Phil “I told you so” Gould = #The Walking Contradiction Files 🗂

• I thought It only seemed fitting that the messiah of media manipulation be given his very own forum topic as a running record of the amount of times he blatantly uses his position (platform) in the media to push forward his own/personal agendas.

I’ll get the ball rolling with this one;

He’s scared to leave the house’: Phil Gould launches impassioned defence of Mark Coyne as ARLC deliberates
    02:01
    NRL great Phil Gould has launched an impassioned defence of stood down ARLC commissioner Mark Coyne while his job with the body hangs in the balance.

Coyne’s fate will be decided at a meeting of the ARL Commission next Thursday night after he was arrested in Singapore and held for weeks for launching a diatribe at police when he failed to provide appropriate identification on a night out.

What has perturbed the NRL community however is why the Dragons great failed to report the incident to ARLC when it happened some six weeks ago, a decision he attributed to advice he received on achieving a successful outcome of his case.

Veteran rugby league reporter Danny Weidler revealed there was a sentiment stemming from some areas of the game that “there’s one set of rules for players and another for commissioners”. But a fired-up Gould claimed that was just a “perception portrayed by the media" as he launched a stunning defence of the Maroons great.

“The media hysteria is ridiculous,” Gould started. “It’s the media putting words in peoples’ mouths.”

“They don’t know the facts, they don’t know exactly what happened, they don’t know the ordeal he’s been trough over the past seven weeks. They don’t know how important it was that no one found out in Australia.

“If this media storm that we’ve seen over the last week had have occurred while he was still in Singapore, he’d be in jail today.”

Gould revealed that he had spent time with Coyne since his arrival in Sydney last Thursday and claimed the 51-year-old tried to hand in his resignation twice to ARLC chairman Peter Beattie over the incident but was rebuffed.

“I can tell you because he’s my neighbour, I’ll declare that for you straight away,” Gould said. “He was at my place last night still distraught over this whole thing and the way it’s been portrayed in the media.

“The advice he was receiving the whole time is, if anyone in the media find out this will be terrible for you. If there is any criticism of the Singapore legal system, it will be terrible for you.

“Mark has said on a number of times, the first time he rang Peter Beattie he said ‘this is what has happened to me’…and he said ‘I will have to resign, this will cause some trouble’. And Peter Beattie said ‘No you’re not resigning we’ll deal with this when you get back’.

“The way this is playing out with ‘Oh he can’t be on the commission’ is absolutely ridiculous. He was at my place last night. He’s so shattered. He was scared to leave the house."

Despite his frustrations Gould conceded that he felt Coyne would have to resign come next Thursday because of the Australian “media storm”.

Sharks great Paul Gallen agreed with Gould’s prediction, but highlighted the double-standard that would arise in light of the NRL’s hard-line stance on player behaviour.

“I feel like where its ended up, his position as a commissioner will be untenable because of the public scrutiny,” Gallen said.

“If any player gets in trouble and he doesn’t its going to be untenable for him.”

ARLC chairmman Peter Beattie will meet with the former St George and Queensland great next Monday upon his return from holidays before the independent commission meets three days later.

NRL great stood down

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said he would leave it up to the commission to make a decision despite conceding he was disappointed and surprised by Coyne’s actions.

“I don’t want to get into what-ifs and those sorts of speculations,” Greenberg said.

"I think Mark has made it pretty clear that he’s made an error and that he’s owned that error.

“But ultimately what everyone is looking for is what is the sanction and what does it look like? They’re matters that will be decided by the commission.”

• with AAP

• ForumSupporter

Yeah…I thought that was odd regarding Coyne…1st time I watched that footy show on 9 ad I tell you with Peptide Paul Weedler and Joe EEE…led by Bee sting head…it will be the last…

It was that poor with back slapping hindsight agenda driven drivel…it was actually funny…

• @Geo said in Phil “I told you so” Gould = #The Walking Contradiction Files 🗂:

Yeah…I thought that was odd regarding Coyne…1st time I watched that footy show on 9 ad I tell you with Peptide Paul Weedler and Joe EEE…led by Bee sting head…it will be the last…

It was that poor with back slapping hindsight agenda driven drivel…it was actually funny…

It was absolutely ridiculous that he was aloud to comment on Coyne in the first place, not only are they good mates they also live next door to each other you couldn’t get anymore biased if you tried…

And Phil it doesn’t matter that, in your opinion you think it was such a minor incident…He was in a foreign country where disrespecting authority is frowned upon - he was abusive toward the police which is a no no…It’s a pity that the police in our own country don’t have the same powers to hold people for a couple of weeks for the verbal abuse they cop.

• Mark Coyne is a clean skin , never done a thing wrong as a player

Look at some of the scum that have 2nd ,3rd and 4th chances

• All sweet Greenturd will write him a reference.

• @Russell said in Phil “I told you so” Gould = #The Walking Contradiction Files 🗂:

All sweet Greenturd will write him a reference.

He should in this case though Russ

I was warned when I went to a conference to Malaysia with three days of free alcohol to be very careful …somewhere you don’t want to end up behind bars

• You will not find a better candidate than Mark Coyne for the commission. Family are fantastic, he’s usually a clean skin, understands Rugby League and is respected in the corporate world.

He should have resigned though. You can’t manage player behaviour when your commission members insult the police. Amateur stuff in Singapore of all countries if you want to let loose do it @ various high end establishments with a Russian Flavour.

Gould and Coyne are mates and neighbours. I live in the and neck of the woods.

• @TYGA didn’t they say that he did attempt to hand Beattie his resignation ? I’m starting to believe Beattie is just bat💩 craY. Massive problem with our game no doubt - I’m totally done with the patriarchal approach the top dogs take towards each other in our business ! Get marina GO for CEO for all we care

We shouldn’t have to be hearing about these things so regularly that players actually have a point in that a lot of former ‘stars’, the golden boys bring the game into disrepute!!

Recent Topics