Lawrence to weigh up future after ruling out Super League move

Need to take all emotion out of it… No from me… Use by date looming quick if not already

@cqtiger said in Lawrence to weigh up future after ruling out Super League move:

I didn’t think Lawrence lost money on his previous contract. I thought the club paid the agreed amount over a longer period.

So you wouldn’t regard instead of taking your wage for this year, spreading over the next 2 years as a loss of money?

I feel after his injury at the start of this year and the resulting weight and fitness loss that it is unfair to judge him on his 2019 form. I would be looking at his form from last year, where he was one of our best. I believe we will see a big improvement in his form next year after a full preseason of training!

Maybe win-win for WT and Lawrence is we say 1 more year, with a further 1-year option in clubs favour, but advise he really should be looking to retire end of 2020.

It would come down to money and how many years - I’d love to have him in the team but when PR like this pop up it suggests that management is asking overs for him for his next deal.

Interestingly they were cautious with the length of agreement with Jacob Liddle - 2yrs for a young fella.

I love Chris as much as everyone else, and he’s contract would probably be discounted due to service time with the club, but f he’s looking for anything more than the deal his on, which was reportedly 300k per year, then I’d be super cautious.

In hindsight, wouldn’t the club love a do-over on Packers, Mcqueens, Reynolds, and Mautilino’s contracts?? - Thats something like 750k, 400k, 800k, and 650k per year each respectively.

2.6 million locked up in those 4 players, and none of them have played consistent First Grade…

I am very much in 2 minds about this because of what he has done for the club over the years but there comes a time with every player where it is a case of diminishing returns.My honest feeling is that he should retire with his dignity and health this year, any contract extension risks both.I certainly dont want to see his career go a season too far and go out on a sad note like so many players do.

@Tiger_Bond said in Lawrence to weigh up future after ruling out Super League move:

I can see all the love for Lawrence but the question is what’s the maximum value that you would put on his contract and how many years?

2 years 249k p.a. Anymore goes in tax.

@happy_tiger said in Lawrence to weigh up future after ruling out Super League move:

IF you sign Rowdy it is on a year to year basis …and you couldn’t offer him more than 300 k …even including his long service

I think their is more risk than reward unfortunately

Agree.

@willow said in Lawrence to weigh up future after ruling out Super League move:

@happy_tiger said in Lawrence to weigh up future after ruling out Super League move:

IF you sign Rowdy it is on a year to year basis …and you couldn’t offer him more than 300 k …even including his long service

I think their is more risk than reward unfortunately

Agree.

and I think he would understand that as well. In reality what other club would want to sign him except maybe the Titans?? The ball I see is in the clubs favour, but it will show the junior players how the senior ones get treated. Big decision ahead.

@underdog said in Lawrence to weigh up future after ruling out Super League move:

In hindsight, wouldn’t the club love a do-over on Packers, Mcqueens, Reynolds, and Mautilino’s contracts?? - Thats something like 750k, 400k, 800k, and 650k per year each respectively.
2.6 million locked up in those 4 players, and none of them have played consistent First Grade…

You can’t include Matulino in with the others, as he had only missed a game or two since arriving, before injuring his knee this winter.

As for Lawrence, I can’t remove all emotions when considering his future, so he gets at least another season for mine.

@formerguest said in Lawrence to weigh up future after ruling out Super League move:

@underdog said in Lawrence to weigh up future after ruling out Super League move:

You can’t include Matulino in with the others, as he had only missed a game or two since arriving, before injuring his knee this winter.

As for Lawrence, I can’t remove all emotions when considering his future, so he gets at least another season for mine.

And I’m not sure what happened to Mcqueen…was it injury last year that put him on the back foot where he couldn’t quite get it back?

@Papacito said in Lawrence to weigh up future after ruling out Super League move:

Chris’s manager needs a kick in the pants for putting out this PR. It reflects badly on both Chris and the club.

To be honest, I’m a bit surprised that he’s considering going around for a few more years after some of the horror injuries he has had.

I thought he was responding to a question at a press conference

I reckon a year contract is the way to go. A lot too depends on what Taylor and McQueen are doing in 2020.

Needs to stay another year for many reasons, most importantly is his toughness.

Keep in mind we likely don’t have Robbie OR matulino (maybe McQueen) next year - Rowdy’s defence in the middle, even the first few games when he first returned was sterling, I looked for that professionalism in his approach, he passed with flying colours … if he says he’s good to go then for mine he is STILL one of the first picked… does that say something about the club’s lack of progress? Maybe…

last edited by DieHarder

@helmesy said in Lawrence to weigh up future after ruling out Super League move:

I reckon a year contract is the way to go. A lot too depends on what Taylor and McQueen are doing in 2020.

I think one year options are the way to go for Rowdy from here on out.