Be Kind

• Phew! I just got through 5 pages but by the end all I retained was someone using a quote from The Outsiders.
    Anyway, be excellent to each other.

• @TheDaBoss said in Be Kind:

@innsaneink said in Be Kind:

@TheDaBoss said in Be Kind:

@cochise said in Be Kind:

@TIGER said in Be Kind:

@TIGER said in Be Kind:

@TIGER said in Be Kind:

@Geo said in Be Kind:

@tigerbalm said in Be Kind:

Jesus, some people are petty.

We all know the guy meant social media as in FB/ twitter / insta etc… why focus on that? also I think it could be said that a traditional internet forum or message board would not be classed as social media.

Disagree,

forms of electronic communication (as Web sites for social networking and microblogging) through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content (as videos)

1.a network of friends, colleagues, and other personal contacts:

2.Digital Technology.
    an online community of people with a common interest who use a website or other technologies to communicate with each other and share information, resources, etc.:
    a business-oriented social network.
    a website or online service that facilitates this communication.

In essence this forum ticks all boxes…

No where anonymity comes into it… in fact the anonymity lets people let out there keyboard heroism a lot easier than perhaps they would if they weren’t anonymous

Things posted on here could have an adverse effect on players as pointed out in the original post…

So what would you say to your son or daughter who is the victim of abuse on FB, Twitter, Instagram?

Because I’d say “don’t go on any of them” problem solved.

It is not as simple as saying don’t use it, social media is a norm in the lives of teenagers now. That is how they communicate, that is how they interact, much like how we used to call our friends to socialize or organise something. All that is now done online. Online bullying is much more complex than just saying don’t use it.

Is it?
    As I said I’ve never been bullied on social media because I’m not on it.

Please tell me a more affective way to not be a victim of abuse on social media than to not be on it?

I’ve got friends who work in the legal system and deal with this stuff everyday (and business is booming by the way) their advise to victims is to close your accounts, they can’t get to you if you’re not available.

You seem to think that nobody can live without it, I’m an example of someone who lives without it, I still manage to contact my friends. (You can call a footy forum social media if you like I don’t care)

I’m really interested in hearing your more effective way.

Mate, I am a person who lives without Facebook or Twitter etc. I spent a large part of my life as a teacher and dealt with this stuff everyday, when it comes to technology I believe in dealing with the problem regardless of the tech involved. Just turning around and saying don’t use it is a simplistic view of the issue because

1. Most kids will not give it up, so it’s not effective

2. It actually creates a lot of the same problems you are trying to fix as it can lead to the kids being isolated from their friends as that is the way they connect now.

So when I have dealt with kids who were being bullied online I dealt with it as if they were being bullied in a traditional sense. I gave consequences to the kids involved if they attended my school, if they didn’t I taught the kids how to block those giving them a hard time and taught coping mechanisms for dealing with bullies. Same I would do if they were being being bullied offline!

And from what I’m hearing it’s not working, and I’m not only talking about kids.

That’s because it is not being dealt with, it is put in the too hard basket or people say don’t use social media. Bullying has always been there and has always been dealt with poorly, both online and offline. The issue with cyber bullying is that it doesn’t end a 3pm, when we were kids you would be bullied and 3 o’clock would come around and you would be free of your tormentor until the next day, with cyber bullying the bully comes home with you into your loungeroom and into your bedroom.

There are ways to deal with but us parents and as a society we are doing a really bad job educating our kids on how to deal with bullies.

Honestly what you are suggesting is akin to if your parents told you to hide in the bathroom until the school day finished. Doesn’t really deal with the problem and actually created more by isolating people further!

Never have used Twitter, facebook, insta and other similar websites and never will

How old are you?

me? 16

Get out NOW while you can !

• @hobbo1 said in Be Kind:

@innsaneink said in Be Kind:

@TIGER said in Be Kind:

@TIGER said in Be Kind:

@TIGER said in Be Kind:

@Geo said in Be Kind:

@tigerbalm said in Be Kind:

Jesus, some people are petty.

We all know the guy meant social media as in FB/ twitter / insta etc… why focus on that? also I think it could be said that a traditional internet forum or message board would not be classed as social media.

Disagree,

forms of electronic communication (as Web sites for social networking and microblogging) through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content (as videos)

1.a network of friends, colleagues, and other personal contacts:

2.Digital Technology.
    an online community of people with a common interest who use a website or other technologies to communicate with each other and share information, resources, etc.:
    a business-oriented social network.
    a website or online service that facilitates this communication.

