Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle

Jeez was watching his press conference and he’s worse than Brooks when talking to the media 😂 Chris Lawrence said aswell that he is a shy person, I’m worried that it will hinder his chances of him reaching his potential like Brooks.

@Sart0ri said in Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle:

@2041 said in Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle:

@avocadoontoast said in Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle:

Good news, but AGAIN just two years. FFS, Tigers - if he’s the guy lock him up long term and if he’s not let him go. He’ll be off contract again at age 24, ie just entering his prime. If we assume 2020 is going to be not massively better than 2019 (as we don’t have cap room to make any major signings and the promising juniors are more than a year away) we will get exactly one season of Liddle in a potentially competitive team out of this contract.

I think it’s a good decision. He’s a good player but has been injury plagued and hasn’t proven that he can play 80 mins in the NRL.

So he gets enough time with the Tigers to demonstrate that he can stay fit before hitting the open market at 24.

He is way too big a risk to sign for longer than 2 years.

That’s one type of risk. The other is finding out that he’s good and either losing him or having to pay him way more after 2021.

Look, I don’t have particular insight into Jacob Liddle’s injuries or how well he’ll perform as a starting hooker in the NRL. I know the club has rated him highly for years. They obviously still rate him highly enough to give him a new contract. I also know that the Tigers as a club need to get value out of signing players before they’re able to command full value. We can’t supplement salaries significantly by legitimate or illegitimate means, so to compete we have to be smart about the contracts we offer.

We keep doing this. Look at Tedesco. He was the subject of a bidding war before he’d played first grade so the Tigers gave him a two year extension that took him to age 21. He lost his whole first season to an ACL and most of his third to a fractured kneecap. When he did the backflip on the Raiders we gave him another three-year deal which allowed him to hit free agency for the second time at the grand old age of 24. Do you think maybe we should have been a bit more ambitious with one of those contracts?

I think Tedesco would have left eventually no matter what. He’s a mercenary and wanted to go to another club for immediate success. As for Liddle, he may go on to be a great player, but he may also be a fizzer. Noone knows. He certainly has talent and is gutsy. But i’m not sure with his history of injuries and the fact we have signed a pretty decent kid from Queensland that you want to sign him long term. Just my opinion.

Well don’t sign him at all in that case. Why waste time and cap room developing a guy you don’t think is the long-term answer?

It’s not good enough to say “no-one knows”. Sure, you don’t know and I don’t know - but it’s the club’s job to know, or at least to have a bloody good idea. These half-measures deals are no use to anyone: all they do is give young players enough time to prove their value while still being able to play their entire prime on full whack contracts either for the Tigers or elsewhere.

The club needs to get off the damn fence and commit to the young players it thinks are keepers with long-term deals when they’re still available for less than what the club thinks their market value will be. Sometimes they’ll get it wrong, of course. But making those calls is what they’re paid to do.

There is very little advantage for clubs in a long contract, if a player is in demand you have to upgrade them anyway or they will find a way to leave. Give players 2-3 year contracts and give them other reasons to stay, good coach, chance for a premiership, stable and well managed club, make them feel important and looked after.

If you have to upgrade players every time they produce more value than their contract, why not just only ever offer one-year contracts? I’m being slightly facetious here but there is a serious point: people always say “contracts mean nothing nowadays”, but if it’s true that clubs get no benefit from longer-term deals they would probably be better off starting each November with a clean salary cap, surely?

@madunit said in Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle:

@Russell said in Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle:

Liddle is a big worry. He should’ve been pushing Farah out of the side this year. Instead we’re hitting 2020 with a starting hooker who has yet to play an 80 minute game, which means we’ll have to carry a play-maker on the bench instead of a utility back/forward.

The club should see if they get Harry Grant from the Qld Cup - that kid is a gun and way too good for that competition.

As if anyone was going to push Farah out this year. He was playing reasonably well and is one of Madge’s favorites. Liddle was lucky to get the amount of time he has gotten. How do you play 80 minutes if you are only given a maximum of 20 minutes - unless there are four of him, he can’t.

Liddle would not have pushed him out with a bulldozer.

Liddle can play 80 minutes don’t you worry about that, especially after a full off season to muscle up.

People say Liddle is too small, he is bigger than Farah and Grant is smaller than Farah - probably a couple of years away from NRL if he ever gets there.

