Jersey Flegg v Knights

• Anyone at the game can provide comment on Liam Scolari’s game. I read comments from a Newcastle supporter who described his two tries (the two first of the game) as good wingers tries. Thoughts on him moving into the CC team this year? I know we don’t like pace in our NRL wingers!

• ForumSupporter

@pawsandclaws1 said in Jersey Flegg v Knights:

Anyone at the game can provide comment on Liam Scolari’s game. I read comments from a Newcastle supporter who described his two tries (the two first of the game) as good wingers tries. Thoughts on him moving into the CC team this year? I know we don’t like pace in our NRL wingers!

One of our wingers was fast enough to stop Glasby scoring at 6-12 with not long to go in the 1st half one could argue a turning point…

• @Geo My apology. I overlooked the latest release which suggested according to some measurement, we have the next Usain Bolt on our wing.

• @pawsandclaws1 Can confirm that particularly his first try was impressive from almost on half way after good hands across the backline. He is deceptively quick and his swerve made the fullback look very silly. Young also good when he gets a chance but we don’t IMO get them the ball enough.

Scolari gets 2 tries in the first 5 minutes and then we decide to starve our outside backs of the ball? Lee-Silver also went very well at fullback and scored a great try up the middle. Back three very good with limited opportunities.

That said kudos to the team as a whole. Cini did some decisive defensive shut downs on the left edge near our line and was solid. Stevanovic had his best game of the season and Burey was quite good.

For a union bloke and those I’ve spoken to that know of him as a schoolboy, Scolari is tough as nails and his defence is very punishing for not a big size. He has the Dubbo mongrel in him it seems and doesn’t take a backward step.

He combined well with Wilson defensively to terrorise their left edge all day and they were intimidating at times.

Chops must be pulling his hair out with this team. Just very inconsistent but so are many other teams in this comp.

• @Thaiger Thanks for the great update. I have high hopes for Scolari and a few other players in the team. Sometimes teams just don’t gel but that doesn’t mean a few individuals can’t progress through to the next level.

• In the end, at this level results mean nothing. It’s nice to win, it shows there is talent across the field and that the team has good structures in place, but in the end it’s about producing players who are capable of stepping up to the next level. It’s preferable to create a winning culture throughout the club at all levels but you only have to look at the Storm flegg sides and those of other clubs that regularly don’t make the finals at that level yet the conveyor belt of talent keeps on rolling through.

If you get a few first graders out of a squad that’s a good result - I dare say that from the round one lineup of our flegg side at least 6-7 will go onto first grade careers. Mostly in the backs.

If I recall correctly Scolari was sprinting at state championship level while at school, so he’s certainly no slouch. Seems like a faster version of Corey Thompson to me. Hope he gets opportunities at a higher level in the near future, along with Dillon and Cini.

• @balmain-boy Dillion looks the goods.

• @Thaiger

Agree that Scolari does likes the contact in attack and defense.
    Some nice highlights here from his schoolboy rugby days.

• @derekderekson Thanks Derek. I have seen this. Like most there is always worry about union to league transition and no doubt he’s still learning his trade but signs are there that he will do it well with the right coaching and support.

Certainly he commits hard. He must have plenty of speed (there are lot of opposite numbers grasping at thin air in this) but he also might need a bit more size to make it to the next level.

• @pawsandclaws1 said in Jersey Flegg v Knights:

Anyone at the game can provide comment on Liam Scolari’s game. I read comments from a Newcastle supporter who described his two tries (the two first of the game) as good wingers tries. Thoughts on him moving into the CC team this year? I know we don’t like pace in our NRL wingers!

Here are the highlights. Jump to 2:40 for the WT game.

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2019/07/30/highlights--jersey-flegg-cup---rd-19/

• @balmain-boy Thanks

Recent Topics