Jersey Flegg Team Announcement: Round 20

• @fred he must be clearing the decks to sign his son again… I thought his role was to look after the junior players

• @fred said in Jersey Flegg Team Announcement: Round 20:

@willow Not sure, the whisper I’m hearing is dave warwick is about to be punted, McDonnell to have the say, and I’m hearing McDonnell doesn’t rate Smith, Bradley, Dillon and 2 others names were mentioned but I forgot them, interesting times ahead…watch this space so to speak

The role of a junior recruiter is exactly that, to recruit talent to our junior teams. Once they’re here it really doesn’t matter what they think. If McDonnell doesn’t rate Bradley but Madge does what do you think’s going to happen? Once they’re at the club the entire football department and coaching staff can make a decision based on players’ performances, training habits etc.

I reckon we should have one talent spotter for nsw and one for qld. Far too much talent up there that we miss out on. It’s pretty much just the qld sides, storm, sharks and roosters that snap up the queensland boys.

• @pawsandclaws1 said in Jersey Flegg Team Announcement: Round 20:

We can’t be bothered keeping our own outstanding talent eg Papenhuyzen so how realistic is it to expect the cream to join us!

You really need to stop with this narrative re Paps. It is reasonable to release young talent if you have potentially the best player in the NRL already in that position.

Clubs don’t release junior talent if there are gaps in the first-grade side and they also cannot afford to hold all in-demand junior talent if there is no spot for them.

Noting of course that Paps was not in-demand at the time and potentially still isn’t.

@fred The Club would want to have absolutely outstanding backline talent signed for next year if this is the case. We can’t be bothered keeping our own outstanding talent eg Papenhuyzen so how realistic is it to expect the cream to join us! The Club must release news shortly about junior player acquisitions.

Papenhuyzen wasn’t doing anything special for us when he left - he was, and still is a midget, was injury prone and was stuck behind Tedeseco at the time , who was only around 23 years of age at the time. Right move by both parties at the time.

• @jirskyr We had a gap at fullback. Tedesco was not secured so who was Plan B? Seems to be prudent to secure a successor. We have failed to secure a top line replacement since Tedesco left which only highlights the rather curious succession planning at WTs.

• @willow Your explanation only highlights the shortcomings in talent identification and retention at the Club.

@jirskyr We had a gap at fullback. Tedesco was not secured so who was Plan B? Seems to be prudent to secure a successor. We have failed to secure a top line replacement since Tedesco left which only highlights the rather curious succession planning at WTs.

We didn’t have a gap until Tedesco left.

Roosters didn’t have a topline replacement when RTS left. Where are these fantasy clubs that have topline replacements bouncing around in reserves on the chance that the star player leaves? Who has a complete topline team ready and waiting as a Plan B?

And who are these fantasy clubs that immediately secure a new topline replacement if their start player does leave? In the Roosters case, they didn’t plan to lose RTS, then decided to field Blake Ferguson as FB. Dale Copley was brought in for the new centres role and frankly he’s very ordinary.

Tigers did secure a topline replacement anyway - Mbye. Not the world’s greatest fullback but a rep-level player signed within 6 months of Tedesco starting at Roosters.

Your idea is pure nonsense, that clubs are expected to have topline players in the wings on the off chance that a high-level player leaves. Doesn’t happen because of the salary cap. At best, some clubs with known retiring players can plan for the succession.

• Banned

@jirskyr we needed a back-up plan & gun for reserves. Needed to be re-signed but was in no way ever going to play once Ted lit up !

• @balmain-boy just repeating what I was told Monday night. I was told Bradley didn’t even get a trial under McDonnell at Canterbury, so left and got a start with dragons at Jersey Flegg age, Dillon apparently he doesn’t like although being a gun finisher with great speed , my source tells me it’s because “warren loves a crawler, and Dillon definitely isn’t that, he keeps to himself and trains super hard, but he’s old school, doesn’t suck up to anyone”. Smith I was told “isn’t liked by a few people , including team mates” and Talau left the bulldogs cause McDonnell doesn’t rate him and offered him a rubbish contract at the dogs basically “forcing him to go to another club”. Whether anything happens who knows, just passing on what I was told, thought it was quite interesting.

• @fred Re. Bradley, Talau and Dillion, I’m surprised. Smith not so much.

• @jirskyr I referred to succession planning in that we should have had Papenhuyzen re-signed should the worst case scenario eventuate… Well tit did eventuate and it was Bellamy who had the succession planning in place at our expense. The fact we lost Papenhuyzen, lost Tedesco and had no plans to replace them reeks of amateurism which will keep our club out of the 8 until we fix it. You may think it nonsense, but I operate in the world of reality.

@jirskyr I referred to succession planning in that we should have had Papenhuyzen re-signed should the worst case scenario eventuate… Well tit did eventuate and it was Bellamy who had the succession planning in place at our expense. The fact we lost Papenhuyzen, lost Tedesco and had no plans to replace them reeks of amateurism which will keep our club out of the 8 until we fix it. You may think it nonsense, but I operate in the world of reality.

Yeah I do think it is nonsense.

