Garner suspended

• @TYGA said in Garner suspended:

Tigers better off not showing to the judiciary. Not a place for battlers. Burgess gets off taking a blokes head off and Garner suspended.

My understanding is the NRL are trying to protect players due to looming law suits, therefore all these late hits are being punished heavily. But THIS contradicts the hell out of what they supposedly stand for. Moylan was almost decapitated by Burgess and subsequently missed a game due to the effects of a concussion, yet Burgess misses no game time.

Ask any fan or player which is the more dangerous tackle.

• yeah wow…clearly wearing the wrong jersey

• When are all you people going to wake up ! Until this club gets some back bone nothing will change… The clubs that have STRONG leadership get the respect of the governing body . When was the last time anyone has seen the Chairman talking and fronting the media … when was the last time anyone has seen the CEO of late in any capacity! When was the last time the board has made a major decision that would change the course of the club!
    You all keep wondering why the players show no determination to win , well here is a scoop for you all until our club shows some determination and drive to be successful the NRL will continue to treat our club as they do . We support a club that does not want to make waves they just want to make up the numbers . Do not blame the NRL ! direct your anger where it should be at your club …

• @WT2K said in Garner suspended:

Storm player not even cited for this on the weekend

https://twitter.com/PCFunpolice/status/1161211971632418822?s=19

Doesn’t surprise me in the least and unlike Garner’s, where the ball had only just left his hands, the ball was in the storm scum receivers arms when he was hit.

I am still still surprised that a penalty was even blown days after the fact, whilst disgusted and angry that Luke was cited, let alone subsequently banned.

• @Snake said in Garner suspended:

When are all you people going to wake up ! Until this club gets some back bone nothing will change… The clubs that have STRONG leadership get the respect of the governing body . When was the last time anyone has seen the Chairman talking and fronting the media … when was the last time anyone has seen the CEO of late in any capacity! When was the last time the board has made a major decision that would change the course of the club!
    You all keep wondering why the players show no determination to win , well here is a scoop for you all until our club shows some determination and drive to be successful the NRL will continue to treat our club as they do . We support a club that does not want to make waves they just want to make up the numbers . Do not blame the NRL ! direct your anger where it should be at your club …

The thing is Snake, no club administration should have to dance around, front the media and blow their own trumpet in order to be respected and treated fairly by the governing body. Maybe I’m being utopian, but I expect that a decent, non-corrupt governing body would treat every club in its competition equally.

• @Snake said in Garner suspended:

When are all you people going to wake up ! Until this club gets some back bone nothing will change… The clubs that have STRONG leadership get the respect of the governing body . When was the last time anyone has seen the Chairman talking and fronting the media … when was the last time anyone has seen the CEO of late in any capacity! When was the last time the board has made a major decision that would change the course of the club!

You know, just for once I agree with you. A lot of things you say about the board are total rubbish in my eyes but they do need to start demanding explanations from HQ on how come certain clubs are dealt with differently than others. Not just on this issue but across the board. What else can they do? tear up the licence? the club does need to step up.

• @diedpretty Agreed. This is one judiciary decision that makes no sense. As people have said, if Lewis doesn’t pass and Garner pulls out of the tackle, then Lewis can go over the try line untouched.

The NRL are the ultimate reactive governing body. Every season you can guarantee that mid-season they’ll change rules or interpretations of them. No notice given. And it has a huge impact on clubs. That’s what I’d be suing about.

• ForumSupporter

The Burgess case is another example of a flawed system …he didn’t get off …he actually pleaded guilty but challenged the grading the charge …It was downgraded from Grade 2 to Grade 1 which meant he doesn’t miss a game but now carries 75 points…

Next time he is cited for even breaking a nail he’ll do time…it’s why Unca was so angry wouldn’t surprise if he’s out again this week with a ‘calf strain’…

Same thing happened to Maloney last week his tripping charge in itself wouldn’t normally cost a game with an early plea but as he had carry over points he pleaded not guilty as taking the early plea meant he missed a game regardless…

• Well said @Spud_Murphy ✌

• @WT2K said in Garner suspended:

Storm player not even cited for this on the weekend

https://twitter.com/PCFunpolice/status/1161211971632418822?s=19

That’s a good pickup.

