Garner suspended

• Absolute joke!
    Do they take into account the player being sin banned when handing down suspensions?

I can understand a penalty, considering the crackdown.
    The sin bin was a total shock.
    And suspension makes no sense given Burgess getting off and the fact Luke was sin binned.

• We must have presented a rubbish defence… can’t believe he was cited let alone suspended!

• You put a lot of genuinely funny stuff on here @happy_tiger but you also write some rubbish re your “we got lucky in 2005”.

• @bathursttiger said in Garner suspended:

@851 said in Garner suspended:

@hobbo1 said in Garner suspended:

@willow said in Garner suspended:

Wow…I’m still stunned he was even charged but suspended…what planet are these people from???

Does this mean the NRL have drawn a line in the sand in regards to late hits ?

Only if your wearing a Tigers jersey 😡

Smith copped the same charge, didn’t bother fighting it

Because he didn’t have any carry over points and was free to play this round either way.

That is true, but I saw on FOX that Canterbury said they wouldn’t risk going to the judiciary to fight it, even though they were not happy with the charge, because they had too many injuries and didn’t want to lose him

• @jirskyr said in Garner suspended:

@WT2K said in Garner suspended:

Storm player not even cited for this on the weekend

https://twitter.com/PCFunpolice/status/1161211971632418822?s=19

That’s a good pickup.

However unlike some others in this thread, I don’t believe in the conspiracy theory that the NRL is anti-Tigers. The idea of the governing body trying to pressure outcomes or providing favouritism, with some desired end-goal like relocation, makes no sense to me. NRL does not want any permanently bottom-dwelling sides, because it’s bad for ratings and revenue.

Now if the NRL really did want poor teams or crowded Sydney teams to fold, they’d simply remove the salary cap and reduce the per-club grant. Very quickly there’d be some brutal attrition that would rationalise the affordable and non-affordable operations.

But give it some thought - not only does the NRL provide grants in excess of the salary cap, i.e. in effect they cover all player salaries, but they have actively propped up a number of organisations with cashflow problems - Titans, Tigers, Newcastle, Dragons.

So how you can suggest that NRL are trying to rub Tigers out, or move them on, when they granted Balmain a loan, is crazy talk. Yes they want to expand and yes the obvious method would be relocation, however nobody can say with confidence what happens if there is a forced or even “natural” relocation of a club. The loss of the Bears is still a sore point for many people; people haven’t even forgotten the Jets in the almost 40 years since they were punted.

Now in regards to the late hits, I simply think the NRL have bitten off more than they can chew. I understand what they are trying to do, and policing of attacks on kickers has worked out very well, but it’s a different thing altogether looking at players running into the defence and passing.

I don’t think the NRL have given enough thought to the fallout of binning and charging players for borderline late contact on passers. Obvious late contact is something else, but split-second stuff… there are upwards of 600 tackles made every game and a significant number of these are made on players who are lining up to pass.

For every Garner incident they catch, I guarantee that fans can find and post 10 other instances that were let off. They won’t be able to keep consistency on it. Like the ruck penalty onslaught at the start of 2018, the refs are not going to be able to keep control and it’s going to become a farce.

So favouritism aside, I just don’t think they’ve thought it through enough. Ricky Stuart is correct when he says that the Refs Bosses are making things too difficult for the refs, giving them too many things to look out for during matches… they are being set up to fail.

How dare you! a well written and comprehensively logical reply!? this is the Wests Tigers forum thank you very much!! Cease this madness!

• I like your sense of humor @Zach. Have a great day ☺

• @Toowoomba_Tiger said in Garner suspended:

Absolute joke!
    Do they take into account the player being sin banned when handing down suspensions?

I can understand a penalty, considering the crackdown.
    The sin bin was a total shock.
    And suspension makes no sense given Burgess getting off and the fact Luke was sin binned.

That’s true. the sin binnning had a huge impact on the game as we were already down 2 players. It changed the way we played to a more conservative plan and as was mentioned in another thread we never really recovered from that conservatism. We then get penalised again this week by having a first choice player unavailable. Its like a double whammy.

Recent Topics