Cowboys coach Paul Green considering contacting NRL referees boss after loss to Wests Tigers

• By Steve Zemek
    23 minutes ago

The Cowboys coach took exception to two controversial refereeing decisions that he claims cost his side in their 28-4 defeat. “I’ll have look at it. And if I think it can help, I will,” Green said. “There’s been plenty of times that I have contacted him and I don’t think too much has changed.”

The Cowboys all but bowed out of the finals race after the five-tries-to-one defeat at Leichhardt Oval on Thursday. But Green was adamant the scoreline wasn’t a fair reflection of the game and said his side was cruelled by a pair of key no-try decisions in the first half.

The Cowboys looked like they had opened the scoring when back-rower Shane Wright crossed but it was called back after Michael Morgan’s last pass was deemed forward. The Tigers then took a commanding 16-0 lead midway through the first 40 minutes but the Cowboys looked as if they had pegged back the score when winger Kyle Feldt went over in the right corner. However the bunker denied the visitors when they ruled Wright had obstructed Luke Brooks in the lead-up - despite the Cowboys forward hitting the Tigers half on his inside shoulder.

“Early there were a couple of decisions that went against us which I don’t necessarily agree with,” Green said. "We’ve got to move on from those. "You can’t discount it either. It makes a huge difference in the context of the game, we had two tries taken off us in the first half, which were questionable in my opinion. “That forward pass and that obstruction, that does eat away at your confidence when you’re close but not quite there yet.”

With 26 points expected to be the top eight cut-off this year, the Cowboys must now win their five remaining games to be any hope of staying alive.

• You’re not going to build a resilient team if you blame the ref’s.

• Wouldn’t surprise me after what happened with Cleary that they’ll fine Green 😂

• Green = Cry baby

• Paul obviously hasn’t watched many WT games over the last few years…😂

• I thought both decisions were fair.

The forward pass was clear from the sideline (on the replay) - live at the match I couldn’t tell from front-on.

The obstruction also - the article says Wright hit Brooks’ inside shoulder, don’t know what replay they were watching. Clearly runs to the outside, even though at the last minute he tries to stop and step out of the way, he makes contact with Brooks on his outside.

obst.PNG

Live I was dubious about the Momirovski try, however at home on replay he clearly makes it into the in-goal on momentum, even though he does roll over to plant it.

The real match-ender was the Granville offside call, which wasn’t clear live, but cannot be argued on replay.

Also for Green, rather than worry about looking at 50/50 calls, he should be worried about their terrible handling (65% completion) and inability to capitalise on MANY sets inside our 20. Not sure how many sets they had in our red zone (NRL.com doesn’t report this), but Cowboys had 51% possession DESPITE their bad completions. Even with less possession we obviously scored way more points, made more metres (and Cowboys have Taumololo, but we kept him reasonably quiet) and made more post-contact metres. Our kicking game was superior and we made more metres on kick returns.

If Cows had posted some points with their early possession domination, rather than turning it over and letting us get back down the other end, it would have been a different story. Also they really failed to capitalise on the Corey sideline mistake, which put Tigers on the back-foot for about 20 mins, but Cows only came away with the one try despite a number of cracks at our line and a number of cheap turnovers by Tigers during this period.

• @jirskyr said in Cowboys coach Paul Green considering contacting NRL referees boss after loss to Wests Tigers:

I thought both decisions were fair.

The forward pass was clear from the sideline (on the replay) - live at the match I couldn’t tell from front-on.

The obstruction also - the article says Wright hit Brooks’ inside shoulder, don’t know what replay they were watching. Clearly runs to the outside, even though at the last minute he tries to stop and step out of the way, he makes contact with Brooks on his outside.

obst.PNG

Live I was dubious about the Momirovski try, however at home on replay he clearly makes it into the in-goal on momentum, even though he does roll over to plant it.

The real match-ender was the Granville offside call, which wasn’t clear live, but cannot be argued on replay.

Also for Green, rather than worry about looking at 50/50 calls, he should be worried about their terrible handling (65% completion) and inability to capitalise on MANY sets inside our 20. Not sure how many sets they had in our red zone (NRL.com doesn’t report this), but Cowboys had 51% possession DESPITE their bad completions. Even with less possession we obviously scored way more points, made more metres (and Cowboys have Taumololo, but we kept him reasonably quiet) and made more post-contact metres. Our kicking game was superior and we made more metres on kick returns.

If Cows had posted some points with their early possession domination, rather than turning it over and letting us get back down the other end, it would have been a different story. Also they really failed to capitalise on the Corey sideline mistake, which put Tigers on the back-foot for about 20 mins, but Cows only came away with the one try despite a number of cracks at our line and a number of cheap turnovers by Tigers during this period.

Spewing when I saw that!! What was he thinking?

• Think he should submit a complaint about his hooker being allowed to deliberately pass the ball forward from the ruck for 80% of the match. But then I suppose it’s easier to lay the blame with the ref when you lose by 24 points rather than acknowledge the opposition out played you.

• Green has the best pack in the comp on paper and has used them terribly all season. He should be more focussed on rectifying that.

He literally complains about the refs after every loss…

• Haha. Score wasn’t a reflection of the game… please. The cowboys were terrible. There were some tough calls, but the cowboys were lucky they weren’t dusted by 40. Green should be dropped for playing Hess in the centres.

• No wonder his side sucks when their leader is constantly crying foul and whinging… Biggest sook out there

• The forward pass call was correct. They got dudded on the obstruction however they were clearly the second best team throughout the contest, this call hardly cost them the match.

I find it pretty funny that Paul Green constantly complains about reffing errors. After out first match against them he spent full segment on NRL 360 whingeing about a couple of 50/50 calls. If only he had copped some of the outrageous calls we have over the years.

I think the constant whingeing says alot about the coach. Imagine what Maguire would do with that cowboys roster.

• Fittler said after the game the call was correct on the obstruction, he said they ran the play wrong.
    The live game shot of forward pass looked tough on the cows, the side on shot showed it to be forward, I was watching on FOX

• God two weeks in a row coaches having a big whinge because their teams couldn’t possibly lose to the Tigers if it weren’t for the ref’s errors 🙄

• When I saw that Paul Green was complaining about the referees - the first thing that came into my mind.

He wasn’t happy, must be complaining about only being allowed to be offside for 70% of the game - he obviously wanted it to be 100% of the time.

Ssssheeeesh - they had more than the rub of the green, just were not good enough.

Recent Topics