You propose top-tier junior talent signed up in every position to cover POSSIBLE loss of first-grade players. Such a thing does not exist, there is no junior team going around with top-tier talent in every position. I don’t even think the lower tier salary cap permits it.

Every club has FOUR development players max, not 13, not 17.

If you are lucky you may have a junior who becomes ready for NRL at the same time a player leaves, or the first-grader chooses to retire and you have a gap opening.

However when you hit April or May and are finalising your roster for next year, if you have an incumbent and a junior probably ready for firsts, both off contract, what do you do?

Well it turns out Tigers offered Paps a deal and he turned it down anyway, to go into the Storm system. So it wasn’t about lack of succession planning, it was about two players choosing to leave the club at the same time.

From the horse’s mouth himself:

We heard Teddy was going to stay, that he was locked in at the Tigers,” Papenhuyzen said.

"So I was going to be behind Teddy, or go to Melbourne and be behind Biully.

"Financially the deals with the Tigers and Melbourne were similar. But if I wanted longevity, the place to go was Melbourne.

"I was also having hamstring problems at the time and the Storm mapped out what I could do to overcome it. I was impressed by that. They sent me off to a few people before I even got down there. I ended up doing some work with their speed coach Adam Basil, who raced at the Olympics, and he worked on my glutes, technique, stuff like that.

“It all made the decision easier.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/you-can-t-dutch-this-flyer-papenhuyzen-one-that-got-away-from-tigers-20190515-p51nih.html

What I will grant you is that Tigers are probably considered an inferior destination for some players, particularly if you have the facilities offered by Penrith, sponsorship via Broncos, unofficial handshakes at Roosters, Rusty’s mansion at Souths, coaching expertise at Storm.

I’ll grant that if you really want to become a better footballer, Storm is an enticing location. Paps felt that Storm had better strategies for his hamstring issues and that’s on Tigers physio not succession planning.

You can keep saying the same crap about succession planning and I won’t bother pulling you up any more, but it’s a delusion, yes.

• @jirskyr said in Jersey Flegg Team Announcement: Round 20:

@pawsandclaws1 said in Jersey Flegg Team Announcement: Round 20:

@jirskyr I referred to succession planning in that we should have had Papenhuyzen re-signed should the worst case scenario eventuate… Well tit did eventuate and it was Bellamy who had the succession planning in place at our expense. The fact we lost Papenhuyzen, lost Tedesco and had no plans to replace them reeks of amateurism which will keep our club out of the 8 until we fix it. You may think it nonsense, but I operate in the world of reality.

Yeah I do think it is nonsense.

You propose top-tier junior talent signed up in every position to cover POSSIBLE loss of first-grade players. Such a thing does not exist, there is no junior team going around with top-tier talent in every position. I don’t even think the lower tier salary cap permits it.

Every club has FOUR development players max, not 13, not 17.

If you are lucky you may have a junior who becomes ready for NRL at the same time a player leaves, or the first-grader chooses to retire and you have a gap opening.

However when you hit April or May and are finalising your roster for next year, if you have an incumbent and a junior probably ready for firsts, both off contract, what do you do?

Well it turns out Tigers offered Paps a deal and he turned it down anyway, to go into the Storm system. So it wasn’t about lack of succession planning, it was about two players choosing to leave the club at the same time.

From the horse’s mouth himself:

We heard Teddy was going to stay, that he was locked in at the Tigers,” Papenhuyzen said.

"So I was going to be behind Teddy, or go to Melbourne and be behind Biully.

"Financially the deals with the Tigers and Melbourne were similar. But if I wanted longevity, the place to go was Melbourne.

"I was also having hamstring problems at the time and the Storm mapped out what I could do to overcome it. I was impressed by that. They sent me off to a few people before I even got down there. I ended up doing some work with their speed coach Adam Basil, who raced at the Olympics, and he worked on my glutes, technique, stuff like that.

“It all made the decision easier.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/you-can-t-dutch-this-flyer-papenhuyzen-one-that-got-away-from-tigers-20190515-p51nih.html

What I will grant you is that Tigers are probably considered an inferior destination for some players, particularly if you have the facilities offered by Penrith, sponsorship via Broncos, unofficial handshakes at Roosters, Rusty’s mansion at Souths, coaching expertise at Storm.

I’ll grant that if you really want to become a better footballer, Storm is an enticing location. Paps felt that Storm had better strategies for his hamstring issues and that’s on Tigers physio not succession planning.

You can keep saying the same crap about succession planning and I won’t bother pulling you up any more, but it’s a delusion, yes.

Well said, logical above all else which some fail to grasp.

• @fred all that this points out is that McDonnell got sacked by 2 clubs in about 3 years.

McDonnell needs to be given a brief as to the type of players we’re looking for in each position and find players that match. His personal tastes should be largely irrelevant.

• I wonder if anyone has realised we signed Michael Fenn from manlys flegg side a month ago and he’s already made a couple of appearances for both our flegg and cc sides. Aggressive prop, played rugby as an 8 for iggs if I recall correctly.

Would have worked with lambkin last year. Someone to keep an eye on and hopefully he adds something different to our pack

Recent Topics