Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle

Congratulations to Liddle and the club. Good retention signing.

Worth persevering with and the contract length gives him and the club time to assess his future.

I’m confident that should he live up to his potential the club will give him his fair dues next time around and he will remain loyal.

@avocadoontoast said in Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle:

@Russell said in Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle:

@colinbh said in Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle:

@4jtigers said in Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle:

@Papacito said in Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle:

Dud signing.

If he was any good, he’d be a regular first grader rather than being kept in reggies by a senior citizen with a bung neck.

dud comment… lol

Really, really dud.

Obviously the poster has never seen Jacob play.

When the Tigers play he is watching from under a rock lol.

He’s been ok Russ but we shouldn’t get carried away. We’ve been lucky to have Farah here this year imo.

He’ll go even better next year Avo - and then watch the team improve.

TIGEEEEERRRRR!!!

@hammertime said in Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle:

@Jimmy said in Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle:

@2041
Madge is also off contract come 2021, this is why he is only singing playing till then…duh

I dare say we’ll look at extending him in the offseason. I’m craving for some stability at our joint and despite the position on the ladder, I think he’s done a brilliant job with one hand behind his back (in terms of the main roster being in NSW cup + fine).

Spot on. We need Maguire for 10 years plus.

last edited by Tiger_Steve

@Papacito said in Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle:

Dud signing.

If he was any good, he’d be a regular first grader rather than being kept in reggies by a senior citizen with a bung neck.

This was you in 2017:

If Damien Cook was any good, he’d be playing 80 minutes rather than 30 minutes off the bench behind a senior citizen with a bung neck.

We all know how good Cook turned out to be. Liddle has shown heaps of promise. Don’t write him off.

@Tiger_Steve said in Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle:

@hammertime said in Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle:

@Jimmy said in Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle:

@2041
Madge is also off contract come 2021, this is why he is only singing playing till then…duh

I dare say we’ll look at extending him in the offseason. I’m craving for some stability at our joint and despite the position on the ladder, I think he’s done a brilliant job with one hand behind his back (in terms of the main roster being in NSW cup + fine).

Spot on. We need Maguire for 10 years plus.

Tim Sheens says Hi…

@2041 said in Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle:

Good news, but AGAIN just two years. FFS, Tigers - if he’s the guy lock him up long term and if he’s not let him go. He’ll be off contract again at age 24, ie just entering his prime. If we assume 2020 is going to be not massively better than 2019 (as we don’t have cap room to make any major signings and the promising juniors are more than a year away) we will get exactly one season of Liddle in a potentially competitive team out of this contract.

I think it’s a good decision. He’s a good player but has been injury plagued and hasn’t proven that he can play 80 mins in the NRL.

So he gets enough time with the Tigers to demonstrate that he can stay fit before hitting the open market at 24.

Good news, but AGAIN just two years. FFS, Tigers - if he’s the guy lock him up long term and if he’s not let him go. He’ll be off contract again at age 24, ie just entering his prime. If we assume 2020 is going to be not massively better than 2019 (as we don’t have cap room to make any major signings and the promising juniors are more than a year away) we will get exactly one season of Liddle in a potentially competitive team out of this contract.

I think it’s a good decision. He’s a good player but has been injury plagued and hasn’t proven that he can play 80 mins in the NRL.

So he gets enough time with the Tigers to demonstrate that he can stay fit before hitting the open market at 24.

He is way too big a risk to sign for longer than 2 years.

Liddle is a big worry. He should’ve been pushing Farah out of the side this year. Instead we’re hitting 2020 with a starting hooker who has yet to play an 80 minute game, which means we’ll have to carry a play-maker on the bench instead of a utility back/forward.

The club should see if they get Harry Grant from the Qld Cup - that kid is a gun and way too good for that competition.

Cool, 2 years is a good time period imo.

@madunit we’ll have Isaac Luke to share duties with him. Don’t worry.

Well done Jacob and our club. I am glad he has chosen to stay with us in a display of loyalty.

He is way too big a risk to sign for longer than 2 years.

That’s one type of risk. The other is finding out that he’s good and either losing him or having to pay him way more after 2021.

Look, I don’t have particular insight into Jacob Liddle’s injuries or how well he’ll perform as a starting hooker in the NRL. I know the club has rated him highly for years. They obviously still rate him highly enough to give him a new contract. I also know that the Tigers as a club need to get value out of signing players before they’re able to command full value. We can’t supplement salaries significantly by legitimate or illegitimate means, so to compete we have to be smart about the contracts we offer.

We keep doing this. Look at Tedesco. He was the subject of a bidding war before he’d played first grade so the Tigers gave him a two year extension that took him to age 21. He lost his whole first season to an ACL and most of his third to a fractured kneecap. When he did the backflip on the Raiders we gave him another three-year deal which allowed him to hit free agency for the second time at the grand old age of 24. Do you think maybe we should have been a bit more ambitious with one of those contracts?

last edited by 2041

@madunit said in Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle:

Liddle is a big worry. He should’ve been pushing Farah out of the side this year. Instead we’re hitting 2020 with a starting hooker who has yet to play an 80 minute game, which means we’ll have to carry a play-maker on the bench instead of a utility back/forward.

The club should see if they get Harry Grant from the Qld Cup - that kid is a gun and way too good for that competition.

As if anyone was going to push Farah out this year. He was playing reasonably well and is one of Madge’s favorites. Liddle was lucky to get the amount of time he has gotten. How do you play 80 minutes if you are only given a maximum of 20 minutes - unless there are four of him, he can’t.

Liddle would not have pushed him out with a bulldozer.

Liddle can play 80 minutes don’t you worry about that, especially after a full off season to muscle up.

People say Liddle is too small, he is bigger than Farah and Grant is smaller than Farah - probably a couple of years away from NRL if he ever gets there.

last edited by Russell

As if anyone was going to push Farah out this year. He was playing reasonably well and is one of Madge’s favorites. Liddle was lucky to get the amount of time he has gotten. How do you play 80 minutes if you are only given a maximum of 20 minutes - unless there are four of him, he can’t.

Liddle can play 80 minutes don’t you worry about that, especially after a full off season to muscle up.

People say Liddle is too small, he is bigger than Farah and Grant is smaller than Farah - probably a couple of years away from NRL if he ever gets there.

Russ there is no way you or anyone else (probably including Liddle himself) can be sure of him managing 80 minutes of NRL every week.

And I don’t think Madge is playing favourites, I think he’s playing the team that he feels will have the best chance of winning. That team is with Farah at 9. Next year, who knows, I hope Liddle kills it, but even his biggest fans must have some concerns around his durability.

Russ there is no way you or anyone else (probably including Liddle himself) can be sure of him managing 80 minutes of NRL every week.

And I don’t think Madge is playing favourites, I think he’s playing the team that he feels will have the best chance of winning. That team is with Farah at 9. Next year, who knows, I hope Liddle kills it, but even his biggest fans must have some concerns around his durability.

I don’t have any concerns Avo - he will kill it.

I am just as sure that he will play out 80 minutes as all those saying that he can’t - they don’t know either.

CC is not NRL but playing the full game in CC and completing 77 tackles as well as playing good in attack is not a bad trial for it imo.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.