Time For Benji Marshall to Retire

• Time for Benji Marshall to retire. A summary of his round 21 game vs the Bulldogs:

• Dumb penalty which led to a try.
    • Intercept pass which directly led to a try.
    • 20 hospital passes.
    • Kicking game was worse than Ben Roberts in his prime.
    • No running game, which for a 6 is Darius Boyd-like.
    • Brought zero energy. Considering he was our captain after Mbye went off, that’s the most disappointing part.

He should’ve shown some leadership at the end there and taken the goal kick himself. It was irresponsible to allow Momirovski to take that kick.

Edit: Having sobered up and stopped crying I’ve come to realise my post may have been irrational. It’s not like we’re gonna pick up somebody better for the same price as Benji. Maybe Reynolds can stay fit and can push his spot next year. Although that’s 1 in a 100 chance of happening.

• He won’t

• i think next year its either benji or reynolds thats the options

• Should have kept Gamble

• @Kazoo-Kid I agree with all of what you said except the last part about no energy in terms of our attack (his energy put into leadership however is a different story), I actually think he did but what he did after was just typical rocks and diamonds from benji. I do think it’s time for Benji to retire and look for the future.

• @Kazoo-Kid I would prefer to keep Benji for another 3 years if that meant we could get rid of the purest of plodders in Brooks. Brooks offers nothing, never had anything and will not find anything in the future.

And this is coming from a WT fan that has always believed Benji is one of the most overrated players ever to play in the NRL.

• @Harvey said in Time For Benji Marshall to Retire:

Should have kept Gamble

That you Freddy?

• Definite no from me.
    He has another year in him. He made errors tonight but boy he can still play.

• He went into ‘benji overplay mode’ in the second half but you’re completely wrong about Benji. The team is absolutely shot without him there, so the dumb plays are annoying but he’s the best we’ve got. And your comment that he showed no energy is almost laughable, if anything he was trying too hard.

It’s all good to be critical of players, and Benji made some crucial mistakes, but this is way over the top and you probably should be a little more respectful.

• I hate the title of this thread too. Really dumb and embarrassing.

• Benji has always been a “rocks or diamonds” player, in his younger days you would get many diamonds as age catches up to him it is nearly all rocks.To me there is no point having him here next year as i can only see rocks on the conveyor belt next year.
    Like Robbie he should retire gracefully

• We have no other option that’s better. No cap room thanks to Cleary:

• @jadtiger said in Time For Benji Marshall to Retire:

Benji has always been a “rocks or diamonds” player, in his younger days you would get many diamonds as age catches up to him it is nearly all rocks.To me there is no point having him here next year as i can only see rocks on the conveyor belt next year.
    Like Robbie he should retire gracefully

Once again, that’s just not true. Benji’s been one of our best player this season and is probably in as good a form as he’s been since 2005. he had a bad second half (still put on the last two tries mind you) but players have bad games, all of them. I don’t know what you people are looking at. I’ll take him on a two year contract.

• @GNR4LIFE said in Time For Benji Marshall to Retire:

He won’t

His ego won’t let him .

• Do not want sound negative and he is a nice bloke, but he is the most overrated player I have seen in almost 5 decades of watching footy.

He has never been able to lead a team to the semis, never been able to come through in must win games when the main guy.

1 great player for every 5 duds does not make a player great.

Again, hate to say it, but why do we keep expecting any different each year? Benji as a side stepping kid was great.

Benji as your supposedly mature ‘leader’ has never worked.

Dogs 6-7-9-14 today were state cup players and yet it was Benji the one who lost the game.

9 years now without semis now.

All we needed today was a solid, COMPOSED number 6.

Same failure as every other year though.

The whole Benji thing needs to end.

For those who want him to stay on, here is one simple question: why will Benji in 2020 be any different?

Recent Topics