Lawrence to weigh up future after ruling out Super League move

• @rustycage said in Lawrence to weigh up future after ruling out Super League move:

“I have a young family to look after.” As if they’re on struggle street.

That is not actually what he said he though, he was talking about his family and the fact his business is more important to them moving forward then going overseas and playing!

• One more year…
    100k …
    Off the bench .

• 2 year deal would be perfect for him and club.
    I think the long service is worth 200k per year an I can see his value being just above that.
    The only other issue is we may need that spot in the 30 to sign someone else more high profile.
    I read we only have 3-4 spots left open at moment.

• I’m all for keeping him, surely he doesn’t break the bank with the long term concessions and is a great backup and bench player for the next year or two.
    I wouldn’t underestimate his impact on our culture and team morale. It says a lot about a club on the way they treat their longer term players
    I sort of feel we got it wrong previously with Heighno, Beau, Bryce Gibbs and even Benji and Robbie first time around. Hopefully we’ve learned our lesson

• Let’s see how he finishes the season.
    I really like him but he is a risk and any extension beyond 2020 season based on the said cap discount allowance … would be a definite no from me anyway.

• Think the No’s are a bit harsh - besides his current playing ability and off field contribution - he took a pay cut for us when we were in deep s… Time now to show a return contribution.

A year by year proposition, percentage of long term player allowance will help and I wouldn’t think he is after a massive amount. Ball park for me would be 200-250k.

Don’t think you would snavel anyone better for the same amount.

• Chris’s manager needs a kick in the pants for putting out this PR. It reflects badly on both Chris and the club.

To be honest, I’m a bit surprised that he’s considering going around for a few more years after some of the horror injuries he has had.

• I want Chris to re-sign, one of my all time favourite players who I admire massively. I just want to again point out that we do not need to re-sign Chris to receive the Long Serving player Allowance as we have a number of players who qualify for it!

• @Russell said in Lawrence to weigh up future after ruling out Super League move:

Think the No’s are a bit harsh - besides his current playing ability and off field contribution - he took a pay cut for us when we were in deep s… Time now to show a return contribution.

A year by year proposition, percentage of long term player allowance will help and I wouldn’t think he is after a massive amount. Ball park for me would be 200-250k.

Don’t think you would snavel anyone better for the same amount.

There’s a circular argument regarding his pay cut I suppose in that he really wasn’t worth what he was getting in many supporters eyes. I think everyone likes the guy, but is it beneficial to have him included in the squad? Plenty of opinions either way. My firm belief is that pretty much every player will milk their career for all they possibly can until they’re kind of shoved aside. I’d rather see him think of the team re-building - lol, there’s that word again, and move aside to really cram the joint with new blood, new energy and a new life. If ever there was a guy that should be considered tiger through and through it’s him. At 29, in my opinion, he should move on. Thanks but no thanks.

• No other NRL club is interested obviously. That’s telling you something.
    There is no offer from the Tigers. His sister was on MMM saying that nothing has been tabled and Chris is without a club next year.

• The only way we can keep him is if we offload at least two of our currently contracted back rowers. Probably McQueen and McIntyre. Otherwise we simply have way too many backrowers as it is, and mediocre back rowers at that.
    We have one top line back rower in Matterson. Then daylight. Garner shows potential but gets injured a lot and doesn’t break the line enough. MCK is a bench player, perfect for impact off the bench in the second half but totally ineffective as a starter. McQueen and McIntyre are just not up to first grade. Rochow is gone at least. Aloiai is exlusively a prop, while ET and Eiso can only play lock, and are somewhat limited in their capabilities.
    We can’t recruit solely on sentiment. We need a game breaking backrower to go alongside Matto. Garner has superseded Lawrence in our squad. For all his loyalty Lawrence is an injury prone, largely ineffective back rower with poor hands. All heart and courage but really a backup/rotational player.
    If we can offload our current ineffective backups then we can keep him. Really he should be considering retirement given the toll on his body and the fact he’s got an emerging business to manage.

• ForumSupporter

You want culture, work ethic, knows how to come back from adversity always puts TEAM before himself and a bloke that can still play…it’s Chris Lawrence…

Signing him is a no brainer for mine…

• Confident a deal will get done.

HOWEVER I would also say that this time of his career would represent an excellent time to go to England.

OK so he doesn’t want to go and he has his reasons, may have stuff to do with his young kid and his business, but he’ll get a few more years out of ESL and possibly a life-changing experience.

He can always set up a permanent base in Oz for the decades after he retires.

• That article was solely written to pressure the club ,please …I would not like to play for another club … Rowdy good luck with that !
    He wants the end of career Weststigers retirement fund the 200 to 300k just to play Reggie’s but it is just not that he takes up a position in the 30 that positive recruitment could fill with a young prospect …he should be the one announcing his retirement . If the club is serious about moving forward Rowdy should not be afforded the retirement fund . But some just do not know when to let go .

• I didn’t think Lawrence lost money on his previous contract. I thought the club paid the agreed amount over a longer period.

Recent Topics