Be Kind

@tigerbalm said in Be Kind:

@Geo

Seems like a wiki cut n paste.

Dig a bit deeper than the first result you googled and have a read. I dont think its that cut and dry. Especially when you look at the differences between social media and social network.

My humble opinion, a message board, much like a town crier reading out the village notices in a town square 300 years ago is not what people think of when discussing Social Media which gets me back to my point in that its petty to jump on a guy cause he is happy thinking he was not using social media.

Meh. Not even the off season yet.

So are you say things posted on forums not so much this one as it is well moderated can’t have the same effect as if it was posted on FB or instagram…?

Jesus, some people are petty.

We all know the guy meant social media as in FB/ twitter / insta etc… why focus on that? also I think it could be said that a traditional internet forum or message board would not be classed as social media.

Thanks Tigerbalm, it seems someone understood.

My point is nobody is forcing anyone to share their lives on these platforms, in doing so they open themselves up to all kinds of abuse ‘cough’ Israel Falou ‘cough’ (I’m not condoning the abuse) but if they can’t take it then not using social media is the best way to avoid it.

Apparently people don’t like to be told that it seems, it’s almost as if I’m saying something wrong by suggesting it.
So instead of actually discussing what I said they want to argue over the definition of what social media is and try to insinuate that I’m a hypocrite for contributing to a footy forum that in their eyes counts as social media, knowing full well that I was referring to FB Twitter etc like you said.

I’d be interested in the ages of the ones who object to my suggestion, I’m wondering if they grew up ‘pre internet/social media’

@Geo said in Be Kind:

We all know the guy meant social media as in FB/ twitter / insta etc… why focus on that? also I think it could be said that a traditional internet forum or message board would not be classed as social media.

Disagree,

forms of electronic communication (as Web sites for social networking and microblogging) through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content (as videos)

1.a network of friends, colleagues, and other personal contacts:

2.Digital Technology.
an online community of people with a common interest who use a website or other technologies to communicate with each other and share information, resources, etc.:
a business-oriented social network.
a website or online service that facilitates this communication.

In essence this forum ticks all boxes…

No where anonymity comes into it… in fact the anonymity lets people let out there keyboard heroism a lot easier than perhaps they would if they weren’t anonymous

Things posted on here could have an adverse effect on players as pointed out in the original post…

So what would you say to your son or daughter who is the victim of abuse on FB, Twitter, Instagram?

Because I’d say “don’t go on any of them” problem solved.

@TIGER said in Be Kind:

My point is nobody is forcing anyone to share their lives on these platforms, in doing so they open themselves up to all kinds of abuse ‘cough’ Israel Falou ‘cough’ (I’m not condoning the abuse) but if they can’t take it then not using social media is the best way to avoid it.

Apparently people don’t like to be told that it seems, it’s almost as if I’m saying something wrong by suggesting it.
So instead of actually discussing what I said they want to argue over the definition of what social media is and try to insinuate that I’m a hypocrite for contributing to a footy forum that in their eyes counts as social media, knowing full well that I was referring to FB Twitter etc like you said.

I’d be interested in the ages of the ones who object to my suggestion, I’m wondering if they grew up ‘pre internet/social media’

I agree with everything you said. But also found it ironic you claimed to not use social media, when this forum classifies.

@GNR4LIFE said in Be Kind:

@TIGER said in Be Kind:

I agree with everything you said. But also found it ironic you claimed to not use social media, when this forum classifies.

I couldn’t care less if you think it classifies.
I beg to differ, but I’m not interested in arguing over what qualifies as social media, it’s missing the point entirely.

What would you do if your son or daughter was the victim of abuse on FB, Twitter or the West’s Tigers Forum for that matter?

@TIGER said in Be Kind:

@GNR4LIFE said in Be Kind:

@TIGER said in Be Kind:

I couldn’t care less if you think it classifies.
I beg to differ, but I’m not interested in arguing over what qualifies as social media, it’s missing the point entirely.

What would you do if your son or daughter was the victim of abuse on FB, Twitter or the West’s Tigers Forum for that matter?

You didn’t read the part where I said I agreed with you? Why you asking me?

@Geo

It definitely can an i may have misunderstood from the start if that’s your point.

Still, I’m a little unsure on your argument though. If you are saying a forum can have the equal amount of mental damage as Facebook, i agree but does that make it social media? i remember at school kids writing stuff on the walls of the boys toilets which may have embarrassed and upset the guy being written about, especially if it was read by all his peers. Same result but that doesn’t make the toilet block part of the Social Media.

