Why don't we run onto the ball?

• This is a post based on all season, not just tonight.

But, why don’t we run onto the ball? All our runners get the ball off a standing start then start running. Then I watch every other team, and the other teams line up and charge onto the ball. As a result, we only get like 30m in our sets and we never have a consistent run of metres with good play-theballs.

Has anyone else noticed?

• @WeHaveCheeKam said in Why don't we run onto the ball?:

This is a post based on all season, not just tonight.

But, why don’t we run onto the ball? All our runners get the ball off a standing start then start running. Then I watch every other team, and the other teams line up and charge onto the ball. As a result, we only get like 30m in our sets and we never have a consistent run of metres with good play-theballs.

Has anyone else noticed?

Yes. I almost forgave Liddle for that terrible pass to nobody last weekend because it was thrown to where someone should have been running on to it…

• Running onto the ball has the same value as line speed.

• @WeHaveCheeKam I think its because they ( and me included ) are worried they are going to drop the ball. Yes I definitely agree with you and it is in every game

• @WeHaveCheeKam
    Totally agree. It has baffled me all year.

1. The pass from dummy half is too slow
    2. The pass from dummy half is too deep
    3. The runner hits the ball 3 meters behind the play the ball not at the play the ball
    4. Three of our forwards jog 3/4 pass, not at a sprint. Eisinighuth, Taylor Garner
    5. They don’t start to run as the payer gets up but rather wait until the dummy half has the ball
    6. they don’t run at different widths.
      6.they have no “pattern” runs

All of this is basic schoolboy stuff

• Good post. I’ve thought the same thing over the course of the season also. You’ll notice that every other club seems to have crazy linespeed against us. But we also never hit the advantage line. We’re not a particularly big side, so it’s time we started playing smarter rather than having to run harder.

• We have three players that do Matterson, Mikalele and Aloai. We don’t have the size and power in the forwards plain and simple. They don’t want the high impact and it’s the same defensively with line speed. It’s where Madge has to recruit in the off-season. We needs props with size, speed and power.

Of the rumoured signings Ese- Ese makes sense.
    We need another hard running prop also for next year.

• @TYGA said in Why don't we run onto the ball?:

We have three players that do Matterson, Mikalele and Aloai. We don’t have the size and power in the forwards plain and simple. They don’t want the high impact and it’s the same defensively with line speed. It’s where Madge has to recruit in the off-season. We needs props with size, speed and power.

You are probably right to a large extent, but in alot of players alot of our players are getting chased down by the markers and making like 2-3 metres. I think in the first 12 minutes of the second half last night we didn’t play the ball in their half because Newcastle were going 50-60m every set, while we were going 25-35m at MAX.

• I understand the OP and the reality is we do make good yardage once we play into the match. E.g. after 20 mins we had absorbed the Knights early line speed and were handily getting over the advantage line. The set after our first try went about 70m.

I think a lot of it has to do with player speed - we have several forwards who lack any explosive speed, so they really can’t charge onto the ball before the defensive line has already hit them, not if they want to cross the advantage line.

I also agree that it’s part of a safety-first approach I think Madge wants from the team, where we are happy to spread the ball but we don’t really charge onto face balls much this year. I can sort of understand this, whenever I think of Lawrence or Aloiai bursting onto a pass out wide, the immediate next thought is of the bad Brooks pass and the dropped ball.

But I do agree that I wish we saw more hard line running. Garner was reasonably effective last night taking on Mann, even though he was also not really coming onto it at speed, rather he was picking his line smartly.

• Yeah it gets on my nerves. When we are coming out of our own end. We have a decoy runner and other player catches it 5m behind the play the ball resulting in only going about 5m forward each bloody tackles

• Their winger that score after half time… And the bloke that trampled Benji… Hard running… We see little of that from our blokes.

Some. Of the best footy I’ve seen was a manly team of several years ago that attacked with their defense… Line speed Was outrageous and constantly forcing errors and the attack to go backwards… Inspiring stuff

• @WeHaveCheeKam said in Why don't we run onto the ball?:

@TYGA said in Why don't we run onto the ball?:

We have three players that do Matterson, Mikalele and Aloai. We don’t have the size and power in the forwards plain and simple. They don’t want the high impact and it’s the same defensively with line speed. It’s where Madge has to recruit in the off-season. We needs props with size, speed and power.

You are probably right to a large extent, but in alot of players alot of our players are getting chased down by the markers and making like 2-3 metres. I think in the first 12 minutes of the second half last night we didn’t play the ball in their half because Newcastle were going 50-60m every set, while we were going 25-35m at MAX.

Liddle will make a big difference Farah is a warrior but slowing down. We need speed across the park and power in the middle.
    Big effort we need to back up now at the 8th wonder. I’d forwards hold their own we will win against the cows.

• @TYGA said in Why don't we run onto the ball?:

@WeHaveCheeKam said in Why don't we run onto the ball?:

@TYGA said in Why don't we run onto the ball?:

Liddle will make a big difference Farah is a warrior but slowing down. We need speed across the park and power in the middle.
    Big effort we need to back up now at the 8th wonder. I’d forwards hold their own we will win against the cows.

Farah takes one step from dummy half .
    That one step hinders our go forward !
    Needs to pass a bullet from the deck !

Recent Topics