However unlike some others in this thread, I don’t believe in the conspiracy theory that the NRL is anti-Tigers. The idea of the governing body trying to pressure outcomes or providing favouritism, with some desired end-goal like relocation, makes no sense to me. NRL does not want any permanently bottom-dwelling sides, because it’s bad for ratings and revenue.

Now if the NRL really did want poor teams or crowded Sydney teams to fold, they’d simply remove the salary cap and reduce the per-club grant. Very quickly there’d be some brutal attrition that would rationalise the affordable and non-affordable operations.

But give it some thought - not only does the NRL provide grants in excess of the salary cap, i.e. in effect they cover all player salaries, but they have actively propped up a number of organisations with cashflow problems - Titans, Tigers, Newcastle, Dragons.

So how you can suggest that NRL are trying to rub Tigers out, or move them on, when they granted Balmain a loan, is crazy talk. Yes they want to expand and yes the obvious method would be relocation, however nobody can say with confidence what happens if there is a forced or even “natural” relocation of a club. The loss of the Bears is still a sore point for many people; people haven’t even forgotten the Jets in the almost 40 years since they were punted.

Now in regards to the late hits, I simply think the NRL have bitten off more than they can chew. I understand what they are trying to do, and policing of attacks on kickers has worked out very well, but it’s a different thing altogether looking at players running into the defence and passing.

I don’t think the NRL have given enough thought to the fallout of binning and charging players for borderline late contact on passers. Obvious late contact is something else, but split-second stuff… there are upwards of 600 tackles made every game and a significant number of these are made on players who are lining up to pass.

For every Garner incident they catch, I guarantee that fans can find and post 10 other instances that were let off. They won’t be able to keep consistency on it. Like the ruck penalty onslaught at the start of 2018, the refs are not going to be able to keep control and it’s going to become a farce.

So favouritism aside, I just don’t think they’ve thought it through enough. Ricky Stuart is correct when he says that the Refs Bosses are making things too difficult for the refs, giving them too many things to look out for during matches… they are being set up to fail.

• I concur @rustycage ✌

• G’day @Geo: what sort of a dude are you? I don’t think anyone on this Forum seriously believes Garner was suspended due to the fact he wears a Wests Tigers jersey. We are all just showing frustration, and I would have thought you would have been smart enough to not be sucked in to making a comment like that. Flawed system…yes!!!

• ForumSupporter

@MAGPIES1963 said in Garner suspended:

G’day @Geo: what sort of a dude are you? I don’t think anyone on this Forum seriously believes Garner was suspended due to the fact he wears a Wests Tigers jersey. We are all just showing frustration, and I would have thought you would have been smart enough to not be sucked in to making a comment like that. Flawed system…yes!!!

Disagree…I think some Wests Tigers fans do believe Garner was suspended because he wears our jersey and not a Rorters Storm or Souff’s one…

• @Geo said in Garner suspended:

@MAGPIES1963 said in Garner suspended:

G’day @Geo: what sort of a dude are you? I don’t think anyone on this Forum seriously believes Garner was suspended due to the fact he wears a Wests Tigers jersey. We are all just showing frustration, and I would have thought you would have been smart enough to not be sucked in to making a comment like that. Flawed system…yes!!!

Disagree…I think some Wests Tigers fans do believe Garner was suspended because he wears our jersey and not a Rorters Storm or Souff’s one…

He was banned because Lachlan is related to Wally and Luke isn’t related to Joel

• @Geo well I disagree with you mate, but anyway.
    I’d like to know what ‘you’ think about a claim made by one of the Wests Magpies players prior to the Iconic 1963 Grand Final Wests Magpies V Saints game commencing stating he overheard the referee saying he would not let Wests win the game!!!

Recent Topics