Canterbury Cup Team Announcement: Round 18

• Jock played a lot better than last week. Big call making him captain.

• @ALX22 said in Canterbury Cup Team Announcement: Round 18:

@TheDaBoss said in Canterbury Cup Team Announcement: Round 18:

Can we snag tristan sailor from the saints? He has speed

Yes, will be available as only contracted to the end of 2019 season.
    https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/23/2019-nrl-signings-player-transfers-and-contracts/

Sounds like a big head like his dad… but half as big.

• @diedpretty said in Canterbury Cup Team Announcement: Round 18:

@Jimmy said in Canterbury Cup Team Announcement: Round 18:

@WT2K
    Again qld only sad face

Try a vpn and base yourself in sydney.

You can also download the freeview app, turn off your location on your phone then enter a Sydney postcode when prompted.

• Surprise Surprise …whose 9th I wonder

• Geez this team is rubbish. Don’t think they’ve played 80 mins all season.

Good first half. Madden was very good. Talau made a nice jink to score. Second half was the sort of dire football you come to expect from the magpies. Shocking, yet still should have won.

Smith - more involved than any other game. Good first half, fairly anonymous second, but he wasn’t alone there. Was sniffing around the middle in support all game.

Bradley - ignored all game once again. Baffling to have a 190cn+ winger and not kick to him once all game. He hasn’t been passed or kicked the ball once in 2 weeks, he only takes hitups. Needs more muscle to have more impact.

Heleta - ok. Ran hard a few times. Matt utai like performance.

Talau. Great try, but fairly quiet otherwise. Needs to work on his defence.

Jennings. Plodder McPlodface. Just a lazy rubbish player. Weak hit ups, poor defence and just plays like he doesn’t give a crap. Didn’t remotely stand out at this level.

Burey - not bad, not good. Fairly anonymous. Didn’t do anything except ignore taking a field goal twice.

Madden - strong game. Better kicker than anyone at the club. Great cut-out ball to put talau over too. Did concede a few tries but if we leave a halfback one on one with a rampaging forward on the line he’s going to concede. Missed the field goals at the death but should have taken it earlier.

Packer - decent game. Tried to pass or offload a lot, needs to just run hard and play the ball fast, but he’s ok. Leader is f this pack that’s for sure.

Luke - mixed game, scored one and another assist but also took a lot of wrong options. Didn’t get madden the ball in the set we were in their line. Kept giving it to forwards to take awful hitups.

Clark - ok, scored one but in the end he’s a worker, and we already have plenty so should only play firsts if we have injuries.

McQueen - awful. Atrocious. Pathetic. Simply shouldn’t be in the field, he’s such a liability. Errors, penalties and brain explosions. Just cut him now.

Rochow - tries hard, I’m give him that, but he’s the most useless player I’ve ever seen. What kind of a back rower averages 4m a hit up? Probably took 30 hitups but don’t think he got 100m. Bin him and give someone else a go. They can’t possibly be worse.

Miller - invisible. Literally didn’t see him do anything all game. A few 5m hitups and a disallowed try at the end. Not good enough

Siolo - ran hard, made almost 100m in the first half after coming off the bench after 20., quiet in the second half

Jankovic - played lock when he came on. Largely invisible, one good run late on.

Mcguiggan - lasted 5 mins before pulling his hammy

Faatuli - weak and slow. Useless prop.

Sailor was excellent die the dragons I’d throw a wad of cash at him but his dad will never let him play for us.

The dragons pack monstered ours. Defies belief that we don’t have anyone remotely close to the likes of host, Kerr, big drago etc. Everyone in their pack was big and ran hard. It’s not rocket science recruitment. We just either don’t sign players or sign slow or weak ones.