In essence this forum ticks all boxes…

No where anonymity comes into it… in fact the anonymity lets people let out there keyboard heroism a lot easier than perhaps they would if they weren’t anonymous

Things posted on here could have an adverse effect on players as pointed out in the original post…

So what would you say to your son or daughter who is the victim of abuse on FB, Twitter, Instagram?

Because I’d say “don’t go on any of them” problem solved.

It is not as simple as saying don’t use it, social media is a norm in the lives of teenagers now. That is how they communicate, that is how they interact, much like how we used to call our friends to socialize or organise something. All that is now done online. Online bullying is much more complex than just saying don’t use it.

Is it?
    As I said I’ve never been bullied on social media because I’m not on it.

Please tell me a more affective way to not be a victim of abuse on social media than to not be on it?

I’ve got friends who work in the legal system and deal with this stuff everyday (and business is booming by the way) their advise to victims is to close your accounts, they can’t get to you if you’re not available.

You seem to think that nobody can live without it, I’m an example of someone who lives without it, I still manage to contact my friends. (You can call a footy forum social media if you like I don’t care)

I’m really interested in hearing your more effective way.

Mate, I am a person who lives without Facebook or Twitter etc. I spent a large part of my life as a teacher and dealt with this stuff everyday, when it comes to technology I believe in dealing with the problem regardless of the tech involved. Just turning around and saying don’t use it is a simplistic view of the issue because

1. Most kids will not give it up, so it’s not effective

2. It actually creates a lot of the same problems you are trying to fix as it can lead to the kids being isolated from their friends as that is the way they connect now.

So when I have dealt with kids who were being bullied online I dealt with it as if they were being bullied in a traditional sense. I gave consequences to the kids involved if they attended my school, if they didn’t I taught the kids how to block those giving them a hard time and taught coping mechanisms for dealing with bullies. Same I would do if they were being being bullied offline!

And from what I’m hearing it’s not working, and I’m not only talking about kids.

That’s because it is not being dealt with, it is put in the too hard basket or people say don’t use social media. Bullying has always been there and has always been dealt with poorly, both online and offline. The issue with cyber bullying is that it doesn’t end a 3pm, when we were kids you would be bullied and 3 o’clock would come around and you would be free of your tormentor until the next day, with cyber bullying the bully comes home with you into your loungeroom and into your bedroom.

There are ways to deal with but us parents and as a society we are doing a really bad job educating our kids on how to deal with bullies.

Honestly what you are suggesting is akin to if your parents told you to hide in the bathroom until the school day finished. Doesn’t really deal with the problem and actually created more by isolating people further!

Never have used Twitter, facebook, insta and other similar websites and never will

How old are you?

me? 16

Get out NOW while you can !

you mean as a tigers fan? to late, im addicted

• @cochise said in Be Kind:

@TIGER said in Be Kind:

You say that as if because they’ve grown up with it, they have to use it, it’s bollocks!!
    Nobody is holding a gun to their head forcing them to read what’s posted about them on social media.
    Uninstall the app. Problem solved

I am not saying they have to use it, I am saying the majority will choose to use it anyway! If you don’t realise that then you literally have no understanding of the situation.

Well if they choose to go back to the place where the abuse is coming from then they can’t go whinging about what’s being said about them, they must enjoy the drama if they can’t help themselves but go back.

It’s like a victim of domestic violence that keep going back to the person that beats them, then complaining their being beaten.
    Like I said, if you lay with dogs you’re gonna get fleas.

• @TIGER said in Be Kind:

Well if they choose to go back to the place where the abuse is coming from then they can’t go whinging about what’s being said about them, they must enjoy the drama if they can’t help themselves but go back.

Oh yeah, run and hide and let the bullies win, great strategy. What about the other positive things that they believe they get from social media, just forgo those instead of addressing the cause of the issues?

@TIGER said in Be Kind:

Social media abuse wasn’t an issue before social media, we still have the ability to make social media disappear, stop acting like we don’t.

No but we had plenty of bullying anyway! I am not saying not to tell kids to get off social media, I have said it to many kids! but guess what? the vast majority of the time they still use it, it is not an effective strategy and doesn’t work.

@TIGER said in Be Kind:

If you don’t pick up your phone and press the icon, guess what???
    You can’t read what’s being said about you!
    It’s amazing.

