Wests Tigers sign young Queensland duo

• https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2019/08/21/wests-tigers-sign-young-queensland-duo/

Wests Tigers are pleased to announce the signing of talented young Queensland duo Jake Simpkin and Reece Hoffman, who will join the club ahead of the 2020 NRL season.

Both players will join Wests Tigers on Development contracts next season, where they will train full-time with the NRL squad but will not be eligible to play first-grade until after Round 16.

Simpkin will join the NRL squad in 2021 while Hoffman will join the side in 2022.

Wests Tigers Recruitment Manager David Warwick welcomed the pair to the club.

“On behalf of all at Wests Tigers, we’re very pleased to have Jake and Reece on board from next year and we’d like to welcome them to the club,” Warwick said.

“Besides their strong physical attributes for their age, Jake and Reece have a great knowledge of the game and composure which stands out across their age group.

“The privilege for them now is to have that year of training full-time and continue to work on their body to be ready for the NRL and play at the highest level.

"Having them come as Development Players really puts the club and them in a good place with their progress and we’re excited to watch them take the next steps of their careers at Wests Tigers.”

A Southern Suburbs Tigers junior, Simpkin has already achieved a number of junior representative honours for Queensland with selection in the U/16’s side in 2017, as well in the Queensland U/18’s side that defeated New South Wales earlier this year.

Hoffman was also part of the winning Maroons side after starring at centre, and previously helped Wynnum-Manly to the Auswide Bank Mal Meninga Cup Grand Final earlier in the year alongside Simpkin.

Both players will join the club in November for the start of 2020 pre-season training.

• tldr:

Jake Simpkin: 1 year development contract (2020), 2 years NRL top 30 (2021-2022).
    Reece Hoffman: 2 years development contract (2020-2021), 1 year NRL top 30 (2022).

Both are eligible for first grade starting round 17 in 2020.
    Hoffman will not be eligible for first grade in 2021 until round 17.

It wasn’t completely clear, but that’s how I’m reading it at least. Someone posted already in the rumours thread, but this needs its own one.

• @Kazoo-Kid so Simpkin, rd. 17 next year could be on the cards if we’re struggling @ hooker??

• @TieDye It’s entirely possible, but r17 is really late in the season. We could be dead already by then without a no. 9. Liddle may not even be recovered by then.

• ForumSupporter

@TheDaBoss said in Wests Tigers sign young Queensland duo:

already mentioned

https://weststigersforum.com/topic/25895/signing-suggestions-rumours

Signing announcements deserve their on thread…not lost in the dribble of suggestions and rumours…

Welcome aboard Jake and Reece…

Good to see David Warwick is still here as well…Development recruitment ticking boxes…

• Welcome to WT, Jake and Reece 🐯

Liking the recruitment strategy 👍

• Welcome lads. Sound like quality, promising young recruits in areas of clear need. Looking forward to seeing them play and develop in our colours!

• Trying not to get too excited at Simpkin but eagerly awaiting to see how he develops next year.

• @Cultured_Bogan You’re not alone mate. Great young prospect, first of many I’d say

• Very much looking forward to seeing how both players develop over the next couple of years - at least we’re on the right track to developing a couple of top notch centres.

• Are they 2 different players, or just a Queenslander where each head has a different name

• @Harvey said in Wests Tigers sign young Queensland duo:

Are they 2 different players, or just a Queenslander where each head has a different name

high iq post

• A few on here will recall Delouise Hoeter…

I hope Hoffman doesn’t learn too much off Hoeter…he was a pretty average player

Queensland centre Hoffman finds balance thanks to Hoeter

The greats of rugby league have all had mentors and Queensland Under 18 centre Reece Hoffman is no different.

Hoffman has credited Wynnum Manly Seagulls star back Delouise Hoeter for helping him on and off the field in rewarding ways, as he prepares for the game of his life at Suncorp Stadium on Wednesday night.

Master coach Wayne Bennett looked to legendary league figures such as Ron Massey and Bobby Bax for guidance, while Queensland Maroons centre Will Chambers said in Queensland camp this week how his mentor Greg Inglis had left him a legacy of self-belief ahead of his showdown with Latrell Mitchell.

Hoffman, a star for Wynnum Manly in the Auswide Bank Mal Meninga Cup competition this year, is a footy-head who said he needed to find balance in his life, which he now has as a teacher aide at his former school.

Hoeter, who has been on fire at centre and wing in the Intrust Super Cup, is a massive influence for Hoffman.

“At the moment I am sitting behind Delouise Hoeter at Wynnum and I am learning a lot from him,” Hoffman said.

"I train with Delouise and try and learn as much as I can off him.

"On the field he has been very good at getting me to play to my strengths and is always one to offer his assistance.

"Delouise has had a fantastic season and he has been very good with my footy, but just as importantly off the field.

“I am always thinking about footy and he has been good at getting my mind off footy and making sure I focus on other things in life and have that balance.”

Hoffman has walked the talk in that regard and is now working at Alexandra Hills State High.

“I graduated last year and got into uni to do teaching but I have deferred that because my old school Alex’ Hills offered me a job as a teacher aide,” Hoffman said.

“I do that four days a week. I start in the gym, and then I might go out on the footy field and help out the younger grades because there is a rugby league program there.

"Dela’ has just told me to enjoy the process.

“I got into teaching at uni and when the opportunity came up at my old school I thought it would be good to put that on my resume that I have already worked with kids before going to uni.”

Hoffman is not signed to any NRL club at the moment, but hopes the showdown with NSW will put his name on the map and open an opportunity.

“This is going to be the biggest game of my life so far and hopefully we can get over NSW. That would mean the world,” Hoffman said.

"This is my first time in a Queensland team, so I am stoked to be a part of it.

"I like to think that I am smart with everything I do. I like to push up with the ball and be good with my communication with my half and counting numbers in defence and attack, and letting my winger know.

“When I get the ball I have lines I like to run. I’m learning all the time. I am looking forward to playing with (halfback) Sam Walker. He is obviously an enormous talent and I’ll be pushing up with him and letting him give me some ball. He can throw a pass. He’s already proved that at training.”

Hoffman was one of Wynnum’s best in the state final of the Auswide Bank Mal Meninga Cup competition and has eye on continuing to make progress.

“A few of us (under 18s) have progressed up to two games in the under 20s competition for Wynnum and played Mustangs and Norths and beat them,” Hoffman said.

"I’ll see how I go throughout the year and hopefully I can go on to bigger and better things.

“The centres I have looked up to in the NRL are Greg Inglis and Josh Dugan. They have been there and lived it and that is where I want to be.”

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2019/06/03/queensland-centre-hoffman-finds-balance-thanks-to-hoeter/

• @tigerap It’s interesting the amount of young players (16-18 years old) in the Queensland Cup that are being snapped up by NRL clubs in the last year or two. I wonder if there’s an increase or if it’s more the fact it’s actually being reported now.

Recent Topics