Even in his 20 and 30 min stints, Liddle has not been better than Farah this year. He has a lot of flair, but he consistently struggles with the little 1%ers. Getting 20 minutes to be explosive should be something he uses to get 30 mins, than 40 mins.

Instead he’s not doing that. There’s a massive chasm between Farah and Liddle that should be concerning.

Yes, he has bootloads of potential. But we need actual form, runs on the board. He is the full-time 9 next year, he needs to be proving he’s ready and he just isn’t.

I think he has been consistently better than Farah but only in patches mainly because that is all the game time he has been given. If he was given the same game time he might have edged Robbie out.

Robbie has had some poor games this season. He has been good at times but I wouldn’t be surprised if the club helped him make the decision to retire. It’s time.

The question is will Liddle perform well enough next season but I think it’s worth a shot. I think Robbie wouldn’t have performed next season.

last edited by Earl

Liddle is a big worry. He should’ve been pushing Farah out of the side this year. Instead we’re hitting 2020 with a starting hooker who has yet to play an 80 minute game, which means we’ll have to carry a play-maker on the bench instead of a utility back/forward.

The club should see if they get Harry Grant from the Qld Cup - that kid is a gun and way too good for that competition.

As if anyone was going to push Farah out this year. He was playing reasonably well and is one of Madge’s favorites. Liddle was lucky to get the amount of time he has gotten. How do you play 80 minutes if you are only given a maximum of 20 minutes - unless there are four of him, he can’t.

Liddle can play 80 minutes don’t you worry about that, especially after a full off season to muscle up.

People say Liddle is too small, he is bigger than Farah and Grant is smaller than Farah - probably a couple of years away from NRL if he ever gets there.

Even in his 20 and 30 min stints, Liddle has not been better than Farah this year. He has a lot of flair, but he consistently struggles with the little 1%ers. Getting 20 minutes to be explosive should be something he uses to get 30 mins, than 40 mins.

Instead he’s not doing that. There’s a massive chasm between Farah and Liddle that should be concerning.

Yes, he has bootloads of potential. But we need actual form, runs on the board. He is the full-time 9 next year, he needs to be proving he’s ready and he just isn’t.

Totally disagree.

@colinbh said in Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle:

Totally disagree.

I also disagree, and what is in Liddle’s favour over Farah is his sheer speed…he looks great out of dummy half when he chances himself

@Earl said in Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle:

I think he has been consistently better than Farah but only in patches mainly because that is all the game time he has been given. If he was given the same game time he might have edged Robbie out.

Robbie has had some poor games this season. He has been good at times but I wouldn’t be surprised if the club helped him make the decision to retire. It’s time.

The question is will Liddle perform well enough next season but I think it’s worth a shot. I think Robbie wouldn’t have performed next season.

Agree with you

@tony-soprano said in Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle:

Agree with you

That is the big question mark, but were there assurances that Farah would become the great player he did? Or was he in the same boat all those years ago that Liddle is in now?

@OzLuke said in Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle:

Agree with you

That is the big question mark, but were there assurances that Farah would become the great player he did? Or was he in the same boat all those years ago that Liddle is in now?

Farah born ready

Agree with you

Hit the nail on the head Luke.

not sure why people are arguing this stuff. Robbie has this year and we will see Liddle next year. No way that is changing

@hodgo said in Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle:

not sure why people are arguing this stuff. Robbie has this year and we will see Liddle next year. No way that is changing

People not yet convinced with Liddle

Agree with you

Darren Senter says hello

@hodgo said in Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle:

People not yet convinced with Liddle

I am.

@hsvjones said in Wests Tigers re-sign Jacob Liddle:

@happy_tiger Not me… 4 forwards on the bench works for me at this stage as Farah can play 80 mins. It give us more firepower when needed but he will get his chance in due time… Don’t mess with something that is working

My question would be then why leave it 1however many rounds he has left it …

Why have faith Robbie will get 80 now with his back and neck problems

I don’t want to mess with a winning side either …it’s just strange I guess

@happy_tiger Not sure mate, I think he will get a run in the next 5 weeks when we face a team with more back / speed and don’t need the 4 forwards. Maybe manly next week he gets a run but that will be off the bench.