Knee injury may force Matulino to hang up boots

• Knee injury may force Matulino to hang up boots
    Author
    Michael Chammas
    Chief Reporter
    Timestamp
    Thu 25 Jul 2019, 02:58 PM

Wests Tigers prop Ben Matulino may have played his last game of rugby league as he faces the prospect of entering retirement.

NRL.com understands the knee injury the 30-year-old suffered in the club’s 27-26 victory against the Cowboys in round 14 is potentially career-ending.

Matulino hasn’t been able to return to training since the injury and there are genuine fears his NRL days are numbered.

The Wests Tigers have been struggling in the forwards and want him back on the field, however the medical advice suggests he may struggle to play again.

The RLPA is working closely with Matulino, who is guaranteed the full amount of his contract, which expires at the end of 2020.

However, if it is deemed he has suffered a career-ending injury, the Tigers may have his contract - believed to be upwards of around $600,000 next year - excluded from the salary cap.

The NRL is aware of the situation and will need to be convinced the injury isn’t chronic and has been the result of a career-ending injury for Matulino’s contract to be wiped from the cap.

Knights v Wests Tigers - Round 19
    Matulino has played 248 NRL games since his Telstra Premiership debut for the Warriors in 2008, joining the Tigers last season under former coach Ivan Cleary.

Prior to his knee injury in round 14, Matulino had played in 36 of the possible 37 games since joining the Tigers.

He’s also proven to be quite resilient throughout his career, playing in 215 of the possible 234 games since cementing a regular spot in the NRL in 2010.

Ben Matulino passes during the round-14 clash with the Cowboys.
    Ben Matulino passes during the round-14 clash with the Cowboys.
    ©Scott Davis/NRL Photos
    While it’s unfortunate for Matulino and the Tigers, the potential retirement could allow them the opportunity to lure new players to the club.

It comes a week after Josh Reynolds was granted permission by the club to negotiate with rival teams after Benji Marshall indicated he was playing on.

The potential departure of Reynolds and retirement of Matulino could mean the Tigers head into next season with more than $1 million in the bank to sign some new faces.

• ForumSupporter

@TheDaBoss saddens me to say this but it is sorta good news

• Our luck the NRL will refuse this and fine us for attempting to do so… 😉 😉
    Unlucky for him but hope this happens so we can put the money elsewhere. (Yes i know we still have to pay him)

• this is really sad as you don’t wanna see any player hang up the boots like this, but $600k would deliver Christian Welch with ease.

• @jrtiger EASILY!! Pleasilyyyy

• It’s a shame for him, but that will really help us

• @hsvjones said in Knee injury may force Matulino to hang up boots:

Our luck the NRL will refuse this and fine us for attempting to do so… 😉 😉
    Unlucky for him but hope this happens so we can put the money elsewhere. (Yes i know we still have to pay him)

It’s a shame. It may push us back into the Red, profit-wise.

• Don’t wanna celebrate the end of the man’s career
    … all the best with your future big fella.

Few more to go but this is good for the club but bad for the individual

• I don’t think we’ll see him back.

• Real unfortunate for Mats, thought he’s been decent for us.

As much as it pains me to say it, could be a win-win for both parties. Mats gets his money and can take care of his family, and we get the opporunity to sign at least one more quality player for next year.

Hate that I think like this when a player gets injured though 😞

• Ben Matulino 4-5 years ago was a great signing …

If you want to watch a movie that is the WT’s in a MLB format watch Major League

Some of the comments from the coaching staff just makes me think WT’s

One coach "Wish we had him 2 years ago , other coach we did , other coach 4 years ago

Inviting players to trials " board member : this guy is dead , Owner : cross him off the list then

Best hitter can’t hit curves and practises voodoo

Cleveland Indians = Wests Tigers to a tee

• Matulino is his prime was one of my favourite front rowers. Before the shoulder charge ban he used to iron blokes out. Whole hearted player injury has crueller him. Unfortunate but now sit for Greenberg to block the cap exemption. NRL wants us dead in the water.

• @willow said in Knee injury may force Matulino to hang up boots:

I don’t think we’ll see him back.

A shame really, he was putting in when his mate Rusty wasn’t, he tightened our middle and we were a better team with him in it.
    I wish him well, and if he does retire we have $600k or more to spend, maybe he could hang around and teach our middle forwards about proper defence

• All the best with the recovery and post nrl life, Mats. Don’t think anyone likes seeing players retire due to injury.

• He is a far bigger loss than Packer he certainly deserved a much better send off than this

Recent Topics