Tigers tell Reynolds he's free to find a new club

• Tigers tell Reynolds he’s free to find a new club

Author
    Michael Chammas
    Chief Reporter
    Timestamp
    Wed 17 Jul 2019, 07:26 PM
    Michael Chammas

The Wests Tigers have told Josh Reynolds he is free to find a new home in 2020, granting the five-eighth permission to negotiate with rival clubs.

NRL.com can reveal Tigers coach Michael Maguire recently arranged a heart-to-heart with Reynolds to discuss the 30-year-old’s future beyond the end of this year, opening the door for him to depart at season’s end.

The meeting came after veteran playmaker Benji Marshall strongly indicated to the club that he will run around again in 2020.

The Tigers have a lot of admiration for Reynolds, who has been stuck in reserve grade behind Marshall for most of 2019, and don’t want to stand in his way of a regular NRL spot at this stage in his career.

Reynolds, who joined the Tigers from the Bulldogs last season, still has another two-and-a-bit years to run on his deal but showed in his brief stint in the NRL this year that he still has plenty to offer.

The Tigers don’t want to force him out of the club and have told Reynolds he will be given every opportunity to reclaim his position in the NRL side, however it seems unlikely he will be the club’s first choice No.6 next season.

NRL.com understands the Tigers are willing to pay a large chunk of his salary, which will not only help Reynolds find a new home, but also free up space in the salary cap to ensure they can lure new players to the club.

Wests Tigers utility Josh Reynolds.
    Wests Tigers utility Josh Reynolds.
    ©Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
    Given his predicament, Reynolds could have asked for a release to join another club before June 30, however his commitment to the Tigers hasn’t wavered and he hasn’t kicked stones despite having to play Canterbury Cup NSW.

The Tigers didn’t engage in any pre-June 30 discussions because they were waiting to see whether Marshall wanted to play on before deciding what to do with Reynolds.

However given Marshall’s recent desire to continue, the club doesn’t see the point in having such a highly-paid player like Reynolds as a back-up option.

Reynolds, whose versatility also makes him a handy bench option as well as a starting half, is renowned for his energy and effort, and would be an asset to many sides both on and off the field.

Injuries and selection – or lack thereof – have limited the former NSW State of Origin five-eighth to just nine games for the Tigers in two seasons.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/17/tigers-tell-reynolds-hes-free-to-find-a-new-club/

• Yeah… I’m picturing Pascoe staring at the phone a la Homer Simpson playing the waiting game.

• Someone may take him but we are paying at least $400k.

I can only see 1-2 clubs possibly interested.

• ForumSupporter

Guess the boil is still not on the mend…

• Why would any club take him. His body is done.

• @Yossarian said in Tigers tell Reynolds he's free to find a new club:

Yeah… I’m picturing Pascoe staring at the phone a la Homer Simpson playing the waiting game.

Im sick of playing the waiting game. Let’s play hungry hungry hippos.

• Playing State Cup?

He has played about 50 mins of it.

Nice work for 800K.

• There’s one of two scenarios that happen. Greg Eastwood took 800k and played reserve grade for the remainder of his contract.
    Or Mbye Dogs agreed to pay 200k x 2 years and the Tigers met the difference.

The hope is say the Tigers say we will pay 400k and another club is happy to pay 300k. Reynolds then makes a decision to play reserve grade for 800k or take 700k and play for another clubs

• I’m glad that the club is getting the broom out and trying to rid it’s self of these over payed has beens.

• @mike said in Tigers tell Reynolds he's free to find a new club:

Why would any club take him. His body is done.

Ivan should take him …
    We get Maloney …
    Benji retires !

• @hobbo1 said in Tigers tell Reynolds he's free to find a new club:

@mike said in Tigers tell Reynolds he's free to find a new club:

Why would any club take him. His body is done.

Ivan should take him …
    We get Maloney …
    Benji retires !

I could handle that. Maloney is full of mistakes though, I could just imagine the drubbing he would get on here after a couple of losses. Rocks and Diamonds they’d shout.

• Benji made a comment last week that Jock Madden was the bloke to take his job. This week Madge states he wants Benji to go around again and Reynolds is free to negotiate with other clubs. It’s the right move Reynolds is an ideal 14 at a lot of clubs at the right price.

For 300k he’s a smart buy for leadership and energy off the bench. It would prolong his career.
    The bad news is if we are paying 400k or 500k you are not going to make a drastic difference to the cap position.

• What about the Dogs - maybe they would take him back. If they are to pay $200K next year for him to play with us, then maybe there is a deal to be made for 2 years. We pay $400K per year and for 2020 he only costs them an extra $200K to have him. Of any club I cant think who would want him more than them (wishful thinking maybe!!).

• Reports are saying a return to Belmore is possible but I feel like he will go the Gold Coast…don’t know why

• @TigerSJ said in Tigers tell Reynolds he's free to find a new club:

What about the Dogs - maybe they would take him back. If they are to pay $200K next year for him to play with us, then maybe there is a deal to be made for 2 years. We pay $400K per year and for 2020 he only costs them an extra $200K to have him. Of any club I cant think who would want him more than them (wishful thinking maybe!!).

Why would any club in their right mind take back an old player (or 2) just because they are club legends - that would have fans (especially forum fans) going nuts… 😀

PS - just for the record I hope we extend our club legend for 1 more year.

Recent Topics