Luck

• Anyone got a spare 4 leaf clover they can lend to the boys

Because it is something that we lack severly

We r obviously cursed… every other nrl team has some sort of luck in every game… but us… nah

• @TheDaBoss Some say “you make your luck”.

• @TheDaBoss said in Luck:

Anyone got a spare 4 leaf clover they can lend to the boys

Because it is something that we lack severly

We r obviously cursed… every other nrl team has some sort of luck in every game… but us… nah

alt text

• @Newtown said in Luck:

@TheDaBoss Some say “you make your luck”.

I have a different idea - that in league you need to perform at a level that takes luck out of the equation. I.e. you don’t “become lucky”, you just nullify whatever luck the opposition has.

For example, Melbourne Storm 2019 are conceding an average 12.76 points per game. They are about 30 points ahead of Raiders and 30 again to the 3rd and 4th teams. Tigers managed to score 22 in Round 10, which is still the biggest tally conceded by Storm all season.

The Storm basically take luck out of the equation. If something lucky happens for the opposition, they defend it and the event becomes nullified.

It becomes irrelevant whether or not teams get “lucky bounce” or “rub of green” over a full season of football if you limit them to 2 converted tries per match - you are guaranteed finals football with that type of defensive record.

• @jirskyr said in Luck:

@Newtown said in Luck:

I have a different idea - that in league you need to perform at a level that takes luck out of the equation. I.e. you don’t “become lucky”, you just nullify whatever luck the opposition has.

For example, Melbourne Storm 2019 are conceding an average 12.76 points per game. They are about 30 points ahead of Raiders and 30 again to the 3rd and 4th teams. Tigers managed to score 22 in Round 10, which is still the biggest tally conceded by Storm all season.

The Storm basically take luck out of the equation. If something lucky happens for the opposition, they defend it and the event becomes nullified.

It becomes irrelevant whether or not teams get “lucky bounce” or “rub of green” over a full season of football if you limit them to 2 converted tries per match - you are guaranteed finals football with that type of defensive record.

Good comment. I actually think luck plays quite a big role in the game and I don’t think it “evens out” over 80 minutes. I should say I’m including things as lucky that probably strictly aren’t - things like simple errors you’d never expect a player to make or miracle plays that wouldn’t come off 90% of the time. Most 40/20 kicks need some element of luck - a good bounce or whatever - for instance.

What good teams have is players that can do things above and beyond what’s normally possible. A Kalyn Ponga or Tom Trbojevic can put on a play that takes luck out of the game.

What the really good teams do on top of that is make the right decisions much more often. They put themselves in positions where they don’t need to be lucky to win. Look at the Storm yesterday: they were 12 points down inside 10 minutes and part of that was a freak play - Cam Smith passing to no-one on half-way an thus giving away a free try under the posts. He wouldn’t have done that more than a couple of times in 401 games. But they carried on playing as they normally do, absorbed the bad luck and put themselves in position to get some of their own.

I actually think this is what good coaching can do. The Tigers’ roster is, if we’re absolutely honest, a spoon contender, The fact that we’re closer to the eight than the bottom of the ladder (though I wouldn’t count on the season ending that way) is mostly because our coach has us playing in a way that gives us a chance to win against sides with more talent. Ultimately, we’re going to need more talent to compete with the really good sides on a consistent basis but it should be enough to keep us ahead of dross like the Titans and Bulldogs (for the time being).

All we can do, really, is hope that there’s always a couple of badly run sides to give us a cushion at the bottom until we have the wherewithal (through our own production line and external signings) to compete on talent.

• @jirskyr said in Luck:

@Newtown said in Luck:

Again that all comes down to that 80 minute performance

• Certainly luck plays a big part in all sports, just ask the kiwi cricket side. Although IMO good sides have the ability to absorb bad luck most of the time. We get one bad call and it costs a game, the Storm get three bad calls and it doesn’t rate a mention because they win the game.

We are a team that needs basically everything to go right to be competing against the better sides because we do not have the quality to bounce back.

• @supercoach said in Luck:

Certainly luck plays a big part in all sports, just ask the kiwi cricket side. Although IMO good sides have the ability to absorb bad luck most of the time. We get one bad call and it costs a game, the Storm get three bad calls and it doesn’t rate a mention because they win the game.

We are a team that needs basically everything to go right to be competing against the better sides because we do not have the quality to bounce back.

Except storm haven’t had 3 bad calls across three seasons.

• @Tiger_Steve hope the tide turns or im destined for quite the battle with alcoholism

• Every time a ref makea a bogus call against tigers…take 1 shot… u will be hammered by the 40 minute mark

• @TheDaBoss said in Luck:

Every time a ref makea a bogus call against tigers…take 1 shot… u will be hammered by the 40 minute mark

Great drinking game Boss.

• @TieDye said in Luck:

@Tiger_Steve hope the tide turns or im destined for quite the battle with alcoholism

Good luck - I’ve already lost that battle!!

• Former South African golfer Gary Player describes luck best " the harder I work the luckier I get "

Enough said

We’ve had enough luck avoiding spoons …about time this club starts relying on hard work ,more hard work and even more hard work

• @happy_tiger said in Luck:

Former South African golfer Gary Player describes luck best " the harder I work the luckier I get "

Enough said

We’ve had enough luck avoiding spoons …about time this club starts relying on hard work ,more hard work and even more hard work

That’s pretty close to Madge’s mantra, yet some haven’t stopped flogging him already this yr

• @TieDye said in Luck:

@happy_tiger said in Luck:

Former South African golfer Gary Player describes luck best " the harder I work the luckier I get "

Enough said

That’s pretty close to Madge’s mantra, yet some haven’t stopped flogging him already this yr

Well to a degree yes , but if you have issues game day you drag guys and let them feel the cold hard bench for the rest of the game

We’ve had too many performances like this …coach has to take some accountability when the team doesn’t get up for big games

Recent Topics