I just want to say, sorry Mick. I didn’t mean it and your mother is a lovely women.

@matchball said in Be Kind:

@formerguest said in Be Kind:

@TIGER said in Be Kind:

I have never read anything disgusting about me on social media do you know why?

Because I’m not on it!!!

There’s a good way to make sure you’re never the victim of abuse on social media.
Imo if you want to be on social media you take the good with the bad, if you can’t handle the bad nobody is forcing you to be on it or read it.

I’ve managed to live for 40yrs without ever needing to be on social media, I get along just fine.

Gotta give it to you, in that you are bold in your statements, even if I think they are ridiculous, but this one takes the cake as a clanger. Serious question, what do you think this forum is, if not social media?

It’s not. Users are anonymous and we don’t share pics of our kids or latest food selfies.

I don’t know anyone on this forum from a bar of soap.

This sounds like most of the trolls on social media. Hide behind a profile and fire shots at others.

If you’ve ever ran out in a Wests Tigers jersey, even if it was just for one game, you have my eternal respect*

*Matt Lodge excluded.

The people having a go at Momo probably had money on Tigers to win so they had a personal go at him for their money going down the drain.

As for gutter people on Twitter (I don’t do FB) just block them. I’ve had some foul and abusive replies to some of my tweets but I just block them. Never heard from them again. I also have my own rule now where I refuse to get foul or abusive to others (except for maybe a few replies to abusive people very early on my Twitter history).

Of course this is social media, I wouldn’t know any better way to describe what an internet forum is than social media. But of course I understood what the guy meant by social media being the big ones, so I agree its pointless to have a go at somebody over that.

Regarding kids,I would let my children on Facebook, I would just give advice and council. You don’t really get trolled on facebook unless you accept trolls as friends or you reply in the comments on public facebook posts/news posts - which is always a terrible idea and you can never win IMO 🙂 Others are more risky.

@TIGER said in Be Kind:

Because I’m not on it!!!

There’s a good way to make sure you’re never the victim of abuse on social media.
Imo if you want to be on social media you take the good with the bad, if you can’t handle the bad nobody is forcing you to be on it or read it.

I’ve managed to live for 40yrs without ever needing to be on social media, I get along just fine.

Lol… You may be anonymous but you’re on social media

@TIGER said in Be Kind:

@Geo said in Be Kind:

Disagree,

forms of electronic communication (as Web sites for social networking and microblogging) through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content (as videos)

1.a network of friends, colleagues, and other personal contacts:

2.Digital Technology.
an online community of people with a common interest who use a website or other technologies to communicate with each other and share information, resources, etc.:
a business-oriented social network.
a website or online service that facilitates this communication.

In essence this forum ticks all boxes…

No where anonymity comes into it… in fact the anonymity lets people let out there keyboard heroism a lot easier than perhaps they would if they weren’t anonymous

Things posted on here could have an adverse effect on players as pointed out in the original post…

So what would you say to your son or daughter who is the victim of abuse on FB, Twitter, Instagram?

Because I’d say “don’t go on any of them” problem solved.

It is not as simple as saying don’t use it, social media is a norm in the lives of teenagers now. That is how they communicate, that is how they interact, much like how we used to call our friends to socialize or organise something. All that is now done online. Online bullying is much more complex than just saying don’t use it.

@Harvey said in Be Kind:

@matchball said in Be Kind:

@formerguest said in Be Kind:

@TIGER said in Be Kind:

Because I’m not on it!!!

Gotta give it to you, in that you are bold in your statements, even if I think they are ridiculous, but this one takes the cake as a clanger. Serious question, what do you think this forum is, if not social media?

It’s not. Users are anonymous and we don’t share pics of our kids or latest food selfies.

I don’t know anyone on this forum from a bar of soap.

This sounds like most of the trolls on social media. Hide behind a profile and fire shots at others.

Basically yes.
Those are the worst kind.
This forum is civil most of the time and most of the banter is just passionate fans venting.

I’m not on any form of social media, it’s actually anti social media in my opinion.
Nothing social about interactions over a device screen.

i remember at school kids writing stuff on the walls of the boys toilets which may have embarrassed and upset the guy being written about, especially if it was read by all his peers.

In the days before social media, toilet walls were like a notice board there to be read by all pee-ers 🤣 Sorry couldn’t resist.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.