Jersey Flegg Team Announcement: Round 20

• @balmain-boy said in Jersey Flegg Team Announcement: Round 20:

@fred all that this points out is that McDonnell got sacked by 2 clubs in about 3 years.

McDonnell needs to be given a brief as to the type of players we’re looking for in each position and find players that match. His personal tastes should be largely irrelevant.

Spot on, and this is already happening. Hopefully the strategy is to target junior reps with strong work ethic.

• @balmain-boy

• @Madge said in Jersey Flegg Team Announcement: Round 20:

@balmain-boy

Big lad. Look forward to watching him on Saturday.

• @balmain-boy Thanks for the information. Why would Manly release him mid season? Finally we seem to be getting our act together with junior identification and let’s hope retention.

• @jirskyr I have read a comment on this forum that Bellamy has back up players for each position in his system. Top tier junior talent. Look at Hughes, Papenhuyzen and Drinkwater being an example for the fullback position. So it can and is being done in the leading clubs,. The Broncos have hundreds of players signed up. No doubt the players from these two clubs are farmed out to QLD clubs and most are not development players.

• @pawsandclaws1 said in Jersey Flegg Team Announcement: Round 20:

@jirskyr I have read a comment on this forum that Bellamy has back up players for each position in his system. Top tier junior talent. Look at Hughes, Papenhuyzen and Drinkwater being an example for the fullback position. So it can and is being done in the leading clubs,. The Broncos have hundreds of players signed up. No doubt the players from these two clubs are farmed out to QLD clubs and most are not development players.

That’s fine, name the players. Name the top-tier players the Storm have for every position. Who is the backup half, who is the 5/8th, who are the centres? Don’t just say “oh they do it” - everyone has some form of backup for every position, but we are talking top-tier talent, not just also-rans.

Because I watch the Storm, their first-choice centres this year were Chambers and Scott. Good combo. Now Scott’s gone off the rails, so the next call-up is… Marion Seve! Average centre, couldn’t get a gig at his previous 2 clubs. Next call-up is… Justin Olam! Seems like a nice guy, certainly not a top-tier junior talent. And Cheyse Blair got a better offer from Castleford. Who is this gun centre kid that Bellamy has up his sleeve, when Scott unexpectedly had personal issues?

How did Ryley Jacks go when pulled in to replace Munster last year? The bloke doesn’t even have a regular gig at Titans, one of the worst teams going around.

Don’t offer me Broncos as an example of a large talent base, they can cherry-pick an entire city’s worth (arguably state’s worth) of players and have a distinct geographical advantage. Still doesn’t work out wonders for them, no premiership in 13 years and a number of young kids thrown to the wolves in 2019.

And who exactly is the top-tier talent emerging at the Broncos? David Fifita yes, Payne Haas yes. Who is their new gun junior fullback? Who is their gun junior half? Who is their gun junior hooker? Gosh I think we just signed their gun hooker. All these other fellows they are pulling in are just kids, may or may not make it. Dearden was given a go, got injured. Now this Turpin fellow is handed the reigns; they’ve got Darius Boyd running around at #6 now, about as old and crusty as a Bronco can get!

Broncos haven’t blooded a genuine electric junior talent in the spine since Ben Hunt, and even he’s a 50/50 bet whether or not you really rate him. Guys like Milford were signed from somewhere else.

• @ALX22 said in Jersey Flegg Team Announcement: Round 20:

@balmain-boy said in Jersey Flegg Team Announcement: Round 20:

@fred all that this points out is that McDonnell got sacked by 2 clubs in about 3 years.

McDonnell needs to be given a brief as to the type of players we’re looking for in each position and find players that match. His personal tastes should be largely irrelevant.

Spot on, and this is already happening. Hopefully the strategy is to target junior reps with strong work ethic.

Would you or any others that are familiar with this side of our club know what role McDonnell and Lambkin have going forward?

• @jirskyr Coates is a gun once his d is better he’ll be fantastic, and it’s called a salary cap

• @WT2K Lambkin, is that you?

• @jirskyr The recent QLD rep teams were littered with Bronco talent. Coates is just the tip. Melbourne offered up Tino Faasuamaleaui recently which explains why Welch is being sought. Strategic recruitment and development to fill vacancies. Succession planning is happening. I was asked why WTs didn’t have a third fullback option after Tedesco and Papenhuyzen? Good question and why now are we just starting to do junior recruitment again out of QLD?

