Clarkey's nrl column

• Interesting read

The Wests Tigers finished the 2018 season in ninth place, just short of featuring in finals football. They came into the 2019 season with premiership winning coach Michael Maguire and the hope of playing past September.
    _
    Last year they finished with 12 wins outside the top 8, with the next club (Warriors) on 15 wins. At round 18 of the 2019 season, they sit 11th place with 7 wins.
    _
    It is clear the Tigers have improved drastically since last season however, the results haven’t particularly shown to the extent they would hav3 liked. At this stage I have them missing the finals, although there is some real positive signs for the Concord based club.
    _
    Last season, they ranked last in decoy runs. Their attack was boring & predictable under Ivan Cleary. This was one of the first things Madge worked to improve.
    _
    The Tigers now rank first in the NRL for decoy runs & are clear by more than 100. Decoy runs play a vital part in rugby league. Essentially, it holds the middle defence tight & allows more room outside for the halves & backs to capitalise on without inside pressure.
    _
    The results have translated in this instance. Last year they scored the least amount of tries however, this year they sit in ninth place in that department. That’s a pretty handy improvement as far as offence is concerned.
    _
    Defensively, they have also significantly improved. Last year they ranked first for missed tackles with an average of 38 per game. This season they sit dead last for missed tackles on only 21 missed per game.
    _
    They have literally gone from seemingly the worst defensive team, to the best as far as statistics show us.

When you combine those factors together the question must be asked, why haven’t these results impacted their ladder position?

• Simple. The ladder position hasn’t improved because Wests tigers have been playing an unusually high number of top 8 teams this season.

• ForumSupporter

I would say that on occasion the opposition statistically scored more points than us…ranking them with a W in the win column and resulting in a L for the Wests Tigers therefore having a negative effect on our ladder position…

• Conversion Goal Kicking!

• Goal kicking and last year we won the majority of very close games this year it’s about 40/60.

But I do think we have made big steps in the right directions, although I am not sure the current team has to many step left in them without some decent recruitment

• @hodgo said in Clarkey's nrl column:

Defensively, they have also significantly improved. Last year they ranked first for missed tackles with an average of 38 per game. This season they sit dead last for missed tackles on only 21 missed per game.

Silly selective analysis by the writer. Defensively we averaged 17.78 points conceded per game 2018 and 20.18 points per game in 2019.

Say what you will about the style of defence or missed tackles, we are 3 points worse per game under Madge so far. I cannot think of any better measure of defence than points conceded. Who cares how many missed tackles there are if you don’t concede points… the only neg I can think of is energy wasted in scrambling D which might affect your attack.

What is REALLY interesting is that 2018 was our best defensive season ever as Wests Tigers, shading 2011 (17.78 vs 17.92). Next best was 2009 with 20.13 points, so quite a jump. 2019 is therefore running a close 4th.

• @jirskyr said in Clarkey's nrl column:

@hodgo said in Clarkey's nrl column:

Silly selective analysis by the writer. Defensively we averaged 17.78 points conceded per game 2018 and 20.18 points per game in 2019.

Say what you will about the style of defence or missed tackles, we are 3 points worse per game under Madge so far. I cannot think of any better measure of defence than points conceded. Who cares how many missed tackles there are if you don’t concede points… the only neg I can think of is energy wasted in scrambling D which might affect your attack.

What is REALLY interesting is that 2018 was our best defensive season ever as Wests Tigers, shading 2011 (17.78 vs 17.92). Next best was 2009 with 20.13 points, so quite a jump. 2019 is therefore running a close 4th.

It’s not just energy wasted, it’s energy conserved for defence as well. Middle forwards not taking as many hit ups because they’re prioritising defence. That crippled our attack last season, we just weren’t applying enough pressure up the middle to create gaps on the edges or space around the ruck.

• inconsistency, when we’ve been bad, we’ve been super bad like bulldogs/raiders/eels/roosters games

for 10 years, it’s been one step forward, 2 steps back. last year, there wasn’t a big difference between our best/worst games, this year there is daylight.

• @Geo said in Clarkey's nrl column:

I would say that on occasion the opposition statistically scored more points than us…ranking them with a W in the win column and resulting in a L for the Wests Tigers therefore having a negative effect on our ladder position…

I totally disagree …we have scored less points than the opposition on particular weeks which has resulted in more losses than wins which has had a positive effect on everyone else’s ladder position than ours

Recent Topics