Cini should play next week. There must be a back rower somewhere who can play. Given our weaknesses in the back row in the nrl it’s astonishing that we don’t have a single good back row prospect at the club. An obvious weakness for years yet we didn’t target any recruits in this position. At all. In Flegg or CC. Pathetic

• Good summary Balmain boy, madden I think is getting slightly better but his defence needs plenty work and he will get better at it, as he matures and gets stronger, only thing that concerns me is if you watched him in the juniors he has been horrible in defence for years and it has been brushed over, similar to cogger from bulldogs. and when you cant hold your own space as you go up in level you put massive amounts of pressure on the 2 and 4 man, and they start making poor dceisions because they know the 3 man cant tackle. Anyway hope he gets better. agree with cini moving up and not sure what’s doing the the development of Bradley, his whole junior career he played 6 or 7, and then he went to the dragons and played a couple of years at edge back row like a shaun lane type player, now we ae attempting to turn him into corey oates, doesn’t really have a step and never really had a step through juniors, big unit but the old time time hitters would be pushing themselves out of the way to launch themselves and snap him with his up right carries, my advise to Bradley get the elbow up just like jwh, start slamming into some blokes sternum,s and throats while carrying the ball, especially if we continue with him on the wing where back 5 carry the ball every set coming out of our red zone.

• @fred Not really sure on what to make of Henry. Think he has talent but we’d just like to see more of it.

• Brooks can teach Madden how to defend.

• @fred I’d certainly like to see madden get the ball out wide to his outside backs more. He did throw that nice ball to Talau but he doesn’t do it often or early enough still. To be fair it’s not as if he has a lightning winger to be aiming for. His defense is like most young halves. He hasn’t had a full off season before so hopefully he can put on a few kgs this summer to help with his contact. He doesn’t shy away from defense which is good, he just can’t get the big guys down often enough. I see similarities with Brooks.

Henry has had a few injuries this season. He may be playing injured still. Hasn’t hit his straps. Another one that will benefit from a full off season (also think he hasn’t been as good since he chopped his hair off - should grow it back!)

Cini will offer far more than Heleta can. Heleta will never play first grade, not sure why we persist with him.

Bradley needs to fill out. He’s too lean for his height, obviously a kid who just kept growing.

A lot of our boys need to put on another 3-4 kgs - Talau, Cini, Madden, Garner

• @Madge said in Canterbury Cup Team Announcement: Round 18:

Brooks can teach Madden how to defend.

Can we afford to wait 5 years for that?

• @cktiger brooks learnt it in one off season lol don’t think he learnt it over the 5 years because over 80 percent of the time he was shocking in defence. It wasn’t till 2018 where his defence was great. 2017 was probably his worst defensive year.

• @Madge said in Canterbury Cup Team Announcement: Round 18:

@cktiger brooks learnt it in one off season lol don’t think he learnt it over the 5 years because over 80 percent of the time he was shocking in defence.

I think it was more the case that he matured and had plenty of games under his belt giving him more confidence.
    Wish he’d also apply it to his running game more often.

• Cini will offer far more than Heleta can. Heleta will never play first grade, not sure why we persist with him.

In Heleta’s defence, I think he is in just a part time contract this year and has been playing to cover backline spots available since nofa/momo have moved up. And he is still probably been the best performing of the back five bar some moments from Talau.

• He’s been on a part time contract for at least 2 years now. He’ll never play first grade. Other clubs have players on part time contracts too but they should all be players with the potential to play first grade. We can’t afford to have a position we’re very weak in being filled by players with no potential. Part time experienced career bench forwards are ok. Players like heleta stop us from signing other clubs promising centres to play his role

• @balmain-boy said in Canterbury Cup Team Announcement: Round 18:

@fred I’d certainly like to see madden get the ball out wide to his outside backs more. He did throw that nice ball to Talau but he doesn’t do it often or early enough still. To be fair it’s not as if he has a lightning winger to be aiming for. His defense is like most young halves. He hasn’t had a full off season before so hopefully he can put on a few kgs this summer to help with his contact. He doesn’t shy away from defense which is good, he just can’t get the big guys down often enough. I see similarities with Brooks.

Henry has had a few injuries this season. He may be playing injured still. Hasn’t hit his straps. Another one that will benefit from a full off season (also think he hasn’t been as good since he chopped his hair off - should grow it back!)

Cini will offer far more than Heleta can. Heleta will never play first grade, not sure why we persist with him.

Bradley needs to fill out. He’s too lean for his height, obviously a kid who just kept growing.

A lot of our boys need to put on another 3-4 kgs - Talau, Cini, Madden, Garner

Very good win by the Jersey Flegg today! Just can’t work them out - great one week awful the next?

Recent Topics