Perth wins bid to host return of NRL club Nines

• Perth will host the club-based NRL nines competition when the pre-season event returns to the calendar next year.

While the contract hasn’t officially been inked, the city will pip Newcastle and Melbourne’s bids to stage the return of the abbreviated version of the game. The matches will be staged at the 20,000-seat HBF Stadium, the home of A-League side Perth Glory. The development is a huge coup for Perth, which is pushing to introduce an NRL franchise should Rugby League Central opt to expand the game. The governing body is in the process of formulating a blueprint for the game’s future, a piece of work that will be delivered after the conclusion of the season.

The three cities jockeying for hosting Nines rights all put in competitive bids for the two-day event, which will be the first official rugby league event of the 2020 season in mid-February. However, the Western Australian government upped the ante after successfully hosting the second State of Origin game at Optus in June. A crowd of almost 60,000 witnessed NSW’s 38-6 victory, the match providing a financial windfall to organisers and for the city via the associated tourism revenue.

The Canterbury Bulldogs recently committed to taking one game to HBF Stadium per season for the next three years in an indication of the appetite for rugby league in the city.

The Nines were held in Auckland for four years from 2014, although the fixture was taken off the schedule due to player workload concerns revolving around the last Rugby League World Cup. There were fears the concept would not be revived, but fans will soon get to experience two Nines tournaments in the space of four months. The Rugby League International World Cup of Nines will be held at Bankwest Stadium in October, featuring 12 men’s teams and three women’s. Kangaroos coach has vowed to pick the strongest possible side, earmarking Latrell Mitchell, Kalyn Ponga, James Tedesco, Damien Cook and Blake Ferguson as possible selections.

Those same players could again feature in the abbreviated version of the game in February if the prizemoney is high enough for the clubs to risk their top talent.

The Nines kicked off in Auckland five years ago and initially attracted large crowds before interest began to dwindle. The initial tournaments were staged by promoter Duco Events, but the NRL will take control of the Nines for the move to Perth. The Roosters are the carryover champions after beating the Panthers in the grand final in 2017.

The NRL has displayed a willingness to showcase marquee games in new markets. At least one State of Origin match per year is taken out of the heartland states of NSW and Queensland, while Brisbane was chosen as the location for the inaugural Magic Round.

The NRL is yet to decide whether to take the grand final out of the Harbour City for the first time following delays in delivering Sydney’s new stadium network. Brisbane will host the 2021 grand final if the NSW Government can’t come up with a suitable compensation package.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/perth-wins-bid-to-host-return-of-nrl-club-nines-20190818-p52i8z.html

• @WT2K said in Perth wins bid to host return of NRL club Nines:

Perth will host the club-based NRL nines competition when the pre-season event returns to the calendar next year.

While the contract hasn’t officially been inked, the city will pip Newcastle and Melbourne’s bids to stage the return of the abbreviated version of the game. The matches will be staged at the 20,000-seat HBF Stadium, the home of A-League side Perth Glory. The development is a huge coup for Perth, which is pushing to introduce an NRL franchise should Rugby League Central opt to expand the game. The governing body is in the process of formulating a blueprint for the game’s future, a piece of work that will be delivered after the conclusion of the season.

The three cities jockeying for hosting Nines rights all put in competitive bids for the two-day event, which will be the first official rugby league event of the 2020 season in mid-February. However, the Western Australian government upped the ante after successfully hosting the second State of Origin game at Optus in June. A crowd of almost 60,000 witnessed NSW’s 38-6 victory, the match providing a financial windfall to organisers and for the city via the associated tourism revenue.

The Canterbury Bulldogs recently committed to taking one game to HBF Stadium per season for the next three years in an indication of the appetite for rugby league in the city.

The Nines were held in Auckland for four years from 2014, although the fixture was taken off the schedule due to player workload concerns revolving around the last Rugby League World Cup. There were fears the concept would not be revived, but fans will soon get to experience two Nines tournaments in the space of four months. The Rugby League International World Cup of Nines will be held at Bankwest Stadium in October, featuring 12 men’s teams and three women’s. Kangaroos coach has vowed to pick the strongest possible side, earmarking Latrell Mitchell, Kalyn Ponga, James Tedesco, Damien Cook and Blake Ferguson as possible selections.