You are just avoiding the problem though, in a lot of cases the bullying will still happen but just in a different way!

Correct, I’m avoiding the problem, isn’t that what where trying to achieve?

Much easier to protect yourself face to face, there’s usually other people around to witness/help you etc, and it’s probably only one person you have to deal with.
    Social media is a different story, you’re by yourself and open to attacks from anyone and at anytime.
    Completely different

• ForumSupporter

@PD77 said in Be Kind:

Phew! I just got through 5 pages but by the end all I retained was someone using a quote from The Outsiders.

Was one of my best I thought…thanks for noticing…

Much easier to protect yourself face to face, there’s usually other people around to witness/help you etc, and it’s probably only one person you have to deal with.
    Social media is a different story, you’re by yourself and open to attacks from anyone and at anytime.
    Completely different

Most cases it isn’t much different to bullying face to face, believe it or not most cyber bullying occurs from someone the person knows.

@TIGER said in Be Kind:

Oh yeah, run and hide and let the bullies win, great strategy. What about the other positive things that they believe they get from social media, just forgo those instead of addressing the cause of the issues?

Well I suppose that’s what you have to weigh up, does the good outweigh the bad?
    It’s a decision only the individual can make.
    And bet your ass I’ll run and hide, what do you suggest, stay and fight?
    If someone is chasing you with a baseball bat and you run and hide, is that letting them win?
    It’s called self preservation, avoid the situation is what I’m saying, take the chance of being abused out of the picture.

I’m sure the good can be obtained by other means, as I’ve said, I get in just fine without it, never been on it, never felt the need to and probably never will.
    Humans got on just fine before the internet.

@TIGER said in Be Kind:

Well I suppose that’s what you have to weigh up, does the good outweigh the bad?

I’m sure the good can be obtained by other means, as I’ve said, I get in just fine without it, never been on it, never felt the need to and probably never will.

Yeah but that can be said about literally anything, humans got on just fine before the car was invented, travel was obtained by other means. Lots of people are killed and injured in car accidents but we still decide to use a car.

And bet your ass I’ll run and hide, what do you suggest, stay and fight?
    If someone is chasing you with a baseball bat and you run and hide, is that letting them win?
    It’s called self preservation, avoid the situation is what I’m saying, take the chance of being abused out of the picture.

Which is fair enough too, but for example will you now not go into the city after the events of yesterday or would you prefer measure be put in place to make your tip into the city safer?

• @TIGER I hope you know that I am not having a go at you, I’d hate for you to feel like I was attacking you in this sort of thread! I just think the solution of “get off social media” does not address this issue adequately!

@TIGER said in Be Kind:

@TIGER said in Be Kind:

Yeah but that can be said about literally anything, humans got on just fine before the car was invented, travel was obtained by other means. Lots of people are killed and injured in car accidents but we still decide to use a car.

Are you really equating the need for transportation with social media? Really?

Take my car away and my current way of living will become pretty difficult.
    Take social media away and I think we’ll be just fine.
    I get on fine without social media.

You must have a pretty heavy addiction to it though by the sounds of how hard your trying to defend it.
    Have you spoken to someone about this, or are you in denial?
    How many hours a day are you at now?
    How many times do you check your phone a day?
    Addicted much, you must be a full blown junkie, get help man, it’s not too late.

Put it down, turn it off, go for a walk in the bush, smell the roses.

You must have a pretty heavy addiction to it though by the sounds of how hard your trying to defend it.
    Have you spoken to someone about this, or are you in denial?
    How many hours a day are you at now?
    How many times do you check your phone a day?
    Addicted much, you must be a full blown junkie, get help man, it’s not too late.
    Put it down, turn it off, go for a walk in the bush, smell the roses.

Funny thing is I don’t use facebook, twitter etc at all, I really do not like them. If I haven’t spoken to you in 10 years there is usually a reason for that and I am not interested in hearing about your life lol

@TIGER said in Be Kind:

Are you really equating the need for transportation with social media? Really?

To many young people social media is as important as transportation.

• @Geo said in Be Kind:

@PD77 said in Be Kind:

Phew! I just got through 5 pages but by the end all I retained was someone using a quote from The Outsiders.

Was one of my best I thought…thanks for noticing…

Well it was very good but to be honest I’m gutted that you didn’t notice my Bill & Ted reference. Disappointing.

Recent Topics