Brisbane Brocos

Centres Gehamat Shibasaki, Xavier Coates, Katoni Staggs

Fullbacks Tesi Niu, Reece Walsh, Herbie Farnham

Halves Tom Deardon, Cory Paix, Tanah Boyd (recently released to Gold Coast), Troy Dargan

Melbourne Storm next stat Tino Faasuamaleaui (prop) and half Billy Walters.

• @pawsandclaws1 said in Jersey Flegg Team Announcement: Round 20:

@jirskyr The recent QLD rep teams were littered with Bronco talent. Coates is just the tip. Melbourne offered up Tino Faasuamaleaui recently which explains why Welch is being sought. Strategic recruitment and development to fill vacancies. Succession planning is happening. I was asked why WTs didn’t have a third fullback option after Tedesco and Papenhuyzen? Good question and why now are we just starting to do junior recruitment again out of QLD?

Brisbane Brocos

Centres Gehamat Shibasaki, Xavier Coates, Katoni Staggs

Fullbacks Tesi Niu, Reece Walsh, Herbie Farnham

Halves Tom Deardon, Cory Paix, Tanah Boyd (recently released to Gold Coast), Troy Dargan

Melbourne Storm next stat Tino Faasuamaleaui (prop) and half Billy Walters.

Of course the QLD rep teams were littered with Broncos talent - happens every year! That’s like saying the Victorian U18s squad has strong links to the Storm.

There are 34 players selected in the Origin U18s every year, plus another 34 in the Residents sides. That’s 68 players of sub-firsts representative level. Averages out at 4.25 guys per club, which is not enough to get a top-tier option for every club in every position.

Now you have gone and listed out all the backup options of one specific club, none of which have really been tested and proven yet. Jury is out on Staggs and Shibasaki at best; all the others haven’t played more than 5 games of firsts.

I can take the Tigers team of any era and research all the backup options the club had, and whether or not they were any good ends up being a matter of opinion and time.

Ultimately, Tigers did have a 3rd fullback option, clearly, we fielded fullbacks in every game since Tedesco and Paps left. But to have anyone at Tedesco-calibre waiting in the wings is pure luck.

• ForumSupporter

Making a Rep side is no certainty…I was listening to Cammy on the Matty Johns podcast about being not selected for the Broncos and he was rattling off all the names who were supposed to be the next Allan Langer Steve Walters etc etc ahead of him…haven’t heard of any of them and none of them ever played a game…it’s a numbers game for all teams one team towns have an advantage …but developing the player is more important…

I think we are heading in the right direction when it comes to development players in looking outside the catchment…

• @balmain-boy said in Jersey Flegg Team Announcement: Round 20:

His personal tastes largely consist of fast food.

• @Geo said in Jersey Flegg Team Announcement: Round 20:

Making a Rep side is no certainty…I was listening to Cammy on the Matty Johns podcast about being not selected for the Broncos and he was rattling off all the names who were supposed to be the next Allan Langer Steve Walters etc etc ahead of him…haven’t heard of any of them and none of them ever played a game…it’s a numbers game for all teams one team towns have an advantage …but developing the player is more important…

I think we are heading in the right direction when it comes to development players in looking outside the catchment…

This will sound silly but being the best on the field at juniors can mean a lack of hard work

The amount of blokes I know from my days who didn’t make it compared to players who did talent wise at that stage …crazy

You mention Alfie Geo …in 85 I would have told you Alf was going nowhere , his brother Kevin was way better

Same with Willie Carne or John Plath …not a chance …couldn’t even make local regional rep sides …Adrian Lam the same

• ForumSupporter

@happy_tiger said in Jersey Flegg Team Announcement: Round 20:

@Geo said in Jersey Flegg Team Announcement: Round 20:

This will sound silly but being the best on the field at juniors can mean a lack of hard work

The amount of blokes I know from my days who didn’t make it compared to players who did talent wise at that stage …crazy

You mention Alfie Geo …in 85 I would have told you Alf was going nowhere , his brother Kevin was way better

Same with Willie Carne or John Plath …not a chance …couldn’t even make local regional rep sides …Adrian Lam the same

Cammy mentioned Thurston as well who was told by the Broncos take a hike lad you too small…

Recent Topics