Home Ground situation needs to change

• @diedpretty said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

@gallagher said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

@diedpretty said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

@NJLM78 said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

Why do other clubs like Manly, Sharks and Dragons all manage playing on their traditional home grounds, yet we are told we can’t afford to do this. Bankwest is not a home ground. The past 3 games there have been owned by the opposition supporters. On Friday night the Tigers members seating area was filled with Roosters fans. This week will be even worse. We have six home games a year now. The 3 at Leichhardt and Campbelltown. The rest can all be considered away games.

Do you see those clubs as the benchmark NRL clubs?

probably not - but of the benchmarks only melbourne has a stable home ground. I would hardly call the SCG an NRL standard ground. As we are a sydney team you can really only compare us to other sydney teams. parra are the big winners in being gifted a taxpayer funded stadium. the rest of the sydney clubs play out suburban grounds or AFL monstrosities.

In a few years there will be 3 modern rectangular stadiums available. I’ll bet you now that when sydney clubs relocate or die it will be a club playing out of the suburban grounds.

Or playing at 4 home grounds a year - of course if they moved a sydney club they would be from a suburban ground. realistically the only candidates are us, manly, saints and cronulla. the other have too much power and say on what happens.

The others have money, they dont bleed money by playing at suburban grounds.

• @Harvey said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

Why do other clubs like Manly, Sharks and Dragons all manage playing on their traditional home grounds, yet we are told we can’t afford to do this. Bankwest is not a home ground. The past 3 games there have been owned by the opposition supporters. On Friday night the Tigers members seating area was filled with Roosters fans. This week will be even worse. We have six home games a year now. The 3 at Leichhardt and Campbelltown. The rest can all be considered away games.

probably not - but of the benchmarks only melbourne has a stable home ground. I would hardly call the SCG an NRL standard ground. As we are a sydney team you can really only compare us to other sydney teams. parra are the big winners in being gifted a taxpayer funded stadium. the rest of the sydney clubs play out suburban grounds or AFL monstrosities.

In a few years there will be 3 modern rectangular stadiums available. I’ll bet you now that when sydney clubs relocate or die it will be a club playing out of the suburban grounds.

Or playing at 4 home grounds a year - of course if they moved a sydney club they would be from a suburban ground. realistically the only candidates are us, manly, saints and cronulla. the other have too much power and say on what happens.

Is Penrith not a suburban ground?

Plans afoot to redevelop Campbelltown into an 18,000 all seater as part of the successful A-league bid. https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/south-west-sydney-bid-s-dream-arena-unveiled

Yep Penrith is a suburban ground but they are one of the teams with clout and will be going nowhere.

• Hmmm, super tricky one. The perennial problem for the Tigers. To be honest, can’t see a solution until the redevelopment of ANZ is complete. I’d love for it to be Campbelltown and Leichhardt, but some investment would be needed to reduce our game day expenses and make it profitable (a permanent big screen at Leichhardt would go a long way for that to happen). THough I can’t see any investment going Leichhardt’s way under the current state gov, they’re pretty focused on the mega stadium strategy. Campbelltown is a different story - if the A-league bid for Macarthur region got up it would involve a redevelopment that would obviously benefit us greatly. But yeah, unfortunately, I think it’s a bit of a wait and see what happens situation.

Also wouldn’t like to see us make Bankwest our permanent home - it’s smack bang in the middle of parramatta - will never feel like home.

• @gallagher said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

And they are not making it by playing at the scg. Bulldogs - wealthy leagues club backing, rorters and souffs - wealthy backers, penrith - wealthy leagues club, parra - gifted a stadium and wealthy leagues club

• also i’m not quite sure what the argument with me is - i have said all along i want one homeground - either bankwest or revamped anz with maybe one game each at Lo and CSS. Dump the country game.

• @diedpretty said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

And they are not making it by playing at the scg. Bulldogs - wealthy leagues club backing, rorters and souffs - wealthy backers, penrith - wealthy leagues club, parra - gifted a stadium and wealthy leagues club

They’re only at the scg temporarily. I thought this was a discussion but if you think it’s an argument I’ll stop.

• @Harvey said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

Plans afoot to redevelop Campbelltown into an 18,000 all seater as part of the successful A-league bid. https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/south-west-sydney-bid-s-dream-arena-unveiled

Wow. Sounds eerily similar to a suggestion I made here sometime ago. Only difference is I suggested residential units and a different developer… cough…Meriton…cough. Ah well it’s a shame we can’t go in with them and contribute to get the stadium up to 25000 or so.

• I feel as though we’ve had this discussion several times before… Bankwest is a stopgap until ANZ is ready. That’s the future really. 8/2/2 is probably where it’ll end up.

• @Furious1 said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

@Harvey said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

Wow. Sounds eerily similar to a suggestion I made here sometime ago. Only difference is I suggested residential units and a different developer… cough…Meriton…cough. Ah well it’s a shame we can’t go in with them and contribute to get the stadium up to 25000 or so.

If anyone thinks harry is the solution, they have to ask another question. Why has he not been to now?

• You asked a question.:

Why are we moving away from them?

… Then stated…

And I don’t really like going out there (Cambo) , nor do many fans from the Balmain side,

Conclusion;

We have had. Too. Many choices for 15 years… This is a. Club trying to. Keep everyone happy while avoiding to. Make a. Tough. Decisions… 50/50 never worked… Wests now running the show. And. Still. Trying to. Appease all.

ONE HOME GROUND… WESTmead Stadium!

• @Yossarian said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

I feel as though we’ve had this discussion several times before… Bankwest is a stopgap until ANZ is ready. That’s the future really. 8/2/2 is probably where it’ll end up.

Yes I think that will be the best deal for us to go forward.
    We are locked into inner city through our new training facility centre at Concord. So we can talk all we like but ANZ is the nearest thing to our old traditional Magpies Tigers roots.
    Campbeltown is a nice thought but more and more I think we are just not serious to commit and Wests Magpies have opted not to be part of our planning process so …

• @diedpretty sounds like Cochise mightn’t be the ‘chief’ after all… hopefully our big boys in their big boy pants upstairs can sort it out before going on holidays this off-season!!

• @Yossarian ANZ. would be great for us as it is the easiest and fastest stadium to get to. My question is every body complains about no atmosphere in an 80k stadium for 8 to 15 k club games . The refurbishment will not do all that much actually so it is still a cavernous monolith no atmosphere stadium so I am at odds the reason why the club would go there … it is after all in the Parramatta LGA …

• Let’s just play 24 away games every season

Rebadge ourselves as the the Nomads

• @happy_tiger said in Home Ground situation needs to change:

Let’s just play 24 away games every season

Rebadge ourselves as the the Nomads

Maybe we could even finish John ribots vision. A game in Beijing another in Hong Kong…time for this club to think big. We could be the super duper rugby league team

Recent Topics