Those same players could again feature in the abbreviated version of the game in February if the prizemoney is high enough for the clubs to risk their top talent.

The Nines kicked off in Auckland five years ago and initially attracted large crowds before interest began to dwindle. The initial tournaments were staged by promoter Duco Events, but the NRL will take control of the Nines for the move to Perth. The Roosters are the carryover champions after beating the Panthers in the grand final in 2017.

The NRL has displayed a willingness to showcase marquee games in new markets. At least one State of Origin match per year is taken out of the heartland states of NSW and Queensland, while Brisbane was chosen as the location for the inaugural Magic Round.

The NRL is yet to decide whether to take the grand final out of the Harbour City for the first time following delays in delivering Sydney’s new stadium network. Brisbane will host the 2021 grand final if the NSW Government can’t come up with a suitable compensation package.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/perth-wins-bid-to-host-return-of-nrl-club-nines-20190818-p52i8z.html

Bloody awesome, great way to back up after origin.

• Exactly the way we should ignore our regional and country fans and reward a city who couldn’t support a NRL the 1st time round

Maybe it should be named the soon to be city of a team who didn’t want to be relocated to Perth 9’s tournament

• @happy_tiger said in Perth wins bid to host return of NRL club Nines:

Exactly the way we should ignore our regional and country fans and reward a city who couldn’t support a NRL the 1st time round

Maybe it should be named the soon to be city of a team who didn’t want to be relocated to Perth 9’s tournament

Catchy name🙄

• Last par most interesting

• Awesome nice

Exactly the way we should ignore our regional and country fans and reward a city who couldn’t support a NRL the 1st time round

Perth were killed by the Superleague war, not through lack of support. It was a mistake that we gave up on them.

• @innsaneink said in Perth wins bid to host return of NRL club Nines:

Last par most interesting

It would be a good thing, I think, to get a GF taken out of Sydney. It should be more like the Superbowl, where the GF moves around and is a showpiece for whichever city wins the bid each year. Not just a default Sydney thing.

NRL were canny to commit grand finals to Sydney based on guaranteed stadia upgrades, then to publicly demand compensation for potential delays in opening those stadia. It’s win-win, because if NRL do move the GF to Brisbane, the NSW govt have given them a scapegoat to make it more palatable for the traditionalists.

I’m born and bred in Sydney, but the continuing focus on Sydney as the be-all of rugby league hurts expansion and ultimately curbs growth of the game.

• @Juro said in Perth wins bid to host return of NRL club Nines:

@happy_tiger said in Perth wins bid to host return of NRL club Nines:

Perth were killed by the Superleague war, not through lack of support. It was a mistake that we gave up on them.

Well the NRL haven’t given up on them obviously …and I bet when they think relocation to Perth they think of one side …

And it won’t fix the one home ground issue either

My other point is this , the NRL just ignores some of the games best fans yet again …but when you live within an hour and a half’s travel between 7/8 NRL sides I suppose the fans that live 6 hours plus away just don’t matter …do they

• When somewhere else has an 80k seating capacity stadium - the NRL should look at it, not before.

@Juro said in Perth wins bid to host return of NRL club Nines:

Well the NRL haven’t given up on them obviously …and I bet when they think relocation to Perth they think of one side …

My other point is this , the NRL just ignores some of the games best fans yet again …but when you live within an hour and a half’s travel between 7/8 NRL sides I suppose the fans that live 6 hours plus away just don’t matter …do they

Why do they matter more than fans that live in Perth?

• ForumSupporter

Holy Moley…it’s 9’s calm down…

• Well said @jirskyr I agree with your thoughts completely ☺

• @gallagher said in Perth wins bid to host return of NRL club Nines:

Why do they matter more than fans that live in Perth?

The last point was to do with Sydney based on fans …I just don’t think they realize how hard and how expensive it to travel , get accomodation and watch a game

• @Geo said in Perth wins bid to host return of NRL club Nines:

Holy Moley…it’s 9’s calm down…

Course there not going to look at numbers and try and work out the viability of a possible NRL side being relocated

Time for you , Big Bird and Snuffy to chase rainbows

Recent Topics