Canterbury Cup Team Announcement: Round 17

• Western Suburbs Magpies Canterbury Cup Coach Brett Hodgson has named his side to take on the Wentworthville Magpies this Sunday for their Round 17 clash at Bankwest Stadium.
    Kickoff for the match is at 1:50pm AEST with the match taking place as a curtain-raiser to the NRL fixture between Wests Tigers and Parramatta on the day.
    After a last-start loss to the North Sydney Bears on Sunday, Hodgson has named a new-look halves combination for this week’s game with youngster Max Burey slotting in at five-eighth alongside 2019 Development Player Jock Madden.

Watson Heleta starts at fullback with Dylan Smith back on the bench, while Tommy Talau and Alex Seyfarth return from their NSW U/20’s commitments to join the side.
    After a long lay-off, Russell Packer has been named at prop to make his return from injury with Luke Garner named in the back row and will captain the side.

WESTERN SUBURBS MAGPIES

1. Watson Heleta
    2. Harry O’Toole
    3. Tommy Talau
    4. Kane McQuiggin
    5. Kane Bradley
    6. Max Burey
    7. Jock Madden
    8. Russell Packer
    9. Soni Luke
    10. Patrice Siolo
    11. Luke Garner (capt.)
    12. Sam McIntyre
    13. Alex Seyfarth
      Interchange:
    14. Dylan Smith
    15. Elia Faatui
    16. Jack Miller
    17. Ray Jankovic
    18. Dylan Clifford
    19. Bilal Maarbani
      Coach: Brett Hodgson

• WHY. was Smith dropped?

If he can’t beat out 1 and 2 for a reggies team this bad, then what future in the NRLcluld he possibly have?

• wheres the 1/2 back we had at the start of the year, is he injured or did we let him go too.

• @ElleryHanley hes just not big enought, good for cc grade but will never play 1st grade.

• @ElleryHanley From what I see of him … he is no long term solution to our ongoing backline problems. He will be lucky to survive the end year cull.

• @ElleryHanley said in Canterbury Cup Team Announcement: Round 17:

WHY. was Smith dropped?

If he can’t beat out 1 and 2 for a reggies team this bad, then what future in the NRLcluld he possibly have?

If I remember correctly he was injured two matches ago.

• How on earth do mcGuiggana nd O’Toole keep their spots int he team? They are way out of their league. The fact our second leading try scorer, and one of our better backs is repeatedly on the bench/dropped (Maarbani) in favour of them is insulting. Hodgson’s team lists have been very poor. He really does seem to be a hopeless coach.

Smith must start, done nothing wrong and been very solid past few weeks. heleta offers nothing but should get a spot over one of the plodders i mentioned above.

Hopefully with Reynolds, Momirovski and Clark this team can perform better.

• Smith dropped? Look I dont think the guy is a longterm first grade option but at least he’s a natural fullback who has shown he is safe. He’s certainly good at this level

Either way this team sucks and 90% of them need to be moved on

• Thanks for the replies re Smith fellas…

Seems he is not up to it, so another prospect wasting time. Watson Heleta has been in regggies seeminingly FOREVER and was never going to make it also.

If they are not up to it, it is time we just move them along quickly. Reggies needs to be a place where guys are being groomed for firsts, not just wasting time.

Look at the Storm and Chooks. All their reggies come in and look like firsts.

• @bptiger said in Canterbury Cup Team Announcement: Round 17:

wheres the 1/2 back we had at the start of the year, is he injured or did we let him go too.

You mean Gamble?

• ForumSupporter

@Yossarian said in Canterbury Cup Team Announcement: Round 17:

@bptiger said in Canterbury Cup Team Announcement: Round 17:

wheres the 1/2 back we had at the start of the year, is he injured or did we let him go too.

You mean Gamble?

I think he means Kauri Aupouri

• @momo_amp_medo I agree with this. I don’t think he’s got a big future. He’ll be lucky to play ten NRL games

• @balmain-boy Agreed. Jennings could be out with a reshuffle.

• Concern has always been his lack of speed, positionally good, and there is some concern when he comes into the line his tempo at times is poor. I don’t think though he should not be dropped from this side, he could at least be on otoole’s wing if they are going to move him. Surprised youngCini didn’t get a bench spot, and maybe they will use Dillon at fullback in a few rounds time when he returns from foot injury, who knows, I agree with Balmain boy, give them a run, see where there really at in terms of there development

• @Geo yes him thought he had a longer surname.

Recent Topics