Melbourne Storm Freely Advertising Salary Cap Premiership Win

• SPORTNRLNRL 2019
    Storm brewing as Melbourne commemorate salary-cap tainted 'premiership’

Danny Weidler

The NRL continues to allow Melbourne to run their own race – and rival clubs are far from impressed.

There has been a perception for years that the Storm get a very good run from the NRL and, in part, it’s understandable, because the NRL needs the Storm to succeed. But in the eyes of some it has gone too far.

F4A98C1A-5560-4689-BE58-C8ADF4770BC8.jpeg

Fashion crime: Fashion crime: Cameron Smith in the commemorative jersey.

Just last week they had a lunch to acknowledge a significant anniversary. ‘‘Join both the 1999 and 2009 grand final teams in celebrating their premiership anniversaries on July 26,’’ the blurb read.

‘‘Don’t miss this opportunity to rub shoulders with Storm greats and reminisce over past glory.’’
    That’s right, a lunch to celebrate the 1999 premiership win – one of the great triumphs – and the 2009 title, which was stripped from the club because they systematically rorted the cap.
    Remember that? Parramatta fans certainly do. It was Eels figures who raised this with me.

And then last week against the Sea Eagles, as part of the celebration, the Storm created a special jumper to mark the occasion, featuring the words ‘‘celebrating 1999 & 2009 grand finals’’. For all the league world to see.

The Storm salary cap scandal caused enormous anger in the game. Yet, the only person who really lost out was the so-called ‘‘Chief Rat’’ Brian Waldron, the Storm chief executive at the time. Not surprisingly, he wasn’t invited to the lunch, but he should have been because he has taken the fall for others in the whole mess.

If anyone thinks Waldron went rogue and acted on his own, they are delusional. We may never know the full story of what went on down there.

As for the lunch and the words on the jumper, the NRL continues to let Melbourne do what they want. No action will be taken.

‘‘The official premiership records make it clear what happened in 2007 and 2009,’’ an NRL spokesman said. ‘‘What Melbourne choose to acknowledge is a matter for Melbourne.’’

Melbourne’s history-making captain Cameron Smith was asked about the stripped titles on The Matty Johns Podcast this week.

‘‘Amongst the players … they are ours,’’ he said. ‘‘We still have the memories. We all have the rings.’’

Those comments, the message on the jumpers and the lunch are a slap in the face to the NRL.
    And this all comes after the governing body stumped up for a dinner for Smith and 30 of his nearest and dearest at a swanky Melbourne establishment to celebrate his 400th game.

• ForumSupporter

Waaaaaaaat…Cammy got dinner…

• Showcases the blatant indifference for their cheating and also the blatant favouritism and brownnosing from the current NRL leadership. A disgrace.

• Why wasn’t the rings taken off them - they did NOT win the Premiership. They should not be allowed to indicate EVER that they won it, or were in it - they were caught cheating and if they did not cheat they would not have been there.

Smith is one of the worst at not acknowledging this - he should be told by the NRL (sure that would happen) to pull his head in.

• @Russell the cheating was found out years later yeah? Hard to physically take it back, because it has value etc. they would either have to buy them back or else it would have gone to court and been messy.

• @Bob said in Melbourne Storm Freely Advertising Salary Cap Premiership Win:

@Russell the cheating was found out years later yeah? Hard to physically take it back, because it has value etc. they would either have to buy them back or else it would have gone to court and been messy.

If they find out you killed someone years later - you still go to goal.

• This is why I hate Melbourne so much. They never acknowledge that they were wrong and didn’t deserve their success. Instead they thumb their collective noses at everyone and celebrate the blatant cheating.

• @mike said in Melbourne Storm Freely Advertising Salary Cap Premiership Win:

This is why I hate Melbourne so much. They never acknowledge that they were wrong and didn’t deserve their success. Instead they thumb their collective noses at everyone and celebrate the blatant cheating.

I wouldn’t expect anything else from them or Smith and Bellamy.

• @Russell Cam will probably be running the NRL one day. No interview required and pick up where Toddy and his mates left off.

• Lets be honest- none of the Melbourne players ever admitted any knowledge of the fake contracts, extra payments and inducements (eg boats and jet ski’s- I’m looking at you Inglis). All this led up to a superior roster capable of taking on anyone and winning- and they did. Sure Waldron got the blame and the NRL records show the 2009 record in its infamy- but were any of the players investigated or potentially charged by the ATO or taken to court by the NRL for falsely signing fake contracts, were the player managers ever banned? Nope- and the stink continues in the administration of the NRL- not just HQ-

• @2005magic said in Melbourne Storm Freely Advertising Salary Cap Premiership Win:

they

Players should of been made to accept responsibility and punishment fo some of these obvious things

• I feel tremendous disdain for clubs like Melbourne, Brisbane and roosters but at the end of the day it’s the inequity coming out of that cesspit we call the NRL headquarters that we should be aiming our anger at. The obvious and ever increasing bias towards some clubs/teams/players is there for all to see and it happens on and off the field.
    As I’ve said before, I am rusted on Tigers and love footy but I hate the NRL with a passion. They are ruining a great game and haven’t got a bloody clue how to turn it around.
    Oh - how successful was that billboard in America? How did this piece of marketing genius help grow our game? What’s the follow up? How was it a part of a strategy to grow the game? Or was it just a peeing contest? Just one small example of how our game is being governed and administered.

• @2005magic said in Melbourne Storm Freely Advertising Salary Cap Premiership Win:

Lets be honest- none of the Melbourne players ever admitted any knowledge of the fake contracts, extra payments and inducements (eg boats and jet ski’s- I’m looking at you Inglis). All this led up to a superior roster capable of taking on anyone and winning- and they did. Sure Waldron got the blame and the NRL records show the 2009 record in its infamy- but were any of the players investigated or potentially charged by the ATO or taken to court by the NRL for falsely signing fake contracts, were the player managers ever banned? Nope- and the stink continues in the administration of the NRL- not just HQ-

So glad this practice was identified and rectified by the NRL. So glad current competition winners can’t rape other clubs stocks by offering under the table benefits. So glad this has been fixed. Morons!

• @Russell that comment is just ridiculous…

Sometimes when you have nothing say, you can just keep quiet…

• The NRL should be all over this. Absolute weak as water.

Recent Topics