HIA Scammers

• Don’t know why it wasn’t raised at all during the week - Probably because it was concerning the filthy Donkeys. Milford goes to the bin for a HIA after clearly not getting hit with any real force in a glancing swoosh after taking a high kick. Penalty Donks. The attacker (I think it was Montoya) catches his knee on the way through on milfords leg. He goes down, Milford stays down, the trainer comes in and brings Milford off to be assessed. Montoya goes off with an injured knee and can’t return. Milford comes back on after a spell and the Donkeys go on to win. Milford gets interviewed at games end and is asked about the incident. His response…“All good, just a bit of a cork” So why aren’t the Donkey cheats being hauled over the coals for abusing the rules? Because there’s no problem with that sort of cheating I guess. Imagine if that was one of our players and trainers. Someone would be suspended along with a hefty fine applied. And Greenberg would be up on his stinkin podium snorting on about how we’ve once again made the sky fall in - Guaranteed.

• I would think Milford being off the field for 15 minutes would be a major disadvantage for the Broncos, how was it cheating?

• Whole system needs a re-work but geez mate there were bigger injustices in just about every other game over the weekend lol - you pick the one I thought officiated best !!

• @rustycage said in HIA Scammers:

Don’t know why it wasn’t raised at all during the week - Probably because it was concerning the filthy Donkeys. Milford goes to the bin for a HIA after clearly not getting hit with any real force in a glancing swoosh after taking a high kick. Penalty Donks. The attacker (I think it was Montoya) catches his knee on the way through on milfords leg. He goes down, Milford stays down, the trainer comes in and brings Milford off to be assessed. Montoya goes off with an injured knee and can’t return. Milford comes back on after a spell and the Donkeys go on to win. Milford gets interviewed at games end and is asked about the incident. His response…“All good, just a bit of a cork” So why aren’t the Donkey cheats being hauled over the coals for abusing the rules? Because there’s no problem with that sort of cheating I guess. Imagine if that was one of our players and trainers. Someone would be suspended along with a hefty fine applied. And Greenberg would be up on his stinkin podium snorting on about how we’ve once again made the sky fall in - Guaranteed.

As soon as you said “donkeys” the NRL has no other interest than to just count the slush money that comes in fIrom the north.Its all fair in the NRL just ask Todd

• @TieDye said in HIA Scammers:

Whole system needs a re-work but geez mate there were bigger injustices in just about every other game over the weekend lol - you pick the one I thought officiated best !!

The point being, it was blatant cheating. He admitted as much.

• @Sart0ri said in HIA Scammers:

I would think Milford being off the field for 15 minutes would be a major disadvantage for the Broncos, how was it cheating?

My thoughts exactly. Taking a forward off after 20 convenient minutes to be assessed for HIA = dodgy.

Taking off a back is very likely to be the opposite, because it mandates moving players out of position.

There’s no sure-fire way to stamp out cheating whilst also ensuring safety. The mandatory 15 minutes spell helps because it’s almost 20% of the match, but obviously for forwards the clubs have an incentive to rest them after a certain time.

The NRL also has to be sure that all potential concussions are removed from the field and assessed, and that means casting a wide net that will capture both genuine and non-genuine concussions. They can’t afford to be excessively strict, because they have a duty of care to players.

I know an NRL doctor independently assesses all potential player symptoms to ensure players injured in head knocks are removed for assessment, but I’m not sure if that same doctor also assesses the players once they come from the field. If so, then perhaps that doctor can be a gateway to ensuring illegitimate HIAs are penalised.

HOWEVER I would argue it’s very hard for the NRL to penalise a trainer who removes a player on suspicion of concussion - they will always argue it’s their on-field rapid decision and they err on the side of caution. It would be like penalising a doctor for sending you to get some simple tests because you may have symptoms that they are concerned about - better to be safe.

IMO this is not an issue worth scrutinising too hard, you are only going to get yourself twisted up in knots because it is, by design, an imperfect system.

• All clubs do it. It’s a free interchange. I think we have done it on a number of occasions.

• @jirskyr said in HIA Scammers:

@Sart0ri said in HIA Scammers:

I would think Milford being off the field for 15 minutes would be a major disadvantage for the Broncos, how was it cheating?

My thoughts exactly. Taking a forward off after 20 convenient minutes to be assessed for HIA = dodgy.

Taking off a back is very likely to be the opposite, because it mandates moving players out of position.

There’s no sure-fire way to stamp out cheating whilst also ensuring safety. The mandatory 15 minutes spell helps because it’s almost 20% of the match, but obviously for forwards the clubs have an incentive to rest them after a certain time.

The NRL also has to be sure that all potential concussions are removed from the field and assessed, and that means casting a wide net that will capture both genuine and non-genuine concussions. They can’t afford to be excessively strict, because they have a duty of care to players.

I know an NRL doctor independently assesses all potential player symptoms to ensure players injured in head knocks are removed for assessment, but I’m not sure if that same doctor also assesses the players once they come from the field. If so, then perhaps that doctor can be a gateway to ensuring illegitimate HIAs are penalised.

HOWEVER I would argue it’s very hard for the NRL to penalise a trainer who removes a player on suspicion of concussion - they will always argue it’s their on-field rapid decision and they err on the side of caution. It would be like penalising a doctor for sending you to get some simple tests because you may have symptoms that they are concerned about - better to be safe.

IMO this is not an issue worth scrutinising too hard, you are only going to get yourself twisted up in knots because it is, by design, an imperfect system.

So when he says - no worries there, just a cork…all is fine? He’s just said he went off to the head bin because he had a cork. Ok…play on.

• @rustycage penalty broncos.

• ForumSupporter

well he is a cork head…

• I remember watching it and blowing up at the Donkeys getting a penalty and thinking it was outrageous he went for a hia.

Then when I heard the post match interview and he really put his foot in it I remember turning to my sister and saying “did you hear that, he just admitted he didn’t come off because of a head knock”

The sad reality is, as long as sports people are donating their brains to science and as long as ex players are considering suing over ongoing problems caused by head knocks and as long as the data on head injuries from contact sport continues to come in we’ll see trainers taking players for a hia after stubbing their toe and the NRL will just say “we have to take every precaution to protect the well-being of our players”

Im in the James Graham camp when it comes to this, players know what they’re in for, nobody is forcing anyone to play such a physical contact sport, they choose to and it’s their body to do what they like with.
    They know the dangers, they are prepared to take the risks involved if they’re not okay with the risks, go get a desk job.

• @rustycage said in HIA Scammers:

So when he says - no worries there, just a cork…all is fine? He’s just said he went off to the head bin because he had a cork. Ok…play on.

Yeah I’m not that fussed. Broncos lost him for 15 mins and had to reshuffle. The NRL has bigger fish to fry.

• @jirskyr said in HIA Scammers:

@rustycage said in HIA Scammers:

Yeah I’m not that fussed. Broncos lost him for 15 mins and had to reshuffle. The NRL has bigger fish to fry.

I reckon they rested him and managed his cork. The broncos were never going to lose that game. They can easily fill the void at FB. It’s the blatant admission and nothing said by the nrl that gives me the ships.

Recent Topics