronulla have won premierships in the last 8 years playing at small local stadiums, it doesn’t prevent clubs being successful (I would argue it has a positive impact).

I also don’t agree that playing at the small grounds makes us more likely to be moved to Perth. If anything, playing at generic grounds and losing our connection to our local communities is going to make a move away even easier.

People say that revenue is higher because corporate boxes are more appealing due to more big events, but we would only be getting a tiny share of that revenue and I think whatever we earn from our corporate boxes at leichhardt and Campbelltown would at least go some way to creating income for the clubs. This would be especially true if we bothered to play at these venues more. It becomes even more likely if we have success on the field and are able to charge more because of the appeal of our team. And I think we become more successful by playing more at these grounds.

I support the Tigers because of my memories of the club, memories of leichhardt, connection between the old and the new. I don’t like new jerseys every year, silly American logos and big generic stadiums. If the traditional grounds are rough around the edges that only adds to the uniqueness of the places. And people love going to those grounds, so I don’t agree that we need to move from these grounds. I think providing a unique game day experience actually makes people more likely to go to games not less, Bankwest has steep seating but no distinct character or anything particularly appealing about it. If we were averaging 20 000 a match, I’d have a totally different perspective, but we don’t and it’s not likely to happen soon.

Anyway, that’s just my opinion. I’m just surprised more people don’t agree.

Mate! Could not agree more - NRL can shove those big stadiums as far as I am concerned. Give me the local grounds any day.

Recent Topics